Ferrite toroids (or clamps) are widely used to reduce common-mode (CM) currents in power systems. The CM impedance of the ferrite depends on the frequency-dispersive permeability and permittivity of the ferrite, the geometry of the system, and the location of the ferrite in it. An analytical model was developed to predict the CM impedance of a wire harness above a return plane with a ferrite on it. The model is based on transmission line theory for a cable, a ferrite, and a return plane. The parameters of the model are calculated using a frequency-dependent quasistatic model for a ferrite toroid. This model accurately predicts the CM impedance of a mock harness within 3 dB up to 1 GHz. The proposed model is also applied to a real power system consisting of an inverter and a motor. Knowledge of the CM impedance of the system in the operating regime is critical to determining the impact of the ferrite on CM currents. The CM impedance is determined using the dual current clamp technique. The impact of the ferrite on the CM impedance and currents of the power inverter system was predicted within 3 dB, demonstrating the usefulness of the modelling approach for analysis of power systems.
1. Izydorczyk, J., "Simulation of ferrites by SPICE," Proceedings of European Conference on Circuit, Theory and Design, I/43-I/46, ECCTD05, Cork Ireland, Aug. 29-Sep. 2, 2005.
2. Mohri, K., T. Kohzawa, K. Kawashima, H. Yoshida, and L. V. Panina, "Magneto-inductive effect (MI effect) in amorphous wires," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 28, No. 5, 3150-3152, Sep. 1992. doi:10.1109/20.179741
3. Muyshondt, G. P. and W. M. Portnoy, "Development of high frequency spice models for ferrite core inductors and transformers," Industry Applications Conference, 1328-1333, San Diego, CA, Oct. 1-5, 1989.
4. Yu, Q., T. W. Holmes, and K. Naishadham, "RF equivalent circuit modeling of ferrite-core inductors and characterization of core materials," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 44, No. 1, 258-262, Feb. 2002. doi:10.1109/15.990733
5. Kazimierczuk, M., G. Sancineto, G. Grandi, U. Reggiani, and A. Massarini, "High-frequency small-signal model of ferrite core inductors," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 35, No. 5, 4185-4191, Sep. 1999. doi:10.1109/20.799066
6. Fujiwara, O. and T. Ichikawa, "An analysis of load effects produced by ferrite core attachment," Electronics and Communications in Japan, Part 1, Vol. 80, No. 9, 19-24, 1997.
7. Samir, A. Z. and O. Fujiwara, "Measurement and verification of complex permeability of ferrite material by S-parameter techniques," IEEE Trans. Japan, Vol. 119-C, 9-14, 1999.
8. Ichikawa, T., H. Kawada, and O. Fujiwara, "An analysis of normal-mode noise caused by braided shield current flowing on coaxial cable attached by a ferrite core," Trans. IEICE, Vol. J81-B-II, 327-335, 1998.
9. Maekawa, T. and O. Fujiwara, "Calculation of electric far field radiated from transmission line attached to a ferrite core above a ground plane," Electronics and Communications in Japan, Part 1, Vol. 86, No. 5, 2003, Translated from Denshi Joho Tsushin Gakkai Ronbunshi, Vol. J84-B, No. 12, 2374-2381, Dec. 2001.
10. Yazdani, M. R., H. Farzanehfard, and J. Faiz, "Classification and comparison of emi mitigation techniques in switching power converters --- A review," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 5, 765-777, Sep. 2011. doi:10.6113/JPE.2011.11.5.767
11. Naishadham, K., "Closed-form design formulas for the equivalent circuit characterization of ferrite inductors," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 53, No. 4, 923-932, Nov. 2011. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2011.2116795
12. Naishadham, K., "Extrinsic equivalent circuit modeling of SMD inductors for printed circuit applications," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Special Issue on Printed Circuit Board EMC, Vol. 43, No. 4, 557-565, Nov. 2001. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2011.2116795
13. Naishadham, K. and T. Durak, "Measurement-based closed-form modeling of surface-mounted RF components," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 50, No. 10, 2276-2286, Oct. 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.803431
14. Orlando, A., M. Y. Koledintseva, D. G. Beetner, P. Shao, and P. H. Berger, "Lumped-element circuit model of ferrite chokes," IEEE Symp. Electromag. Compat., 754-759, Fort Lauderdale, FL, Jul. 25-30, 2010.
15. Liu, G., Y. Ding, C. Chen, R. Kautz, J. L. Drewniak, D. J. Pommerenke, and M. Y. Koledintseva, "A dual-current-probe method for characterizing CM loop impedance," IEEE Instrum. Measur. Techn. Conf. (IMTC), 1239-1244, Vail, CO, USA, May 2003.
16. Bondarenko, N., P. Shao, M. Koledintseva, D. Beetner, and P. Berger, "Prediction of common-mode current reduction using ferrites in systems with cable harnesses," Proceeding of IEEE EMC Symposium 2012, 80-84, Pittsburgh, Aug. 2012.
17. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Section 2.1, 62, Wiley, 1998.
18. Xu, J., M. Y. Koledintseva, Y. Zhang, Y. He, B. Matlin, R. E. DuBroff, J. L. Drewniak, and J. Zhang, "Complex permittivity and permeability measurements and finite-difference time-domain simulation of ferrite materials," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 52, No. 4, 878-887, Nov. 2010. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2010.2050693
20., Standard P1597, Standard for Validation of Computational Elecromagnetics Computer Modeling and Simulation --- Part 1, 2008.
21. Duffy, A. P., J. M. Martin, A. Orlandi, G. Antonini, T. M. Benson, and M. S.Woolfson, "Feature Selective Validation (FSV) for validation of computational electromagnetic (CEM). Part I --- The FSV method," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 48, No. 3, 449-459, Aug. 2006. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2006.879358