This paper presented the effects of Defected Waveguide Structure (DWS) toward wideband monopole antennas. Ultra-wideband (UWB) technology was introduced to support high data rate and maximum bandwidth utilization. Monopole antenna received great attention owing to its appealing features of planar in the structure and is easy to manufacture in miniaturized sizes. Yet, poor gain and directivity are always the drawbacks of the miniaturized antennas. It was found that there was no research work done on the monopole antenna design with DWS. Two wideband monopole antennas with a microstrip feed line and coplanar waveguide (CPW) feed line were proposed. Two waveguides with full copper and square DWS were designed at all the inner walls. Monopole antennas were then integrated in the waveguides. The antenna parameters studied were return loss, efficiency, gain, directivity and radiation pattern to investigate the effects of DWS toward monopole antennas. Both monopole antennas achieved wide bandwidth from 2.5 GHz to 11 GHz and higher efficiency of more than -2 dB. Monopole antennas with waveguide presented a narrower bandwidth from 6 GHz to 11 GHz but a significant directivity improvement of 5 dBi at a lower frequency of 4.5 GHz. Monopole antenna with square DWS demonstrated high directivity and gain in a wide bandwidth of 8.5 GHz. Higher gain was improved around 4 dB at the frequency of 4.5 GHz, and high efficiency of more than -2 dB was achieved. The DWS design served as a guide for future communication system based on the smart technology system.
Shu Jia Chin,
Mohamad Zoinol Abidin Abdul Aziz,
Mohd Riduan Bin Ahmad,
Mohd Azlishah Othman,
"Effects of Defected Waveguide Structure Toward Wideband Monopole Antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 75, 179-191, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18061405
1. Nikolaou, S. and M. A. B. Abbasi, "Design and development of a compact UWB monopole antenna with easily controllable return loss," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 4, 2063-2067, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2670322
2. Dashti Ardakani, M., J. Pourahmadazar, and S. O. Tatu, "A monopole antenna with notch-frequency function for UWB application," XXXIInd General Assembly and Scientific Symposium of the International Union of Radio Science (URSI GASS), 1-4, Montreal, QC, 2017.
3. Singh, K., A. Siwach, and L. Kaur, "Advancement in designing of wideband horn antenna," International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), Vol. 4, No. 4, 719-722, 2013.
4. Mistry, K., et al., "Measurement, simulation and optimization of wideband log-periodic antennas," XXXIInd General Assembly and Scientific Symposium of the International Union of Radio Science (URSI GASS), 1-4, Montreal, QC, 2017.
5. Feng, G., L. Chen, X. Wang, X. Xue, and X. Shi, "Broadband circularly polarized crossed Bowtie dipole antenna loaded with parasitic elements," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 2017.
6. Lai, J. Y., C. W. Hsu, K. W. Li, and C. J. Wang, "A wideband CPW-fed monopole antenna with linear and circular polarizations," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 327-328, San Diego, CA, 2017.
7. Farhan, M., S. G. Dhende, and B. G. Hogade, "Printed monopole antenna array: A technique to improve directive gain," International Conference on Electrical, Electronics, and Optimization Techniques (ICEEOT), 264-268, Chennai, 2016. doi:10.1109/ICEEOT.2016.7755149
8. Patil, S., R. Gupta, and S. Kharche, "Gain improvement of lower UWB monopole antenna using FSS layer," International Conference on Nascent Technologies in Engineering (ICNTE), 1-5, Navi Mumbai, 2017.
9. Meriche, M. A., H. Attia, A. Messai, and T. A. Denidni, "Gain improvement of a wideband monopole antenna with novel artificial magnetic conductor," 17th International Symposium on Technology and Applied Electromagnetics (ANTEM), 1-2, Montreal, QC, 2016.
10. Samad, M. A. and A. K. Hamid, "Miniaturization of waveguide antenna using square/circular arrays of SRR," 5th International Conference on Electronic Devices, Systems and Applications (ICEDSA), 1-4, Ras Al Khaimah, 2016.
