The paper presents a new coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed ultra-wideband (UWB) dual circularly polarized (CP) slot antenna. For realizing UWB, a wide slot is introduced in the ground plane of the proposed antenna. The circular polarizationis achieved by introducing a semi-circular stub in the square ground plane. The antenna contains two symmetrical CPW-fed ports at left and right edges to generate dual circular polarization. The evolution steps of the proposed CP antenna are presented, and antenna parameters are optimized to obtainthe desired level of isolation, return loss, and axial ratio bandwidth (ARBW). The measured impedance bandwidth (S11 ≤ -10 dB) of the antenna is 13.5 GHz (2.5-16 GHz); 3-dB ARBW is 75.23% (2.67-5.89 GHz); and isolation greater than 17 dB is obtained in the CP band. The designed dual feed CP antenna has low profile, light weight, compact size, and could be suitable for polarization diversity applications for reducing the effect of multipath fading.
1. Kumar, S., B. K. Kanaujia, A. Sharma, M. K. Khandelwal, and A. K. Gautam, "Single feed cross slot loaded compact circularly polarized microstrip antenna for indoor WLAN applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1313-1317, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28318
2. Xu, R., J. Li, J. Liu, S. G. Zhou, and K. Wei, "UWB circularly polarised slot antenna with modified ground plane and L-shaped radiator," Electron. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 15, 918-920, 2018. doi:10.1049/el.2018.1346
3. Srivastava, K., A. Kumar, B. K. Kanaujia, S. Dwari, and S. Kumar, "Low profile coupling feed circularly polarized antennas for WLAN applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 29, No. 2, e21525, 2019. doi:10.1002/mmce.21525
4. Khandelwal, M. K., S. Kumar, and B. K. Kanaujia, "Design, modeling and analysis of dual-feed defected ground microstrip patch antenna with wide axial ratio bandwidth," J. Comput. Electron., Vol. 17, No. 3, 1019-1028, 2018. doi:10.1007/s10825-018-1173-1
5. Singh, N., B. K. Kanaujia, M. T. Beg, Mainuddin, T. Khan, and S. Kumar, "A dual polarized multiband rectenna for RF energy harvesting," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 93, 123-131, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.06.020
6. Srivastava, K., A. Kumar, B. K. Kanaujia, S. Dwari, and S. Kumar, "Low profile single feed monopole antenna for quad-band circularly polarised applications," Int. J. Electron., Vol. 106, No. 2, 318-331, 2019. doi:10.1080/00207217.2018.1525771
7. Saxena, S., B. K. Kanaujia, S. Dwari, S. Kumar, and R. Tiwari, "A compact dual-polarized MIMO antenna with distinct diversity performance for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 3096-3099, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2762426
8. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A reconfigurable patch antenna using switchable slots for circular polarization diversity," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 3, 96-98, 2002. doi:10.1109/7260.989863
9. Zhao, G., L. N. Chen, and Y. C. Jiao, "Design of a broadband dual circularly polarized square slot antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 10, 2639-2642, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23741
10. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, and I. J. Bahl, Microstrip Lines and Slot Lines, 2nd Ed., Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1996.
11. Sze, J. Y., K. L. Wong, and C. C. Huang, "Coplanar waveguide-fed square slot antenna for broadband circularly polarized radiation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 8, 2141-2144, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.815421
12. Saini, R. K. and S. Dwari, "A broadband dual circularly polarized square slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 290-294, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2496118
13. Saini, R. K. and S. Dwari, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized square slot antenna with changeable polarization," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 4, 902-907, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30431
14. Chen, C. and E. K. N. Yung, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly-polarized CPW-fed slot antenna with two spiral slots loaded," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 6, 1829-1833, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2019990
15. Saini, R. K. and P. S. Bakariya, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized asymmetric slot antenna with F-shaped feed line and parasitic elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 69, 185-195, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18040203
16. Saini, R. K., S. Dwari, and M. K. Mandal, "CPW-fed dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2497-2500, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2726545
17. Chen, Y. Y., Y. C. Jiao, G. Zhao, F. Zhang, Z. L. Liao, and Y. Tian, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized slot antenna with a C-shaped grounded strip," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 915-918, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2166750
18. Saini, R. K., P. S. Bakariya, and P. Kumar, "Coplanar waveguide fed dual-band dual-sense circular polarized square slot antenna," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 28, No. 9, e21503, 2018. doi:10.1002/mmce.21503
19. Rui, X., J. Li, and K. Wei, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly polarised square slot antenna with simple structure," Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, 578-580, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2015.4499
20. Xu, R., J. Y. Li, J. Liu, S. G. Zhou, and K. Wei, "Design of spiral slot-based dual-wideband dual-sense CP antenna," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, 76-81, 2018.