This work deals with the evaluation of the efficiency and optimal control of conductive fluids by using electromagnetic forces. An electromagnetic actuator based on a succession of electrodes and magnets annuli is implemented on the surface of the rotating cylinder of a Taylor-Couette device. Considering a laminar flow, the magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) problem is formulated and solved analytically. The different MHD powers, control efficiency and optimal values of the control parameters are evaluated.
1. Oualli, H., M. Mekadem, M. Lebbi, and A. Bouabdallah, "Taylor-Couette flow control by amplitude variation of the inner cylinder cross-section oscillation," Eur. Phys. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 71, 11102, 2015. doi:10.1051/epjap/2015140232
2. Albrecht, T., J. Stiller, H. Metzkes, T. Weier, and G. Gerbeth, "Electromagnetic flow control in poor conductors," Eur. Phys. J. Special Topics, 220-275, 2013.
3. Berger, T. W., J. Kim, C. Lee, and J. Lim, "Turbulent boundary layer control utilizing the Lorentz force," Physics of Fluids, Vol. 12, No. 3, 631-649, March 2000. doi:10.1063/1.870270
4. Weier, T., U. Fey, G. Gerbeth, G. Mutschke, O. Lielausis, and E. Platacis, "Boundary layer control by means of wall parallel Lorentz forces," Magnetohydrodynamics, Vol. 37, No. 1-2, 177-186, 2001.
5. Hinze, M., "Control of weakly conductive fluids by near wall Lorentz forces," GAMM-Mitt, Vol. 30, No. 1, 149-158, 2007. doi:10.1002/gamm.200790004
6. Thibault, J.-P. and L. Rossi, "Electromagnetic flow control: Characteristic numbers and flow regimes of a wall-normal actuator," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 36, No. 1, 2003.
7. Taylor, G. I., "Stability of viscous liquid contained between two rotating cylinders," Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A, Vol. 223, 289-343, 1923. doi:10.1098/rsta.1923.0008
8. Menana, H., J. F. Charpentier, and C. Gabillet, "Contribution to the MHD modeling in low speed radial flux AC machines with air-gaps filled with conductive fluids," IEEE Trans. Mag., Vol. 50, No. 1, 1-4, Vol. 8100104, January 2014. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2013.2281421
10. Dou, H.-S., B. C. Khoo, and K. S. Yeo, "Energy loss distribution in the plane couette flow and the Taylor-Couette flow between concentric rotating cylinders," Inter. J. of Therm. Sci., Vol. 46, 262-275, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2006.05.003