A novel suspended twin-core fiber (STCF) based on a single-nanoweb structure for optical switching is proposed. The singlenanoweb structure of the STCF is an ultrathin glass membrane (nanoweb) suspended in air and adhered to the inner ring of a glass fiber capillary, which substantially provides a built-in transducing mechanism to boost the pressure-induced index change in the fiber core region of the STCF. Two fiber cores locate symmetrically in the center of the nanoweb, resulting to the mode coupling for the guiding light in the STCF. Optical and mechanical properties of the proposed STCFs under different pressure force are numerically investigated. Optical switching based on the STCF is achieved by controlling the pressure force applied to the STCF. Our simulations show that optical switching from one core to the other in the STCF is realized based on a low switching force of only 8 N. The performances of the optical switching based on STCFs with different structure parameters are presented.
1. Berthold, J., A. A. M. Saleh, L. Blair, and J. M. Simmons, "Optical networking: Past, present, and future," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 26, 1104-1118, 2008. doi:10.1109/JLT.2008.923609
2. Saleh, A. A. M. and J. M. Simmons, "All-optical networking-evolution, benefits, challenges, and future vision," Proc. of IEEE, Vol. 100, 1105-1117, 2012. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2011.2182589
3. Wang, X., Y. Ji, L. Bai, H. Xing, and J. Fu, "Design and experimental demonstration of network coding in all-optical multicast networks," Proc. of IC-NIDC, 500-504, 2009.
4. Rejeb, R., M. S. Leeson, and R. J. Green, "Fault and attack management in all-optical networks," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 44, 79-86, 2006. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2006.248169
5. Payne, D. B. and J. R. Stern, "Transparent single-mode fiber optical networks," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 4, 864-869, 1986. doi:10.1109/JLT.1986.1074812
6. Marciniak, M., "IP/optical networks: The impact of optical transparency," LFNM, 25-36, Kaharkiv, Ukraine, 2001.
7. Moghaddam, E. S., J. Tapolcai, and D. Mazroa, "Physical impairment of monitoring trails in all optical transparent networks," Int. Congress on Ultra Modern Telecommunications and Control Systems and Workshops (ICUMT), 1-7, 2011,ISBN 978-963-8111-77.
8. Krishnan, S. and A. Borude, "Security issues in all-optical networks," 2011 Annual SRII Global Conference, 790-794, 2011. doi:10.1109/SRII.2011.108
9. Zhang, J. and Y. Zhao, "Routing and spectrum assignment problem in three-C-aware dynamic flexible optical networks," Proc. of SPIE-OSA-IEEE Asia Communications and Photonics, Vol. 8310, 1-7, 2011.
10. Cuda, D., R. M. Indre, E. L. Rouzic, and J. Roberts, "Building a low-energy transparent optical wide area network with `multipaths‘," J. Opt. Commun. Netw., Vol. 5, 56-67, 2013. doi:10.1364/JOCN.5.000056
11. Yan, L., A. E. Willner, X. Wu, A. Li, A. Bogoni, Z. Y. Chen, and H. Y. Jiang, "All-optical signal processing for ultrahigh speed optical systems and networks," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 30, 3760-3770, 2012. doi:10.1109/JLT.2012.2205134
12. Johansson, S., M. Lindblom, P. Granestrand, B. Lagerstrom, and L. Thylen, "Optical cross-connect system in broad-band networks: System concept and demonstrators description," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 11, 688-694, 1993. doi:10.1109/50.233234
13. Simmons, J. M., Optical Network Design and Planning, Springer-Verlag, New York, 2008.
14. Borobic, B., C. Hong, A. Q. Liu, L. Xie, and F. L. Lewis, "Control of a MEMS optical switch," 43rd IEEE Conf. Decision and Control, 3039-3044, 2004.
15. Owusu, K. O., F. L. Lewis, B. Borovic, and A. Q. Liu, "Nonliner control of a MEMS optical switch," 45rd IEEE Conf. Decision and Control, 597-602, 2006. doi:10.1109/CDC.2006.377521
16. Abdulla, S. M. C., L. J. Kauppinen, M. Dijkstra, E. Berenschot, M. J. de Boer, R. M. de Ridder, and G. J. M. Krijnen, "Mechano-optical switching in a MEMS integrated photonic crystal slab waveguide," IEEE 24th Int. Conf. on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, 9-12, 2011.
