We hybridize vector Finite Element Method (FEM) and a Modified Multimodal Variational Formulation (MMVF) to the accurate and fast design of complex isotropic rectangular filters. The MMVF is applied to the full-wave description in the rectangular waveguides while the FEM characterizes waves in the arbitrarily shaped discontinuities. The proposed hybrid method is applied to the full-wave analysis of circuits with great practical interest (i.e., cross-shaped iris and multimode filters), thus improving CPU time and memory storage against several full-wave FEM based Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools (i. e. HFSS High Frequency Structural Simulator). The performances of the proposed hybrid method are validated with experimental results and HFSS simulations.
1. Wexler, A., "Solution of waveguide discontinuities by modal analysis," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 15, No. 9, 508-517, Sep. 1967. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1967.1126521
2. Shih, Y. C., T. Itoh, and L. Q. Bui, "Computer-aided design of millimeter-wave E-plane filters," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 31, No. 9, 135-142, Feb. 1983. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1983.1131447
3. Tao, J. W. and H. Baudrand, "Multimodal variational analysis of uniaxial waveguide discontinuities," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 39, No. 3, 506-516, Mar. 1991. doi:10.1109/22.75293
4. Lilonga, D., J. W. Tao, and T. H. Vuong, "Uniaxial discontinuities analysis by a new multimodal variational method: Application to filter design," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 1, 77-83, Dec. 2006. doi:10.1002/mmce.20200
5. Jin, J., The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2001.
6. Bayer, R., F. Arndt, and , "Efficient modal analysis of waveguide filters including the orthogonal mode coupling elements by a MM/FE method," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 5, No. 1, 9-11, Jan. 1995. doi:10.1109/75.382376
7. Arndt, F., et al., "Automated design of waveguide components using hybrid mode-matching/numerical EM building-blocks in optimization-oriented CAD frameworks --- State-of-the-art and recent advances," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 45, No. 5, 747-760, May 1997. doi:10.1109/22.575597
8. Arndt, F., et al., "Fast CAD and optimization of waveguide components and aperture antennas by hybrid MM/FE/MoM/FD methods-state-of-the-art and recent advances," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 52, No. 1, 292-305, Jan. 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.820890
9. Arena, D., M. Ludovico, G. Manara, and A. Monorchio, "Analysis of waveguide discontinuities using edge elements in a hybrid mode matching/finite elements approach," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Lett., Vol. 11, No. 9, 379-381, Sep. 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.950767
10. Sheng, X. Q., K. W. Leung, and E. K. N. Yung, "Analysis of waveguide-fed dielectric resonator antenna using a hybrid finite element method/moment method," IEEE Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 151, No. 1, 91-95, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20040048
11. Bertini, S., A. Monorchio, and M. Bandinelli, "Efficient design of horn antennas by hybridizing mode matching/FEM with MoM," International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, 868-871, Sep. 17-21, 2007.
12. Sun, J. and C. Zhang, "Transmission characteristics analysis for mine tunnel with metallic wind bridge using hybrid MM/FEM approach," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Vol. 4, Dec. 4-7, 2005.
13. Yahia, M., J. W. Tao, H. Benzina, and M. N. Abdelkrim, "Analysis of complex rectangular waveguide discontinuities using hybrid MVM-FEM," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 111-114, Dec. 2009.
14. Yahia, M., J. W. Tao, H. Benzina, and M. N. Abdelkrim, "Complex 2D discontinuities analysis using hybrid finite element method and a modi¯ed multimodal variational formulation-application to filter design," European Microwave Conference, 1301-1304, Sep. 26-Oct. 1, 2010.
15. Marcuvitz, N., Waveguide Handbook, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1951.
16. Amari, S., "Application of representation theory to dual-mode microwave bandpass filter," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 57, No. 3, 430-441, Feb. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2011194