It is generally considered that increasing the carrier frequency of radar is an important way to improve the precision of micro-motion measurement. However, the increase of the center frequency may raise the phase noise intensity of the radar transmitting signals and make the extraction more difficult; therefore, it is particularly necessary to study the influence of phase noises on the extraction of micro-motion characteristics. In this paper, a specific study about the effect of phase noises on the extraction of m-D features is carried out. The effect of phase noises on the extraction performance of the m-D features is evaluated based on the parameter of MSCR. The results of simulation experiments indicate that increasing the carrier frequency will not improve the extraction performance of micro-motion features in the case of using both the classic time-frequency analysis method and the new developed sinusoidal frequency modulation Fourier transform (SFMFT) method. Increasing the frequency of the vibration will not help to improve the extraction performance of the m-D features when using the SFMFT method. However, increasing the vibration frequency can have an improvement effect through the time-frequency method with the increase of Doppler frequency. At last the empirical formula is put forward based on which the exact value of the estimation accuracy can be calculated.
"Analysis of Phase Noise Influence on Micro-Doppler Feature Extraction of Vibrating Target," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 85, 177-190, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18032101
1. Chen, V. C., "Micro-Doppler effect in radar: phenomenon, model and simulation study," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 42, No. 1, 2-21, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAES.2006.1603402
2. Chen, V. C., "Doppler signatures of radar backscattering from objects with micro-motions," IET Signal Processing, Vol. 2, No. 3, 291-300, 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-spr:20070137
3. Gao, H. W., et al., "Micro-Doppler signature extraction from ballistic target with micro-motions," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 46, No. 4, 1969-1982, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAES.2010.5595607
4. Liu, L. H., et al., "Micro-Doppler extraction from ballistic missile radar returns using time-frequency analysis," 2010 7th International Symposium on Wireless Communication System, 780-784, 2010. doi:10.1109/ISWCS.2010.5624266
5. Xia, S. H. and L. Zheng, "Nutation feature extraction of ballistic missile warhead," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 13, 770-772, 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2011.0580
6. Pan, X. Y., et al., "Features extraction of rotationally symmetric ballistic targets based on micro-Doppler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 727-740, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13020110
7. Cai, C. J., et al., "Radar micro-Doppler signature analysis with HHT," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 46, No. 2, 929-938, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAES.2010.5461668
8. Li, K. L. and W. D. Jiang, "Feature extraction of cone with precession based on micro-Doppler," 2009 IET International Radar Conference, 1-5, 2009.
9. Garcia-Rubia, J. M., O. Kilic, V. Dang, Q. M. Nguyen, and N. Tran, "Analysis of moving human micro-Doppler signature in forest environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, 1-14, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14012306
10. Gu, C. Z., "Analysis and experiment on the modulation sensitivity of Doppler radar vibration measurement," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 23, No. 10, 566-568, 2013. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2013.2250269
11. Yan, H. H. and W. S. Wang, "Frequency stability constraints on micro-Doppler feature extraction of radar target," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 29, No. 4, 644-652, 2014.
12. Zhou, W. G. and Q. C. Wang, "Effect of the phase noise on the characteristic of micro-motion," Modern Radar, Vol. 34, No. 8, 81-84, 2012.
13. Peng, B., et al., "A sinusoidal frequency modulation Fourier transform for radar-based vehicle vibration estimation," IEEE Transactions on Instrument and Measurement, Vol. 63, No. 9, 2188-2199, 2014. doi:10.1109/TIM.2014.2308031
14. Peng, B., et al., "Sinusoidal frequency modulation Fourier transform and micro-Doppler spectrum estimation of vibration vehicles," IEEE China Summit & International Conference on Signal & Information Processing, 626-630, 2013. doi:10.1109/ChinaSIP.2013.6625417
15. Staszewski, R. B., C. Fernando, and P. T. Balsara, "Event-driven simulation and modeling of phase noise of an RF oscillator," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 52, No. 4, 723-733, 2005. doi:10.1109/TCSI.2005.844236