11. Wahid, A. and A. Munir, "Design of 9 GHz dual-polarized rectangular waveguide antenna," 2nd International Conference on Wireless and Telematics (ICWT), 44-46, Yogyakarta, 2016.
12. Zou, T., B. Zhang, and Y. Fan, "Design of a 73 GHz waveguide bandpass filter," IEEE 9th UK-Europe-China Workshop on Millimetre Waves and Terahertz Technologies (UCMMT), 219-221, Qingdao, 2016.
13. Fang, D., B. Zhang, and J. He, "A E-band E-plane type waveguide bandpass filter," IEEE 9th UK-Europe-China Workshop on Millimetre Waves and Terahertz Technologies (UCMMT), 180-182, Qingdao, 2016.
14. Uyama, K., S. Nishimura, H. Deguchi, and M. Tsuji, "Transmission characteristics of CRLH rectangular waveguides constructed by the Cutoff Modes of TM and TE waves," International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA), 728-731, Cairns, QLD, 2016.
15. Fu, Y. and N. Yuan, "Reflection and transmission between rectangular waveguide and EBG based TEM waveguide," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings, Vol. 3, 2, 2016.
16. Wartak, M. S., K. L. Tsakmakidis, and O. Hess, "Introduction to metamaterials," Physics in Canada, Vol. 67, No. 1, 30-34, 2011.
17. Dalenjan, M. S., P. Rezaei, M. Akbari, S. Gupta, and A. R. Sebak, "Radiation properties enhancement of a microstrip antenna using a new UC-EBG structure," 17th International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics (ANTEM), 1-2, Montreal, QC, 2016.
18. Lucena, F. A. C. S., C. P. N. Silva, T. L. Pedrosa, and M. T. de Melo, "Gain enhancement of dual-band antenna using square loop FSS," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2169-2170, San Diego, CA, 2017.
19. Chetouah, F., N. Bouzit, I. Messaoudene, S. Aidel, M. Belazzoug, and Y. B. Chaouche, "Miniaturized printed rectangular monopole antenna with a new DGS for WLAN applications," International Symposium on Networks, Computers and Communications (ISNCC), 1-4, Marrakech, 2017.
20. Wang, Y., T. Jiang, and Y. Li, "Development of a microstrip-fed multi-band antenna by means of defected microstrip structures," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), 1986-1988, Shanghai, 2016. doi:10.1109/PIERS.2016.7734850
21. Das, L., A. Sahoo, D. Konhar, and D. Mishra, "A planar monopole antenna with DGS for bandwidth enhancement and U-slot for band-notch characteristics," IEEE Conference on Information & Communication Technologies, 977-980, JeJu Island, 2016.
22. Chin, S. J., M. Z. A. Abd Aziz, and M. R. Ahmad, "Microstrip-fed circular disc monopole antenna with defected waveguide structure," International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering (IJECE), Vol. 8, No. 1, 189-197, 2018. doi:10.11591/ijece.v8i1.pp189-197
23. Liang, J., L. Guo, C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of CPW-fed circular disc monopole antenna for ultrawideband applications," IEE Proceedings - Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 152, No. 6, 520-526, 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20045179
24. Chin, S. J., M. Z. A. Abd Aziz, and M. R. Ahmad, "Comparative analysis of different defected waveguide structures towards monopole antenna," Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium-Fall (PIERS-FALL), 1428-1436, 2017. doi:10.1109/PIERS-FALL.2017.8293355
25. Kwaha, B. J., O. N. Inyang, and P. Amalu, "The circular microstrip patch antenna-design and implementation," International Journal of Recent Research and Applied Studies (IJRRAS), Vol. 8, No. 1, 86-95, 2011.
26. Whyte, G. W. M., "Antennas for Wireless Sensor Network Applications,", Ph.D. diss., University of Glasgow, Scotland, 2008.