17. Li, M. G., D. J. Tebben, M. J. Soulliere, S. Hilbert, M. Zhao, I. Lelic, D. G. Hoefer, M. Gauland, V. Kaliniouk, L. Guiziou, J.-M. Jouanno, and R. E. Wagner, "Two-fiber optical channel shared protection ring with 4 x 4 thermal-optic switches," Proc. OFC 2001, Vol. 2, 228-229, 2001.
18. Perron, D., M. Wu, C. Horvath, D. Bachman, and V. Van, "All-optical switching in SU-8 conductor-gap-dielectric plasmonic microring resonator using thermal nonlinearity," Proc. Quantum Electronics and Laser Science Conf., 1-2, Baltimore, MD, 2011.
19. Li, C. and A. W. Poon, "Silicon electro-optic switching based on coupled-microring resonators," Conf. on Lasers and ElectroOptics (CLEO), 1-2, 2007.
20. Ghafoori-Fard, H., M. J. Moghimi, and A. Rostami, "Linear and nonlinear superimposed Bragg grating: A novel proposal for all-optical multi-wavelength filtering and switching," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 243-266, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07072903
21. Jain, K., R. Mehra, and P. H. K. Dixit, "Optimization of 2 x 2 Mach-Zehnder interferometer electro-optic switch," 3th Int. Conf. on Computer and Communication Technology, 171-174, 2012.
22. Skirtach, A. G., S. A. Boothroyd, and C. P. Grover, "Measurement of the nonlinear response in a strongly pumped erbium doped amplifiers for all-optical switching," Proc. OFC'99, 279-281, 1999.
23. Yakshin, M. A., C. R. Prasad, G. Schwemmer, M. Banta, and I. H. Hwang, "Compact, diode-pumped Yb :YAG laser with combination acousto-optic and passive Q-switch for LIDAR applications," OSA/CLEO, 1-2, 2011.
24. Kurumida, J. and S. J. B. Yoo, "Nonlinear optical signal processing in optical packet switching systems," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 18, 978-987, 2012. doi:10.1109/JSTQE.2011.2143390
25. Khorrami, Y., V. Ahmadi, and M. Razaghi, "Tb/s all-optical nonlinear switching using semiconductor optical amplifier based Mach-Zehnder interferometer," 20th Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE 2012), 118-123, Tehran, Iran, 2012. doi:10.1109/IranianCEE.2012.6292336
26. Aboujeib, J., A. Perennou, V. Quintard, and J. L. Bihan, "Evaluation of the crosstalk and losses in a multi-transducer acousto-optic switch," 3rd IEEE Int. Conf. Information and Communications Technologies: From Theory to Application (ICTTA'08), 1-6, Damascus, Apr. 7-11, 2008.
27. Ma, X. and G.-S. Kuo, "Optical switching technology comparison: Optical MEMS vs. other technologies," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 41, S16-S23, 2003. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2003.1222716
28. Chen, D. and L. Shen, "Highly birefringent elliptical-hole photonic crystal fibers with double defect," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 25, 2700-2705, 2007. doi:10.1109/JLT.2007.902114
29. Chen, D., M.-L. Vincent Tse, and H.-Y. Tam, "Super-lattice structure photonic crystal fiber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 11, 53-64, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERM09120701
30. Chen, D., G. Hu, X. A. Liu, B. Peng, and G. Wu, "Bending analysis of a dual-core photonic crystal fiber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 293-307, 2011.
31. Khan, K. R., S. Bidnyk, and T. J. Hall, "Tunable all optical switch implemented in a liquid crystal filled dual-core photonic crystal fiber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 22, 179-189, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERM11102810
32. Chen, D., M.-L. V. Tse, C. Wu, H. Y. Fu, and H. Y. Tam, "Highly birefringent four-hole fiber for pressure sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 145-158, 2011.
