A surface wave antenna operating in the 2.4 GHz band and efficient for launching surface electromagnetic waves at metal/dielectric interfaces is presented. Theantennaoperation is based on the strong field enhancement at the antenna tip, which results in efficient excitation of surface waves propagating along nearby metal surfaces. Since surface electromagnetic waves may efficiently tunnel through deep subwavelength channels from inner to outer metal/dielectric interface of a metal enclosure,this antenna is useful for broadband radio communication through various conductive enclosures, such as typical commercial Faraday cages.
Igor I. Smolyaninov,
"Surface Wave-Based Radio Communication through
Conductive Enclosures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 85, 21-28, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19071808
1. Cheng, D. K., Fundamentals of Engineering Electromagnetics, Chapter 8, London, Pearson, 1992.
3. Zayats, A. V., I. I. Smolyaninov, and A. Maradudin, "Nano-optics of surface plasmon-polaritons," Physics Reports, Vol. 408, 131-314, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.physrep.2004.11.001
4. Ebbesen, T. W., H. J. Lezec, H. F. Ghaemi, T. Thio, and P. A. Wolff, "Extraordinary optical transmission through sub-wavelength hole arrays," Nature, Vol. 391, 667-669, 1998. doi:10.1038/35570
5. Elliott, J., I. I. Smolyaninov, N. I. Zheludev, and A. V. Zayats, "Polarization control of optical transmission of a periodic array of elliptical holes in a metal film," Optics Letters, Vol. 29, 1414-1416, 2004. doi:10.1364/OL.29.001414
6. Smolyaninov, I. I., A. V. Zayats, A. Stanishevsky, and C. C. Davis, "Optical control of photon tunneling through an array of nanometer scale cylindrical channels," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 66, 205414, 2002. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.66.205414
7. Lezec, H. J., A. Degiron, E. Devaux, R. A. Linke, L. Martin-Moreno, F. J. Garcia-Vidal, and T. W. Ebbesen, "Beaming light from a subwavelength aperture," Science, Vol. 297, 820-822, 2002. doi:10.1126/science.1071895
8. Smolyaninov, I. I., Q. Balzano, C. C. Davis, and D. Young, "Surface wave-based underwater radio communication," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, 2503-2507, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2880008
10. Balzano, Q., et al. "Field and temperature gradients from short conductors in a dissipative medium," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2007, Article ID 57670, 2007.
11. Balzano, Q., et al. "The near field of helical antennas," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 31, No. 4, 173-185, 1982. doi:10.1109/T-VT.1982.23933
12. Smolyaninov, I. I., D. L. Mazzoni, and C. C. Davis, "Imaging of surface plasmon scattering by lithographically created individual surface defects," Phys. Rev. Letters, Vol. 77, 3877-3880, 1996. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.77.3877
13. Sanne, A., R. Ghosh, A. Rai, M. N. Yogeesh, S. H. Shin, A. Sharma, K. Jarvis, L. Mathew, R. Rao, D. Akinwande, and S. Banerjee, "Radio frequency transistors and circuits based on CVD MoS2," Nano Lett., Vol. 15, 5039, 2015. doi:10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b01080
14. Wang, H., X. Wang, F. Xia, L. Wang, H. Jiang, Q. Xia, M. L. Chin, M. Dubey, and S. Han, "Black phosphorus radio-frequency transistors," Nano Lett., Vol. 14, 6424, 2014. doi:10.1021/nl5029717
15. Politano, A., G. Chiarello, R. Samnakay, G. Liu, B. Gürbulak, S. Duman, A. A. Balandin, and D. W. Boukhvalov, "The influence of chemical reactivity of surface defects on ambient-stable InSe-based nanodevices," Nanoscale, Vol. 8, 8474, 2016. doi:10.1039/C6NR01262K
16. Politano, A., L. Viti, and M. S. Vitiello, "Optoelectronic devices, plasmonics and photonics with topological insulators," APL Materials, Vol. 5, 035504, 2017. doi:10.1063/1.4977782
17. Politano, A., M. S. Vitiello, L. Viti, D. W. Boukhvalov, and G. Chiarello, "The role of surface chemical reactivity in the stability of electronic nanodevices based on two-dimensional materials `beyond graphene' and topological insulators," Flat Chem., Vol. 1, 60, 2017.
18. Viti, L., A. Politano, and M. S. Vitiello, "Black phosphorus nanodevices at terahertz frequencies: Photodetectors and future challenges," APL Materials, Vol. 5, 035602, 2017. doi:10.1063/1.4979090
19. Giordano, M. C., S. Mastel, C. Liewald, L. L. Columbo, M. Brambilla, L. Viti, A. Politano, K. Zhang, L. Li, A. G. Davies, E. H. Linfield, R. Hillenbrand, F. Keilmann, G. Scamarcio, and M. S. Vitiello, "Phase-resolved terahertz self-detection near-field microscopy," Opt. Express, Vol. 26, 18423, 2018. doi:10.1364/OE.26.018423
20. Mitrofanov, O., L. Viti, E. Dardanis, M. C. Giordano, D. Ercolani, A. Politano, L. Sorba, and M. S. Vitiello, "Near-field terahertz probes with room-temperature nanodetectors for subwavelength resolution imaging," Sci. Rep., Vol. 7, 44240, 2017. doi:10.1038/srep44240