A dual-function radar-communication system is a technology equipped with a joint platform that enables performing a radar function (primary function) and a communication function (secondary function) simultaneously. This duality has become increasingly necessary, since it alleviates congestion and ease competition over frequency spectrum. In this paper, we put forward a technique for information embedding, specifically to multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) radar employing frequency-hopping chirp (FHC) waveforms. We use FHC codes to implement the primary function (i.e., MIMO radar operation), while embedding communication symbol, for example, phase shift keying (PSK), in each FHC code for secondary function (i.e., communication operation). We show that the communication operation does not interfere with the MIMO radar function. In addition, standard ratio testing is used at the communication receiver to detect the embedded PSK symbols. Furthermore, the waveform designed has the superiorities of high range resolution, constant time domain and almost constant frequency-domain modulus, large time-bandwidth product, and low time-delay and frequency-shift correlation peaks. Numerical results show that: 1) data rates can be accurately detected, and thus, several Mbps are achieved in the system; 2) the SER performance characteristics are significantly improved; 3) the orthogonal frequency-hopping chirp waveforms achieve better range and Doppler resolution with reduced sidelobes levels compared to that of conventional frequency hopping waveforms.
1. Griffiths, H., S. Blunt, L. Chen, and L. Savy, "Challenge problems in spectrum engineering and waveform diversity," Proc. IEEE Radar Conf., 1-5, Ottawa, Canada, Apr.-May 2013.
2. Baylis, C., M. Fellows, L. Cohen, and R. J. Marks, "Solving the spectrum crisis: Intelligent, reconfigurable microwave transmitter amplifiers for cognitive radar," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 15, No. 5, 94-107, Jul.-Aug. 2014. doi:10.1109/MMM.2014.2321253
3. Griffiths, H., L. Cohen, S. Watts, E. Mokole, C. Baker, M. Wicks, and S. Blunt, "Radar spectrum engineering and management: Technical and regulatory issues," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 103, No. 1, 85-102, Jan. 2015. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2014.2365517
4. Paisana, F., N. Marchetti, and L. A. DaSilva, "Radar, TV and cellular bands: Which spectrum access techniques for which bands?," IEEE Commun. Surveys and Tutorials, Vol. 16, No. 3, 1193-1220, Third Quarter, 2014. doi:10.1109/SURV.2014.031914.00078
5. Deng, H. and B. Himed, "Interference mitigation processing for spectrum-sharing between radar and wireless communications systems," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 49, No. 3, 1911-1919, Jul. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAES.2013.6558027
6. Bliss, D. W., "Cooperative radar and communications signaling: The estimation and information theory odd couple," Proc. IEEE Radar Conf., 50-55, Cincinnati, OH, May 2014.
7. Geng, Z., H. Deng, and B. Himed, "Adaptive radar beamforming for interference mitigation in radar-wireless spectrum sharing," IEEE Signal Process. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 4, 484-488, Apr. 2015. doi:10.1109/LSP.2014.2363585
8. Hayvaci, H. T. and B. Tavli, "Spectrum sharing in radar and wireless communication systems: A review," Proc. Int. Conf. Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, 810-813, Palm Beach, Aruba, Aug. 2014.
9. Guerci, J. R., R. M. Guerci, A. Lackpour, and D. Moskowitz, "Joint design and operation of shared spectrum access for radar and communications," Proc. IEEE Int. Radar Conf., 0761-0766, Arlington, VA, May 2015.
10. Khawar, A., A. Abdelhadi, and C. Clancy, "Target detection performance of spectrum sharing MIMO radars," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 15, No. 9, 4928-4940, Sep. 2015. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2015.2424393
11. Wang, L., J. McGeehan, C. Williams, and A. Doufexi, "Application of cooperative sensing in radar-communications coexistence," IET Communications, Vol. 2, No. 6, 856-868, Jul. 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-com:20070403
12. Huang, K. W., M. Bica, U. Mitra, and V. Koivunen, "Radar waveform design in spectrum sharing environment: Coexistence and cognition," Proc. IEEE Radar Conf., 1698-1703, Arlington, VA, May 2015.
13. Surender, S. C., R. M. Narayanan, and C. R. Das, "Performance analysis of communications and radar coexistence in a covert UWB OSA system," Proc. IEEE Global Commun. Conf., 1-5, Miami, FL, Dec. 2010.
14. Sit, Y. L., C. Sturm, L. Reichardt, T. Zwick, and W. Wiesbeck, "The OFDM joint radar-communication system: An overview," Proc. Int. Conf. Advances in Satellite and Space Commun., 69-74, Budapest, Hungary, Apr. 2011.
15. Blunt, S. D., M. R. Cook, and J. Stiles, "Embedding information into radar emissions via waveform implementation," Proc. Int. Waveform Diversity and Design Conf., 8-13, Niagara Falls, Canada, Aug. 2010.
16. Euziere, J., R. Guinvarch, M. Lesturgie, B. Uguen, and R. Gillard, "Dual function radar communication time-modulated array," Proc. Int. Radar Conf., Lille, France, Oct. 2014.
