A compact printed dipole antenna with wide impedance bandwidth is proposed in this paper. This antenna consists of a pair of radiation metal arms and a microstrip-to-slotline transition structure. At the end of the feeding slotted line, a beveled slot with stepped connection structure is designed to realize an offset feeding structure for feeding the dipole antenna. By using the beveled offset feeding structure, the bandwidth of the dipole antenna is significantly improved. The microstrip-to-slotline transition is used as an integrated balun to realize a balanced feeding for the dipole antenna. To demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed design, a prototype of the designed antenna is fabricated and measured. The measured results show that the designed dipole antenna achieves a gain of 2.2-4.4 dBi across a wide impedance bandwidth from 2.65 GHz to 17.5 GHz with a compact size (33 mm×16 mm). The performance of the proposed dipole antenna is also compared with some similar printed dipole antennas with respect to overall size, substrate dielectric constant, impedance bandwidth and antenna gain.
Qing Huo Liu,
"A Compact Printed Dipole Antenna for Wideband Wireless Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 50, 95-102, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14040207
1. Chu, Q.-X. and L.-H. Ye, "Design of compact dual-wideband antenna with assembled monopoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 12, 4063-4066, Dec. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2078451
2. Liu, W. X., Y. Z. Yin, W. L. Xu, and S. L. Zuo, "Compact open-slot antenna with bandwidth enhancement," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 850-853, 2011.
3. Zhou, Z., S. Yang, and Z. Nie, "A novel broadband printed dipole antenna with low cross-polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3091-3093, Jan. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.908570
4. Wang, F.-J., J.-S. Zhang, X.-X. Yang, and G.-P. Gao, "Time domain characteristics of a double-printed UWB dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 161-168, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08032402
5. Ling, J., S.-X. Gong, B. Lu, H.-W. Yuan, W.-T. Wang, and S. Liu, "A microstrip printed dipole antenna with UC-EB ground for RCS reduction," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5-6, 607-616, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788019868
6. Eldek, A. A., "Design of double dipole antenna with enhanced usable bandwidth for wideband phased array applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 1-15, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06012001
7. Othman, M. A., T. M. Abuelfadl, and A. M. E. Safwat, "Dual and wide-band inductively-loaded dipole-based antennas for WLAN/UMTS applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1430-1435, Mar. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2227659
8. Behera, A. R. and A. R. Harish, "A novel printed wideband dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 9, 4418-4422, Sep. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207042
9. Cappelletti, G., D. Caratelli, R. Cicchetti, and M. Simeoni, "A low-profile printed drop-shaped dipole antenna for wide-band wireless applications," EEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 10, 3526-3534, Oct. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2163767
10. Duffley, B. G., G. A. Morin, M. Mikavica, and Y. M. M. Antar, "A wide-band printed double-sided dipole array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 2, 628-631, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.823998
11. Yeo, J. and J.-I. Lee, "Modified series-fed two-dipole-array antenna with reduced size," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 214-217, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2245297
12. Wang, F.-J. and J.-S. Zhang, "Wideband printed dipole antenna for multiple wireless services," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 11, 1469-1477, Sep. 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307782000389
13. Li, W. Y., K. L. Wong, and S. W. Su, "Ultra-wideband planar shorted dipole antenna with two C-shaped arms for wireless communications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 5, 1132-1135, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22381
14. Nazli, H., E. Bicak, B. Turetken, and M. Sezgin, "An improved design of planar elliptical dipole antenna for UWB applications ," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 264-267, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2046999
15. Kiminami, K., A. Hirata, and T. Shiozawa, "Double-sided printed bow-tie antenna for UWB communications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 3, 152-153, 2004. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.832126
16. Hirata, A., "Double-sided printed bow-tie antenna with notch filter for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 247-253, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787604328
17. Zhang, J. P., Y. S. Xu, and W. D. Wang, "Ultra-wideband microstrip-fed planar elliptical dipole antenna ," Electronics Letter, Vol. 42, 152-153, Feb. 2006.
18. Hu, Y.-S., M. Li, G.-P. Gao, J.-S. Zhang, and M.-K. Yang, "A double-printed trapezoidal patch dipole antenna for UWB applications with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 259-269, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011604
19. Gao, F., F. Zhang, L. Lu, T. Ni, and Y. Jiao, "Low-profile dipole antenna with enhanced impedance and gain performance for wideband wireless applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 372-375, 2013.
20. Low, X. N., Z. N. Chen, and T. S. P. See, "A UWB dipole antenna with enhanced impedance and gain performance," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2959-2966, Oct. 2009.
21. Suh, S. Y., V. K. Nair, A. Konanur, U. Karacaoglu, and K. H. Lee, "Wireless performance improvement using an embedded balance dipole antenna in laptop computer considering platform noise impact," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp., 1-4, 2008.
22. Yeoh, W. S., K. L. Wong, and W. S. T. Rowe, "Wideband miniaturized half bowtie printed dipole antenna with integrated balun for wireless applications," EEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 1, 339-342, Jan. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2090459
23. He, Q.-Q., B.-Z. Wang, and J. He, "Wideband and dual-band design of a printed dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 1-3, 2008.
24. Ma, T.-G. and S.-K. Jeng, "A printed dipole antenna with tapered slot feed for ultrawide-band applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3833-3836, Nov. 2005.
25. Wu, X. H. and Z. N. Chen, "Comparison of planar dipoles in UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 6, 1973-1983, Jun. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.848471