A Frequency Selective Surface (FSS) reflector with wideband response for 4G/X-band/Ku-band is proposed. The wideband FSS reflector consists of cascaded dual-layer patch FSS which is etched on separate layers of FR4 substrate. The targeted frequency range is 5-16 GHz. A wide stopband of 10.4 GHz (100% percent bandwidth) is obtained with two layers in cascade. The Equivalent Circuit (EC) method is used to approximate the simulated results. An extensive parametric study is also carried out to understand the effect of various combinations of FSS layers and their disposition. A panel of final FSS is fabricated where measured and simulated results agree well.
Malay Ranjan Tripathy,
"A Wideband Frequency Selective Surface Reflector for 4G/X-Band/Ku-Band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 81, 151-159, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18010908
2. Munk, B. A., Finite Antenna Arrays and FSS, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2005.
3. Zhu, H., Y. Yu, X. Li, and B. Li, "A wideband and high gain dual-polarzied antenna design by a frequency selective surface for a WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 54, 57-66, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14072801
4. Zhong, T., H. Zhang, X.-L. Min, Q. Chen, and G.-C. Wu, "Wideband frequency selective surface with a sharp band edge based on mushroom-like cavity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 62, 105-110, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL16070304
5. Chatterjee, A. and S. Paraui, "A dual layer frequency selective surface reflector for wideband applications," Radio Engg., Vol. 25, No. 1, 67-72, 2016.
6. Ang, B.-K. and B.-K. Chung, "A wideband E-shaped microstrip patch antenna for 5-6 GHz wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 397-407, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07061909
7. Kesavan, A., R. Karimian, and T. Denidni, "A novel wideband frequency selective surface for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Anten. and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1711-1714, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2528221
8. Izquierdo, B., J. Robertson, and E. A. Parker, "Wideband FSS for electromagnetic architecture in buildings," Journ. of Material Science and Progres., Appl. Phys. A, 771-774, 2011. doi:10.1007/s00339-011-6337-9
9. Pirhadi, A., H. Bahrami, and J. Nasri, "Wideband high directive aperture coupled microstrip antenna design by using a FSS superstrate layer," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 60, No. 4, 2101-2106, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2186230
10. Sivasami, R., B. Moorthy, M. Kanagasabai, V. Samsingh, and M. Alsath, "A wideband frequency tunable fss for electromagnetic shielding applications," IEEE Trans. on Electromag. Comp., Vol. 60, No. 1, 280-284, 2018. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2017.2702572
11. Zhang, L., G. Yang, Q. Wu, and J. Hua, "A novel active frequency selective surface with wideband tuning range for EMC purpose," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 11, 4534-4537, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2012.2202099
12. Pasian, M., S. Monni, A. Neto, M. Ettore, and G. Gerini, "Frequency selective surfaces for extended bandwidth backing reflector functions," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 58, No. 1, 43-50, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2036185
13. Moustafa, L. and B. Jecko, "Design and realization of a wide-band EBG antenna based on FSS and operating in the Ku-band ," International Jour. of Antennas and Propag., Vol. 201, 1-8, 2010.
14. Lins, H., E. Barreto, and A. D'assuncao, "Enhanced wideband performance of coupled frequency selective surfaces using metaheuristics," Micro. and Opt. Techno. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 4, 711-715, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27451
15. Braz, E. and A. Campos, "Dual/wide band multifractal frequency selective surface for applications in S and X band," Micro. and Opt. Techno. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 10, 2217-2222, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.28561
16. Azemi, S. N., K. Ghorbani, and W. S. T. Rowe, "3D frequency selective surfaces with wideband response in antenna technology," Small Antennas, Novel EM Structures and Materials, and Applications (IWAT), 212-215, IEEE.
17. Liu, Y., L. Zhou, and J. Ouyang, "A bandpass circular polarization frequency selective surface with wideband rejection properties," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propag. & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 275-276, 2017. doi:10.1109/APUSNCURSINRSM.2017.8072180