The hybrid magnetic bearings (HMB) stabilize suspension in equilibrium position by providing bias flux through permanent magnets. The loss generated during operation causes the temperature of the HMB to rise, which affects the stability of the magnetic bearing. In this paper, the loss and temperature of HMB are analyzed by finite element analysis software. The results show that the loss of HMB is mainly distributed in the rotor part, and the temperature of the rotor part is obviously higher than that of the stator part. The relationship between the structural parameters such as air gap length and pole width, and the loss of HMB is obtained by finite element analysis. According to the analysis results, the structural parameters are optimized by GAPSO. After optimization, the loss and temperature of HMB are significantly reduced.
"Temperature Field Analysis and Optimization of the Homopolar Magnetic Bearing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 85, 105-114, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19072801
1. Eryong, H. and L. Kun, "A novel structure for low loss radial hybrid magnetic bearing," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 12, 4725-4733, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2160649
2. Santra, T., D. Roy, and A. B. Choudhury, "Calculation of passive magnetic force in a radial magnetic bearing using general division approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 54, 91-102, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM16120602
3. Yuan, Y., Y. K. Sun, Q. W. Xiang, et al. "Model-free adaptive control for three-degree-of-freedom hybrid magnetic bearings," Frontiers of Information Technology & Electronic Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 12, 2035-2045, 2017. doi:10.1631/FITEE.1700324
4. Sun, J., Y. Ren, and J. Fang, "Passive axial magnetic bearing with Halbach magnetized array in magnetically suspended control moment gyro application," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 323, No. 15, 2103-2107, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.jmmm.2011.02.020
5. Han, B., S. Zheng, X. Wang, and Y. Qian, "Integral design and analysis of passive magnetic bearing and active radial magnetic bearing for agile satellite application," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 6, 1959-1966, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2180731
6. Nguyen, T. D. and G. Foo, "Sensorless control of a dual-airgap axial flux permanent magnet machine for flywheel energy storage system," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 7, No. 2, 140-149, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-epa.2012.0048
8. Meeker, D. C., A. V. Filatov, and E. H. Maslen, "Effect of magnetic hysteresis on rotational losses in heteropolar magnetic bearings," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 40, No. 3, 3302-3307, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2004.831664
9. Bakay, L., M. Dubois, P. Viarouge, et al. "Losses in hybrid and active magnetic bearings applied to Long Term Flywheel Energy Storage," IET International Conference on Power Electronics, IET, 2010.
10. Chong, L., R. Dutta, M. F. Rahman, et al. "Experimental verification of core and magnet losses in a concentrated wound IPM machine with V-shaped magnets used in field weakening applications," Electric Machines & Drives Conference, IEEE, 2011.
11. Romanenko, A., A. Smirnov, R. P. Jastrzebski, et al. "Losses estimation and modelling in active magnetic bearings," European Conference on Power Electronics & Applications, 2014.
12. Xin, L. and C. Wu, "Analysis and calculation of temperature field of radial magnetic bearing," Machinery, Vol. 49, No. 4, 18-21, 2011.
13. Ren, X., Y. Le, B. Han, and K. Wang, "Loss and thermal estimation method of a magnetic bearing system considering electromagnetic and temperature coupling," International Conference on Electrical Machines & Systems, IEEE, 2017.
14. Shelke, S. and R. V. Chalam, "Optimum energy loss in electromagnetic bearing," Proceedings of the IEEE, 3, 2011.
15. Zaki, M., O. Mahgoub, A. Adly, et al. "Three-dimensional finite element modeling of active magnetic bearings considering eddy current losses in laminated rotor," IEEE Magnetics Conference, 2015.
16. Bakay, L., M. Dubois, P. Viarouge, et al. "Losses in an optimized 8-pole radial AMB for Long Term Flywheel Energy Storage," International Conference on Electrical Machines & Systems, IEEE, 2010.
17. Romanenko, A., A. Smirnov, R. P. Jastrzebski, and O. Pyrhonen, "Losses estimation and modelling in active magnetic bearings," 2014 16th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, IEEE, 2014.
18. Abukhshim, N. A., P. T. Mativenga, and M. A. Sheikh, "Heat generation and temperature prediction in metal cutting: A review and implications for high speed machining," International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 46, No. 7-8, 782-800, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2005.07.024
19. Jiang, W. Y. and T. M. Jahns, "Coupled electromagnetic-thermal analysis of electric machines including transient operation based on finite-element techniques," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 51, No. 2, 1880-1889, 2015. doi:10.1109/TIA.2014.2345955