A simple microstrip circular disc antenna to excite circularly polarized radiation is presented. In a single-probe fed circular disc sector patch, the corners are further truncated to obtain circular polarization characteristics. The truncation helps to reduce the ground plane dimensions making the antenna more compact with overall dimensions of 50 mm x 50 mm x 1.6 mm. The lengths of truncation necessary to achieve circular polarization are mathematically expressed. The simulated and experimental results are compared and are found to be in good agreement. Axial ratio bandwidth of 1.3% is obtained. The overall size reduction is 55% in comparison with the original disc sector antenna. The antenna resonates in the UMTS 1900-2170 MHz band and can be employed for Mobile Communication applications.
1. Sung, Y. J. and Y. S. Kim, "Circular polarised microstrip patch antennas for broadband and dual-band operation," Electron. Letters, Vol. 40, No. 9, 520-521, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20040379
2. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Peter Peregrinus, London, 1989.
3. Sharma, P. C. and K. C. Gupta, "Analysis and optimized design of single feed circularly polarised microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 29, 949-955, 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143162
4. Tang, C. L., J.-H. Lu, and K.-L. Wong, "Circularly polarised equilateral triangular microstrip antenna with truncated tip," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 13, 1277-1278, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19980906
5. Hsu, W.-H. and K. L. Wong, "Circularly polarised disk-sector microstrip antenna ," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 23, 2188-2190, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19981587
6. Stutzman, W. L., Polarization in Electromagnetic Systems, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1993.
7. Lu, J., C. Tang, K. Wong, and K. L. Wong, "Single-feed slotted equilateral-triangular microstrip antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 7, 1174-1178, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.785749