In this paper, a novel dielectric resonator antenna has been numerically simulated and experimentally demonstrated. The proposed design, comprising an Indium Tin Oxide (ITO) coated glass slide placed on a microstrip transmission line, is intended for WLAN and Wi-Max applications. The antenna shows a maximum bandwidth of 2.15-7.65 GHz and 10.36-11.78 GHz and a gain ranging from 2.21 to 6.44 dB. The novelty of the design lies in the use of ITO coating on glass to enhance as well as regulate the antenna bandwidth. Parametric variations have been investigated to analyse the topology for understanding the effect of the design parameters on gain, bandwidth, and reflection coefficient. A prototype has also been fabricated, where different ITO sheets have been mounted to measure the response. The proposed geometry has been found to be better and competent enough with respect to antenna parameters than existing Ultrawide Band antennas.
Ku Chia Hao,
"Indium Tin Oxide Based Wideband Dielectric Resonator Antenna for Wireless Communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 99, 77-86, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC19071603
1. Holt, K., "Wireless LAN: Past, present, and future," Proc. DATE, 2005.
2. Nuaymi, L., "WiMAX: Technology for broadband wireless access,", [Online], Available: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/9780470319055, May 2007.
4. Cicchetti, R., E. Miozzi, and O. Testa, "Wideband and UWB antennas for wireless applications: A comprehensive review," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-45, [Online], Available: https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/2390808, February 2017.
5. Liu, Y., L.-M. Si, M. Wei, P. Yan, P. Yang, H. Lu, C. Zheng, Y. Yuan, J. Mou, X. Lv, and H. Sun, "Some recent developments of microstrip antenna," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-10, [Online], Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2012/428284, January 2012.
6. Soren, D., R. Ghatak, R. K. Mishra, and D. R. Poddar, "Dielectric resonator antennas: Designs and advances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 60, 195-213, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERB14031306
7. Lim, E. H. and K. W. Leung, "Use of the dielectric resonator antenna as a filter element," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 1, 5-10, 2008, [Online], Available: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/3019516 Use of the Dielectric Resonator Antenna as_a Filter Element. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.913152
8. Leung, K. W., K. M. Luk, K. Y. A. Lai, and D. Lin, "Theory and experiment of a coaxial probe fed hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 10, 1390-1398, October 1993, [Online], Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/6075680. doi:10.1109/8.247779
9. Petosa, A., A. Ittipiboon, and M. Cuhaci, "Dielectric resonator antenna technology for wireless applications," 1998 IEEE-APS CAPWC, 117-120, 1998.
10. Parimi, V. M., A. Datta, S. Biring, C. H. Ku, and S. Sen, "Simple dielectric resonator antennas using ITO, Al and Ag coated glass on a transmission line," AIP Conference Proceedings 2100, 020097, April 2019, Available: https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5098651.
11. Mandal, K. and P. P. Sarkar, "High gain wide-band U-shaped patch antennas with modified ground planes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 4, 2279-2282, April 2013, [Online], Available: http://www.academia.edu/30138505/High Gain Wide-Band U-Shaped_Patch Antennas With Modified Ground Planes. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2233455
12. Verma, S. and P. Kumar, "Printed Newton’s egg curved monopole antenna for ultrawideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 4, 278-286, November 2013, [Online], Available: https://digital-library.theiet.org/content/journals/10.1049/iet-map.2013.0144. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0144
13. Islam, M. T., R. Azim, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Triple band-notched planar UWB antenna using parasitic strips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 161-179, June 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12032604
14. Rani, M. S. A., S. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Kamarudin, T. Peter, S. W. Cheung, and B. M. Saad, "Electromagnetic behaviors of thin film CPW-fed CSRR loaded on UWB transparent antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 13, 1239-1242, July 2014, [Online] Available: https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2014.2332514.
15. Alibakhshi-Kenari, M., M. Naser-Moghadasi, R. A. Sadeghzadeh, and B. S. Virdee, "Metamaterial-based antennas for integration in UWB transceivers and portable microwave handsets," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 26, No. 1, 88-96, September 2015, [Online], Available: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/mmce.20942. doi:10.1002/mmce.20942
16. Islam, M. M., M. T. Islam, M. Samsuzzaman, and M. R. I. Faruque, "Compact metamaterial antenna for UWB applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 16, 1222-1224, August 2015, [Online], Available: https://ukm.pure.elsevier.com/en/publications/compact-metamaterial-antenna-for-uwb-applications. doi:10.1049/el.2015.2131
17. Ge, Y., K. P. Esselle, and T. S. Bird, "Compact dielectric resonator antennas with ultrawide 60%–110% bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 9, 3445-3448, July 2011, [Online], Available: https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2011.2161538. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2161538
18. Cicchett, R., A. Faraon, E. Miozzi, R. Ravanelli, and O. Testa, "A high-gain mushroom-shaped dielectric resonator antenna for wideband wireless applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 7, 2848-2861, April 2016, [Online], Available: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7463018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2560920