17. Hassanien, A., M. G. Amin, Y. D. Zhang, and F. Ahmad, "Dual function radar-communications using phase-rotational invariance," Proc. European Signal Processing Conf., 1346-1350, Nice, France, Aug.-Sep. 2015.
18. Hassanien, A., M. G. Amin, Y. D. Zhang, and F. Ahmad, "Dual-function radar-communications: Information embedding using sidelobe control and waveform diversity," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 64, No. 8, 2168-2181, Apr. 2016. doi:10.1109/TSP.2015.2505667
19. Hassanien, A., M. G. Amin, Y. D. Zhang, and F. Ahmad, "Efficient sidelobe ASK based Dual-Function radar-communications," SPIE Defense and Security, Radar Sensor Technology Conf., Baltimore, MD, Apr. 2016.
20. Hassanien, A., M. G. Amin, and Y. D. Zhang, "Computationally efficient beampattern synthesis for dual-function radar-communications," SPIE Defense and Security, Radar Sensor Technology Conf., Baltimore, MD, Apr. 2016.
21. Hassanien, A., M. G. Amin, Y. D. Zhang, and F. Ahmad, "Signaling strategies for dual-function radar-communications: An overview," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 31, No. 10, 36-45, Oct. 2016. doi:10.1109/MAES.2016.150225
22. Hassanien, A., M. G. Amin, Y. D. Zhang, and F. Ahmad, "Phase modulation based dual-function radar-communications," IET Radar, Sonar and Navigations, Vol. 10, No. 8, 1411-1421, Oct. 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2015.0484
23. Hassanien, A., B. Himed, and B. D. Rigling, "A dual-function MIMO radar-communications system using frequency-hopping waveforms," Proc. IEEE Radar Conf., 1721-1725, May 8-12, 2017.
24. Hassanien, A., M. G. Amin, Y. Zhang, and B. Himed, "A dual-function MIMO radar-communications system using PSK modulation," Proc. of the European Signal Processing Conf., (EUSIPCO), Budapest, Hungary, Aug. 2016.
25. BouDaher, E., A. Hassanien, E. Aboutanios, and M. G. Amin, "Towards a dual-function MIMO radar-communication system," Proc. IEEE Radar Conf., Philadelphia, PA, May 2016.
26. Wang, W. Q., "MIMO SAR OFDM chirp waveform diversity design with random matrix modulation," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 53, No. 3, 1615-1625, Mar. 2015. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2014.2346478
27. Friedlander, B., "On the relationship between MIMO and SIMO radars," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 57, No. 1, 394-398, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1109/TSP.2008.2007106
28. Welstead, S., "Characterization of diversity approaches for LFM stretchprocessed waveforms," Proceedings of the International Waveform Diversity and Design Conf., 418-422, Pisa, Jun. 2007.
29. Kim, J. H., M. Younis, A. Moreira, and W. Wiesbeck, "A novel OFDM chirp waveform scheme for use of multiple transmitters in SAR," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 10, No. 3, 568-572, May 2013. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2012.2213577
30. Wang, W. Q., "MIMO SAR chirp modulation diversity waveform design," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 11, No. 9, 1644-1648, Sep. 2014. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2014.2303974
31. Skolnik, M. I., Introduction to Radar Systems, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 2001.
32. Song, X., S. Zhou, and P. Willett, "Reducing the waveform cross correlation of MIMO radar with spacetime coding," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 8, 4213-4224, Aug. 2010. doi:10.1109/TSP.2010.2048207
33. Patton, L., C. Bryant, and B. Himed, "Radar-centric design of waveforms with disjoint spectral support," Proc. IEEE Radar Conf., 1106-1110, May 2012.
34. Aubry, A., A. De Maio, M. Piezzo, and A. Farina, "Radar waveform design in a spectrally crowded environment via nonconvex quadratic optimization," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 50, No. 2, 1138-1152, Apr. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAES.2014.120731
35. Patton, L. K. and B. D. Rigling, "Modulus constraints in adaptive radar waveform design," Proc. IEEE Radar Conf., 1-6, Rome, May 2008.
36. Han, K. and A. Nehorai, "Jointly optimal design for MIMO radar frequency-hopping waveforms using game theory," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 52, No. 2, 809-820, Apr. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAES.2015.140408
37. Chen, C. Y. and P. Vaidyanathan, "MIMO radar ambiguity properties and optimizaton using frequency-hopping waveforms," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 56, 5926-5936, Dec. 2008. doi:10.1109/TSP.2008.929658
38. Levanon, N. and E. Mozeson, Radar Signals, Wiley-IEEE Press, New York, NY, USA, 2004. doi:10.1002/0471663085
39. San Antonio, G., D. R. Fuhrmann, and F. C. Robey, "MIMO radar ambiguity functions," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics on Signal Processing, Vol. 1, No. 1, 167-177, Jun. 2007. doi:10.1109/JSTSP.2007.897058
40. Chen, C. Y. and P. Vaidyanathan, "Properties of the MIMO radar ambiguity function," Proc. IEEE International Conf. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 2309-2312, Honolulu, HI, USA, Apr. 2008.