In this paper, a CPW-fed compact metamaterial-inspired monopole antenna is proposed for Industrial, Scientific and Medical radio band (ISM, 2.4-2.483 GHz). The proposed antenna consists of a T-shaped patch and a set of split ring resonators (SRRs). The miniaturization is attained after loading SRRs in proximity to the T-shaped radiator, which makes the antenna structure electrically small. The measured fractional bandwidth of the antenna is 4% (2.42-2.52 GHz), and its size is 0.22λo× 0.098λo×0.013λo. In addition, the electrically equivalent circuit of the proposed antenna is modeled, and the resonant frequency is calculated by using an analytical approach. Also, the permeability plot of SRRs is extracted using Nicolson Ross weir method. The measured peak gain and radiation efficiency of the antenna are obtained as 1.76 dBi and 78.5%. The simulated results and measured results are found in a good agreement.
"SRR-Loaded Metamaterial-Inspired Electrically-Small Monopole Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 81, 11-19, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC17101202
1. Chu, L. J., "Physical limitations of omni-directional antennas," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 19, No. 12, 1163-1175, 1948. doi:10.1063/1.1715038
2. Wheeler, H. A., "Fundamental limitations of small antennas," IRE Proceedings, Vol. 35, l479-1484, 1947.
3. Ziolkowski, R. W. and A. Erentok, "At and below the Chu limit: passive and active broad bandwidth metamaterial-based electrically small antennas," IET Microwaves Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 1, 116-128, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20050342
4. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 637-641, ISBN: 0-471-66782-X, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2005.
5. Mclean, J. S., "A re-examination of the fundamental limits on the radiation Q of electrically small antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 44, No. 5, 672-676, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.496253
6. Best, S. R., "Electrically small resonant planar antennas: optimizing the quality factor and bandwidth," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 57, No. 3, 38-47, 2015. doi:10.1109/MAP.2015.2437271
7. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, ISBN: 9780471669852, John Wiley & Sons, 2005. doi:10.1002/0471754323
8. Si, L. M., W. Zhu, and H. J. Sun, "A compact, planar, and CPW-fed metamaterial-inspired dual-band antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 305-308, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2249037
9. Li, Y. and Q. Feng, "A compact tri-band monopole antenna with metamaterial loaded for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 6, 772-782, 2013. doi:10.1080/09205071.2013.786208
10. Psychoudakis, D. and L. V. John, "Conformal asymmetric meandered flare (AMF) antenna for body-worn applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 931-934, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2028662
11. Wang, P., G. J. Wen, Y.J. Huang, and Y. H. Sun, "Compact meander T-shaped monopole antenna for dual-band WLAN applications," Int. J. RF Microw. C.E., Vol. 23, No. 1, 67-73, 2013. doi:10.1002/mmce.20652
12. Chi, P. L., K. M. Leong, R. Waterhouse, and T. Itoh, "A miniaturized CPW-fed capacitor-loaded slot-loop antenna," IEEE International Symposium on Signals (ISSSE’07), 595-598, 2007. doi:10.1109/ISSSE.2007.4294546
13. Joshi, J. G., S. S. Pattnaik, S. Devi, and M. R. Lohokare, "Electrically small patch antenna loaded with metamaterial," IETE J. Res., Vol. 56, No. 6, 373-9, 2014.
14. Gonghan, W. and F. Quanyuan, "A novel coplanar waveguide feed zeroth-order resonant antenna with resonant ring," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 774-777, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2317211
15. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07082902
16. Chaturvedi, D., A. Kumar, and T. Shanmuganantham, "Asymmetric coplanar waveguide-fed CRLH-TL based antenna for WLAN/LTE applications," International conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies (ICCPCT), 1-4, 2015.
17. Rajeshkumar, V. and S. Raghavan, "A compact metamaterial inspired triple band antenna for reconfigurable WLAN/WiMAX applications," AEU-Int. J. Electron. C., Vol. 69, No. 1, 274-80, 2015.
18. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, Y.-Y. Lv, M.-Q. Qi, X. Gao, and S. Ge, "Multifrequency monopole antennas by loading metamaterial transmission lines with dual-shunt branch circuit," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 703-725, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12122409
19. Sarkar, D., K. Saurav, and K. V. Srivastava, "Multi-band microstrip-fed slot antenna loaded with split-ring resonator," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 2, 1498-1500, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2014.2625
20. Li, X. and J. Tian, "Low-profile fully-printed multi-frequency monopoles loaded with complementary metamaterial transmission line," Radioengineering, Vol. 24, No. 1, 64-9, 2015.
21. Bilotti, F., A. Toscano, L. Vegni, K. Aydin, K. B. Alici, and E. Ozbay, "Equivalent-circuit models for the design of metamaterials based on artificial magnetic inclusions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 55, No. 12, 2865-73, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.909611