A practical coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with reconfigurable dual band-notched characteristics is proposed in this paper. A cup-shaped branch is added to the grounding plate and a step impedance resonator (SIR) added to the microstrip line, which realize notch characteristics in 5.1~5.9 GHz and 7~7.8 GHz bands and realize double notch function with good radiation direction characteristics. The antenna bandwidth is extended by using CPW feeding, ranging from 3 GHz to 16 GHz with the relative bandwidth of 137%. The notch band reconfigurability is realized by integrating three switches into the cup-shaped branch and SIR. In addition, the proposed antenna has a compact size of 24 mm × 32 mm × 1.5 mm and can provide omnidirectional radiation pattern, which is suitable for UWB communication applications.
"A Practical CPW-Fed UWB Antenna with Reconfigurable Dual Band-Notched Characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 81, 117-126, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19040504
1. Federal Communications Commission, "First report and order in the matter of revision of Part 15 of the the Commission's rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission systems,", FCC 02-48, Federal Communications Commission, Washington, DC, USA, 2002. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2481437
2. Koziel, S. and A. Bekasiewicz, "Fast simulation-driven design optimization of UWB band-notch antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 926-929, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2332355
3. Tu, Z. H., W. A. Li, and Q. X. Chu, "Single-layer differential CPW-fed notch-band tapered-slot UWB antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1296-1299, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2264713
4. Ojaroudi, N., et al., "Novel design of dual band-notched monopole antenna with bandwidth enhancement for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 698-701, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2790176
5. Siddiqui, J. Y., et al., "Ultra-wideband antipodal tapered slot antenna with integrated frequency notch characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 3, 1534-1539, 2018. doi:10.1109/MAP.2018.2796027
6. Shaik, L. A., et al., "An antenna advance for cognitive radio: Introducing a multilayered split ring resonator-loaded printed ultrawideband antenna with multifunctional characteristics," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, Vol. 1, 20-33, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2015.0780
7. Khattak, M. K. and S. Kahng, "Design of a UHF wide-band antenna with a compact notch filter," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 15, 1625-1632, 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0063
8. Shaik, L., et al., "Ultra-wideband monopole antenna for multiband and wideband frequency notch and narrowband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 11, 1204-1211, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2012.0972
9. Li, T., et al., "Design of compact UWB band-notched antenna by means of electromagnetic-bandgap structures," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, 608-609, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC17090702
10. Jaglan, N., S. D. Gupta, B. K. Kanaujia, S. Srivastava, and E. Thakur, "Triple band notched DG-CEBG structure based UWB MIMO/diversity antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 80, 21-37, 2018.
11. Wu, A.-T. and B.-R. Guan, "Design and research of a compact CPW-fed UWB antenna with triple band-notched characteristic," Journal of Microwaves, Vol. 32, 15-19, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2327124
12. Siddiqui, J. Y., C. Saha, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Compact SRR loaded UWB circular monopole antenna with frequency notch characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, 4015-4020, 2014.
13. Fei, P. and Y.-C. Jiao, "Dual band-notched UWB antenna based on embedded SRR and 7-shaped resonator," 2010 IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband, Nanjing, China, 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2114090
14. Peng, L. and C. L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-bandgap structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 59, 1074-1081, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0442
15. Alam, M. S. and A. Abbosh, "Reconfigurable band-rejection antenna for ultra-wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, 195-202, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIER13122701
16. Ben Trad, I., J.-M. Floch, H. Rmili, L. Laadhar, and M. Drissi, "Planar elliptic broadband antenna with wide range reconfigurable narrow notched bands for multi-standard wireless communication devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 69-80, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2167947
17. Lin, C. C., P. Jin, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Single, dual and tri-band-notched ultrawideband (UWB) antennas using capacitively loaded loop (CLL) resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 102-109, 2012.