In this work, an E-shape Defected Ground Structure (DGS) is achieved to reduce the mutual coupling between two nearby microstrip antennas up to 47%(from 0.064 to 0.03). Both antennas radiate in the same frequency band of 10 GHz. The technique is based on a wall integrating periodic structure permitting the absorption of the electromagnetic field. By using this structure, it was possible to achieve a 20dB reduction in the insertion loss S21 between the two microstrip patch antennas with center-to-center distance of 0.37λ0 (λ0 is the free-space wavelength). The obtained coupling coefficient demonstrates that we have a good isolation between the two antennas. EM solver, simulating and measuring the reflection and transmission coefficients of the designed antenna arrays, achieves the reduction of the mutual coupling. The simulated results are verified by measuring the fabricated prototypes.
Naima Amar Touhami,
Abdelmounaim Belbachir Kchairi,
Hanae El ftouh,
"Novel Decoupling Technique for Enhancing the Mutual Coupling Between Printed Antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 60, 121-129, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17072610
1. Safa, Z., Z. Lahbib, and B. Seddik, "Conception of bi-band rectangular microstrip array antenna," Journal of Microwaves, Optoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications, Vol. 12, No. 1, 23-36, Jun. 2013. doi:10.1590/S2179-10742013000100003
2. Bancroft, R., Microstrip and Printed Antenna Design, Chap. 2-3, Noble Publishing, 2004.
3. Ghosh, C. K. and S. K. Parui, "Design, analysis and optimization of a slotted microstrip patch antenna array at frequency 5.25 GHz for WLAN-SDMA system," International Journal on Electrical Engineering and Informatics, Vol. 2, No. 2, 102-112, May 2010. doi:10.15676/ijeei.2010.2.2.3
4. Alam, M. M., Md. M. R. Sonchoy, and Md. O. Goni, "Design and performance analysis of microstrip array antenna," PIERS Proceedings, 1837-1842, Moscow, Russia, Augus. 18-21, 2009.
5. Oulhaj, O., N. A. Touhami, M. Aghoutane, and A. Tazon, "A miniature microstrip patch antenna array with defected ground structure," IJMOT, Vol. 11, No. 1, 32-39, Jan. 2016.
6. Huque, M. T. I., et al. "Design and simulation of a low-cost and high gain microstrip patch antenna arrays for the X-band applications," International Conference on Network Communication and Computer, New Delhi, India, Mar. 21-23, 2011.
7. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tec., Vol. 47, 2059-2074, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798001
8. Bait-Suwailam, M. M., O. F. Siddiqui, and O. M. Ramahi, "Artificial complementary resonators for mutual coupling reduction in microstrip antennas," Proceedings of the 41st European, 870-873, 2011.
9. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap structures a low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, 2936-2946, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817983
10. Garg, B., R. Tiwari, A. Kumar, and S. K. Thakur, "Design of broadband rectangular microstrip patch antenna inset `L' shaped feed with rectangular `L' slots in ground plane," International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 29, No. 1, 0975-8887, Sep. 2011. doi:10.5120/3532-4818
11. Chiu, C. Y., C. H. Cheng, R. D. Murch, and C. R. Rowell, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 1732-1738, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.898618
12. Wang, Y. and Z. Du, "A wideband printed dual-antenna with three neutralization lines for mobile terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 3, 1495-1500, Mar. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2295226
13. Kim, D.-O., Y.-J. Ko, U.-Y. Yoon, and D.-H. Cho, "Decoupling structure with complementary split ring resonators in parallel array patch antennas for MIMO applications," Proceedings of ISAP 2014, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Dec. 2-5, 2014.
14. Bait-Suwailiam, M. M., O. F. Siddiqui, and O. M. Ramahi, "Mutual coupling reduction between microstrip patch antennas using slotted complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 876-878, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2074175
15. Deukhyeon, G., Y. Lee, T. Song, and J. Choi, "Design of MIMO antenna with decoupling network for LTE mobile application," 2012 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 705-707, Dec. 2012. doi:10.1109/APMC.2012.6421710
16. Daniel, J., "Mutual coupling between antennas for emission or reception - Application to passive and active dipoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 22, 347-349, Mar. 1974. doi:10.1109/TAP.1974.1140774
17. Abramowicz, A., "Unified description of coupled resonators and coupled transmission lines," Physical Aspects of Microwave and Radar Applications, Vol. 119, No. 4, 548-552, 2011.
18. Belbachir, A. K., M. Boussouis, and N. A. Touhami, "High-performance LPF using coupled C-shape DGS and radial stub resonators for microwave mixer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 58, 97-103, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL15090105
19. Tecpoyotl-Torres, M., J. G. Vera Dimas, R. Castañeda-Sotelo, and R. Cabello-Ruiz, "Rectangular patch antenna array with defect ground structure for Wi-Fi," International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT), Vol. 3, No. 5, 365-371, Nov. 2013.
20. Rajo-Iglesias, E., Ó. Quevedo-Teruel, and L. Inclán-Sánchez, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna arrays by using a planar EBG structure and a multilayer dielectric substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1648-1655, Jun. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.923306
21. Bait-Suwailam, M. M., O. F. Siddiqui, and O. M. Ramahi, "Mutual coupling reduction between microstrip patch antennas using slotted-complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 876-878, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2074175
22. Habashi, A., J. Naurinia, and C. Ghbadi, "A rectangular defected ground structure for reduction of mutual coupling between closely spaced microstrip antennas," Proc. 20th Iranian Conf. Elect. Eng., 1347-1350, 2012.
23. Expósito-Domínguez, G., J. M. Fernández-González, P. Padilla, and M. Sierra-Castaner, "New EBG solutions for mutual coupling reduction," Proc. 6th EuCAP, 2841-2844, 2011.