In this paper, a control strategy based on second-order sliding mode is proposed for a permanent magnet synchronous motor (PMSM) drive system applying direct torque control with space vector modulation (DTC-SVM). This control strategy combines the principles of super-twisting algorithms, direct torque control, and space vector modulation, designed to overcome some obvious shortcomings, such as the large ripple of flux linkage and torque in traditional DTC, the poor robustness of traditional PI controllers, and the chattering of traditional sliding mode control. It gives the system good steady state and dynamic performance. The results show that the proposed method effectively solves the above shortcomings. Meanwhile, the control strategy effectively accelerates the dynamic response ability of the system and improves the robustness to parameter perturbation.
"Research on Control of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Based on Second-Order Sliding Mode," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 85, 11-20, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19070201
1. Shankar, V. K. A., S. Umashankar, and S. Paramasivam, "Investigations on performance evaluation of VFD fed PMSM using DTC control strategies for pumping applications," Conference on Innovations in Power and Advanced Computing Technologies, Apr. 2017.
2. Niu, F., B. S. Wang, A. S. Babel, K. Li, and E. G. Strangas, "Comparative evaluation of direct torque control strategies for permanent magnet synchronous machines," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 31, No. 2, 1408-1424, Feb. 2016. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2015.2421321
3. Zhu, H. Q. and Y. Xu, "Development of bearingless permanent magnet synchronous motor system and key technologies," Proceedings of the CSEE, Nov. 28, 2018.
4. Bida, V. M., D. V. Samokhvalov, and F. S. Al-Mahturi, "PMSM vector control techniques - A survey," IEEE Conference of Russian Young Researchers in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Jan. 2018.
5. Yuan, T. Q. and D. Z. Wang, "Performance improvement for PMSM DTC system through composite active vectors modulation," Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 10, Oct. 2018.
6. Zhang, Y., J. Zhu, W. Xu, et al. "A simple method to reduce torque ripple in direct torque-controlled permanent-magnet synchronous motor by using vectors with variable amplitude and angle," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2848-2859, 2011. doi:10.1109/TIE.2010.2076413
7. Niu, F. and K. Li, "Direct torque control for permanent magnet synchronous machines based on duty ratio modulation," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 62, No. 10, 6160-6170, 2015. doi:10.1109/TIE.2015.2426678
8. Zhang, Z., C. Wei, W. Qiao, et al. "Adaptive saturation controller-based direct torque control for permanent magnet synchronous machines," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 31, No. 10, 7112-7122, 2016.
9. Xiao, M., T. Shi, Z. Wang, et al. "Direct torque control for permanent magnet synchronous motor with multilevel hysteresis controller," Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 37, No. 14, 4201-4211, 2017.
10. Atallah, A. M. and E. I. Tantawy, "Direct torque control of machine side multilevel converter for variable speed wind turbines," Energy, Vol. 90, 1091-1099, Oct. 2015.
11. Islam, M. D., C. M. F. S. Reza, and S. Mekhilef, "Modeling and experimental validation of 5-level hybrid H-bridge multilevel inverter fed DTC-IM drive," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 10, No. 2, 574-585, Mar. 2015. doi:10.5370/JEET.2015.10.2.574
12. Lakshmi, G. S. and K. Navya, "Multilevel diode-clamped inverter fed IPMSM drive for electric traction," International Conference on Innovations in Electrical, Electronics, Instrumentation and Media Technology, Feb. 2017.
13. Qiu, X., W. Huang, J. Yang, and F. Bu, "A direct torque control strategy based on torque angle for permanent magnet synchronous motors," Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 28, No. 10, 56-62, Mar. 2013.
14. Cristian, L., B. Ion, and B. Frede, "Comparative analysis of direct torque control and DTC based on sliding mode control for PMSM drive," 29th Chinese Control and Decision Conference, May 2017.
15. Fan, Y., X. F. Zhou, X. Y. Zhang, L. Zhang, and M. Cheng, "Sliding mode control of IPMSM system based on a new reaching law and a hybrid speed controller," Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 32, No. 5, 9-18, 2017.
16. Zhang, X. G., K. Zhao, L. Sun, et al. "Sliding mode control of permanent magnet synchronous motor based on a novel exponential reaching law," Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 31, No. 15, May 2011.
17. Shi, S., S. Y. Xu, B. Y. Zhang, Q. Ma, and Z. Q. Zhang, "Global second-order sliding mode control for nonlinear uncertain systems," International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, Vol. 29, No. 1, 224-237, Jan. 2019. doi:10.1002/rnc.4385
18. Orlov, Y., A. Pisano, S. Scodina, and E. Usai, "On the Lyapunov-based second-order SMC design for some classes of distributed parameter systems," IMA Journal of Mathematical Control and Information, Vol. 29, No. 4, 437-457, Dec. 2012. doi:10.1093/imamci/dns003
19. Castillo, I., L. Fridman, and J. A. Moreno, "Super-Twisting Algorithm in presence of time and state dependent perturbations," International Journal of Control, Vol. 91, No. 11, 2535-2548, Nov. 2018. doi:10.1080/00207179.2016.1269952
20. Gonzalez, J. A., A. Barreiro, S. Dormido, and A. Banos, "Nonlinear adaptive sliding mode control with fast non-overshooting responses and chattering avoidance," Journal of the Franklin Institute - Engineering and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 354, No. 7, 2788-2815, May 2017. doi:10.1016/j.jfranklin.2017.01.025
21. Zeng, X. F., J. Y. Wang, X. H. Wang, and T. J. Wang, "Design of sliding mode controller based on SMDO and its application to missile control," Acta Aeronautica ET Astronautica Sinica, Vol. 32, No. 5, May 2011.