This study focuses on the length estimation of ballistic targets based on the full-polarization range profiles measured by the wideband full-polarization radar system. Firstly, the mathematical model of full-polarization range profiles is introduced, and the full-polarization range profiles characteristics of typical ballistic targets are analyzed by using the microwave anechoic chamber measurement data. Secondly, three methods are proposed for target length estimation based on single-channel detection synthesis, SPAN power synthesis and target characteristic polarization, respectively. Then, comparison experiments among the proposed methods and the method based on single-polarization range profile are carried out. The results demonstrate that the extraction accuracy and the anti-noise performance of the method based on target characteristic polarization are better than the others. Furthermore, the influence of the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) on the length estimation is also discussed.
1. Chen, V. C., The Micro-Doppler Effect in Radar, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2011.
2. Zou, F., Y.-W. Fu, and W.-D. Jiang, "Micro-motion effect in inverse synthetic aperture radar imaging of ballistic mid-course targets," Journal of Central South University, Vol. 19, No. 6, 1548-1557, 2012. doi:10.1007/s11771-012-1175-2
3. Li, H.-J., Y.-D. Wang, and L.-H. Wang, "Matching score properties between range profiles of high-resolution radar targets," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 4, 444-452, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.489295
4. Zou, F., X. Li, and R. Togneri, "Inverse synthetic aperture radar imaging based on sparse signal processing," Journal of Central South University, Vol. 18, No. 5, 1609-1613, 2011. doi:10.1007/s11771-011-0879-z
5. Bai, X., F. Zhou, and Z. Bao, "High-resolution three-dimensional imaging of space targets in micromotion," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations And Remote Sensing, Vol. 8, No. 7, 3428-3440, 2015. doi:10.1109/JSTARS.2015.2431119
6. Huang, P., H. Yin, and X. Xu, The Characteristics of Radar Target, Publishing House of Electronics Industry, Beijing, China, 2005 (in Chinese).
7. Kim, K.-T., "Radar target identification using one-dimensional scattering centers," IEE Proceedings, Radar, Sonar, and Navigation, Vol. 148, No. 5, 285-296, 2001. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20010473
8. Yan, J., X. Feng, and P. Huang, "High resolution range profile statistical property analysis of radar target," Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Signal Processing, 1469-1472, 2002. doi:10.1109/ICOSP.2002.1180071
9. Li, H. J. and S.-H. Yang, "Using range profiles as feature vectors to identify aerospace objects," IEEE Transaction on Antenna Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 3, 261-268, 1993. doi:10.1109/8.233138
10. Rothwell, E. J., K. M. Chen, D. P. Nyquist, J. E. Ross, and R. Bebermeyer, "A radar target discrimination scheme using the discrete wavelet transform for reduced data storage," IEEE Transaction on Antenna Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 7, 1033-1037, 1994. doi:10.1109/8.299610
11. Jacobs, S. P., "Automatic target recognition using sequences of high resolution radar range-profiles," IEEE Trans. on AES, Vol. 36, No. 2, 364-381, 2000.
12. Feng, D.-J., "Study on radar target recognition and its evaluation in ballistic midcourse,", National University of Defense Technology, Changsha, 2006 (in Chinese).
13. Hussain, M. A., "HRR, length and velocity decision regions for rapid target identification," SPIE, Vol. 3810, 40-52, 1999.
14. Si, L.-F., D. Li, X.-S. Wang, and S.-P. Xiao, "Study of simulation on the dynamic full-polarization range profiles of ballistic missile," Journal of Astronautics, Vol. 26, No. 3, 345-348, 2005 (in Chinese).
15. Chen, X., L. Ma, Y.-Z. Li, and X.-S. Wang, "Research on the separability of ballistic targets’ polarimetry characteristics," Radar Science and Technology, Vol. 5, No. 9, 457-463, 2011 (in Chinese).