33. Wu, J.-J., D. Chen, K.-L. Liao, T.-J. Yang, and W.-L. Ouyang, "The optical properties of Bragg fiber with a fiber core of 2-dimension elliptical-hole photonic crystal structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 87-95, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09061804
34. Chau, Y.-F., C.-Y. Liu, H.-H. Yeh, and D. P. Tsai, "A comparative study of high birefringence and low confinement loss photonic crystal fiber employing elliptical air holes in fiber cladding with tetragonal lattice," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 39-52, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10042405
35. Chen, D. and L. Shen, "Ultrahigh birefringent photonic crystal fiber with ultralow confinement loss," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 19, 185-187, 2007. doi:10.1109/LPT.2006.890040
36. Beltran-Meja, F., G. Chesini, E. Silvestre, A. K. George, J. C. Knight, and C. M. B. Cordeiro, "Ultrahigh-birefringent squeezed lattice photonic crystal fiber with rotated elliptical air holes," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, 544-546, 2010. doi:10.1364/OL.35.000544
37. Saitoh, K. and M. Koshiba, "Chromatic dispersion control in photonic crystal fibers: Application to ultra-flattened dispersion," Opt. Express, Vol. 11, 843-852, 2004. doi:10.1364/OE.11.000843
38. Nozhat, N. and N. Granpayeh, "Specialty fibers designed by photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 225-244, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09092309
39. Chen, D., M.-L. Vincent Tse, and H.-Y. Tam, "Optical properties of photonic crystal fibers with a fiber core of arrays of subwavelength circular air holes: Birefringence and dispersion," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 193-212, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10042706
40. Singh, V. and D. Kumar, "Modal dispersion characteristics of a Bragg fiber having plasma in the cladding regions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 167-181, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08112702
41. Huttunen, A. and P. Torma, "Optimization of dual-core and microstructure fiber geometries for dispersion compensation and large mode area," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, 627-635, 2005. doi:10.1364/OPEX.13.000627
42. Yang, S., Y. Zhang, X. Peng, Y. Lu, S. Xie, J. Li, W. Chen, Z. Jiang, J. Peng, and H. Li, "Theoretical study and experimental fabrication of high negative dispersion photonic crystal fiber with large area mode field," Opt. Express, Vol. 14, 3015-3023, 2006. doi:10.1364/OE.14.003015
43. Knight, J. C. and D. V. Skryabin, "Nonlinear waveguide optics and photonic crystal fibers," Opt. Express, Vol. 15, 15365-15376, 2007. doi:10.1364/OE.15.015365
44. Shen, G.-F., X.-M. Zhang, H. Chi, and X.-F. Jin, "Microwave/millimeter-wave generation using multi-wavelength photonic crystal fiber Brillouin laser," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 307-320, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07112202
45. Briks, T. A., J. C. Knight, and P. St. J. Russel, "Endlessly single-mode photonic crystal fiber," Opt. Lett., Vol. 22, 961-963, 1997. doi:10.1364/OL.22.000961
46. Lian, Z., P. Horak, X. Feng, L. Xiao, K. Frampton, N. White, J. A. Tucknott, H. Rutt, D. N. Payne, W. Stewart, and W. H. Loh, "Nanomechanical optical fiber," Opt. Express, Vol. 20, 29386-29394, 2012. doi:10.1364/OE.20.029386
47. Szpulak, M., T. Martynkien, and W. Urbanczyk, "Effects of hydrostatic pressure on phase and group modal birefringence in microstructured holey fibers," Appl. Opt., Vol. 43, 4739-4744, 2004. doi:10.1364/AO.43.004739
48. Wu, C., B. O. Guan, Z. Wang, and X. Feng, "Characterization of pressure response of Bragg gratings in grapefruit microstructured fibers," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 28, 1392-1397, 2010. doi:10.1109/JLT.2010.2042277
49. Huang, W. P., "Coupled-mode theory for optical waveguides: An overview," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 11, 963-983, 1994. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.11.000963
50. Nogueira, R. N., I. Abe, A. J. Fernandes, H. J. Kalinowski, J. R. F. da Rocha, and J. L. Pinto, "Spatial characterization of fiber Bragg grating structures using transversal pressure," Optics Communications, Vol. 259, 110-114, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2005.08.033
51. Xie, H. M., P. Dabkiewicz, R. Ulrich, and K. Okamoto, "Side-hole fiber for fiber-optic pressure sensing," Opt. Lett., Vol. 11, 333-335, 1986. doi:10.1364/OL.11.000333