A new direction-of-arrival (DOA) and power estimation method of unknown number of source signals is proposed. The direction and power of coherent and/or non-coherent signals are estimated by controlling the roots of the array polynomial on the unit circle. The genetic algorithm is used to find the phases of the array polynomial roots that minimize the array output power. The pseudo-spectrum is obtained by phase rotation of the estimated roots, and the real power spectrum is derived from the pseudo-spectrum and the array factor. The results indicate that the direction of arrivals, power of the signals, and number of source signals are estimated from the real power spectrum.
Mohammad Jamil Mismar,
Taiseer Hasan Ismail,
"DOA and Power Estimation by Controlling the Roots of the Antenna Array Polynomial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 46, 193-201, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERM16011604
1. Godara, L., "Application of antenna arrays to mobile communications, Part II: Beam-forming and direction-of-arrival considerations," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 85, No. 8, 1195-1245, 1997. doi:10.1109/5.622504
2. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 3, 276-280, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143830
3. Wong, K. M., J. P. Reilly, Q. Wu, and S. Qiao, "Estimation of the direction of arrival of signals in unknown correlated noise, Part I: The MAP approach and its implementation," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 40, 2007-2017, 1992. doi:10.1109/78.150002
4. Ariananda, D. D. and G. Leus, "Direction of arrival estimation of correlated signals using a dynamic linear array," Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers (ASILOMAR), 2028-2035, Nov. 4-7, 2012.
5. Weiss, A. J., B. Friedlander, and P. Stoica, "Direction-of-arrival estimation using MODE with interpolated arrays," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 43, 296-300, 1995. doi:10.1109/78.365310
6. Zhu, W., J. Hu, X. Liu, Z. Liu, and M. Zhu, "Source number estimation using eigenspace in direction of arrival (DOA) estimate," OCEANS 2009 - Europe, 1-6, Bremen, May 11-14, 2009.
7. Qi, C. Y., Y. S. Zhang, Y. Han, and X. H. Chen, "An algorithm on high resolution DOA estimation with unknown number of signal sources," 4th International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 227-230, 2004.
8. Zhang, Y. and B. P. Ng, "MUSIC-Like DOA estimation without estimating the number of sources," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 3, 1668-1676, 2010. doi:10.1109/TSP.2009.2037074
9. Zhou, Q.-C., H. Gao, and F. Wang, "A high resolution DOA estimation method without estimating the number of sources," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 25, 233-247, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11102607
10. Chiang, C. T. and A. C. Chang, "DOA estimation in the asynchronous DS-CDMA system," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 1, 40-47, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.808547
11. Alamouti, S. M., "A simple transmit diversity technique for wireless communications," IEEE J. Selec. Areas Commun., Vol. 16, 1451-1458, 1998. doi:10.1109/49.730453
12. Hottinen, A., O. Tirkkonen, and R. Wichman, Multi-antenna Transceiver Techniques for 3G and Beyond, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 2003. doi:10.1002/0470014083
13. Naderi Shahi, S., M. Emadi, and K. H. Sadeghi, "High resolution DOA estimation in fully coherent environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 5, 135-148, 2008.
14. Sha, Z.-C., Z. Liu, Z. Huang, and Y. Zhou, "Direction estimation of correlated/coherent signals by sparsely representing the signal-subspace eigenvectors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 40, 37-52, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13040908
15. Arikan, F., O. Koroglu, S. Fidan, O. Arikan, and M. B. Guldogan, "Multipath separation-direction of arrival (MS-DOA) with genetic search algorithm for HF channels," Advances in Space Research, Vol. 44, 641-652, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.asr.2008.09.037
16. Mismar, M. J. and T. H. Ismail, "DOA estimation by controlling the nulls of the antenna array factor," Proceedings of the International Conference on Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering, and Mechatronics (EEETEM 2015), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Sep. 8-10, 2015.