A circular polarization multiplexing metasurface beam splitter operating at 15 GHz with polarization conversion effect is proposed. The unit cell is formed by alternately stacking 4 layers of metal and 2 layers of dielectric substrates cascaded along the propagation direction, separated by air. The resonant phase of the unit cell can be changed by changing the size parameters of the two arms of the metal cross patch, and the phase coverage of nearly 360° can be achieved in the direction of the two orthogonal linear polarization components, while transmission coefficient is above 85%. The circular polarization geometric phase covering 360° can be achieved by rotating the metal patch. The polarization conversion of the circularly polarized wave can be realized by setting the phase difference of the two orthogonal linear polarization components to 180°, and the polarization conversion ratio (PCR) at the working frequency is greater than 90%. The simulation and test results show that when the circularly polarized electromagnetic wave is perpendicularly incident on the metasurface beam splitter, the transmitted wave is divided into two circularly polarized waves with different exit angles and orthogonal to the polarization direction of the incident wave. This work may provide new ideas for the integration and miniaturization of traditional beam splitting devices and have important application prospects in fields such as multiple input multiple output (MIMO) systems.
1. Zhang, L., J. Guo, and T. Ding, "Ultrathin dual-mode vortex beam generator based on anisotropic coding metasurface," Scientific Reports, Vol. 11, No. 1, Art. No. 5766, Mar. 11, 2021.
2. Zhang, Z., Y. Zhang, T. Wu, S. Chen, W. Li, and J. Guan, "Broadband RCS reduction by a quaternionic metasurface," Materials, Vol. 14, No. 11, Art. No. 2787, Jun. 2021.
3. Ali, L., Q. Li, T. A. Khan, J. Yi, and X. Chen, "Wideband RCS reduction using coding diffusion metasurface," Materials, Vol. 12, No. 17, Art. No. 2708, Sep. 2019. doi:10.3390/ma12172708
4. Yu, Y., F. Xiao, I. D. Rukhlenko, and W. Zhu, "High-efficiency ultra-thin polarization converter based on planar anisotropic transmissive metasurface," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 118, Art. No. 153141, May 2020.
5. Fan, J. and Y. Cheng, "Broadband high-efficiency cross-polarization conversion and multi-functional wavefront manipulation based on chiral structure metasurface for terahertz wave," Journal of Physics D - Applied Physics, Vol. 53, No. 2, Art. No. 025109, Jan. 9, 2020.
6. Chen, L., Q. F. Nie, Y. Ruan, and H. Y. Cui, "Anisotropic metasurface with high-efficiency reflection and transmission for dual-polarization," Applied Physics A - Materials Science & Processing, Vol. 126, No. 9, Art. No. 758, Sep. 1, 2020.
7. Wu, L. W., H. F. Ma, R. Y. Wu, Q. Xiao, Y. Gou, M. Wang, Z. X. Wang, L. Bao, H. L. Wang, Y. M. Qing, and T. J. Cui, "Transmission-reflection controls and polarization controls of electromagnetic holograms by a reconfigurable anisotropic digital coding metasurface," Advanced Optical Materials, Vol. 8, No. 22, Art. No. 2001065, Nov. 2020.
8. Bao, Y., J. Yan, X. Yang, C.-W. Qiu, and B. Li, "Point-source geometric metasurface holography," Nano Letters, Vol. 21, No. 5, 2332-2338, Mar. 10, 2021. doi:10.1021/acs.nanolett.0c04485
9. Yoon, G., D. Lee, K. Nam, and J. Rho, "Geometric metasurface enabling polarization independent beam splitting," Scientific Reports, Vol. 8, Art. No. 9468, Jun. 21, 2018.
10. Umul, Y. Z., "Diffraction of electromagnetic waves by a planar interface between perfectly absorbing and anomalously transmitting metasurface half-planes," Optik, Vol. 179, 173-181, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2018.10.206
11. Maguid, E., I. Yulevich, M. Yannai, V. Kleiner, M. L. Brongersma, and E. Hasman, "Multifunctional interleaved geometric-phase dielectric metasurfaces," Light-Science & Applications, Vol. 6, Art. No. e17027, Aug. 11, 2017.
12. Liu, S., T. J. Cui, Q. Xu, D. Bao, L. L. Du, X. Wan, W. X. Tang, C. M. Ouyang, X. Y. Zhou, H. Yuan, H. F. Ma, W. X. Jiang, J. G. Han, W. L. Zhang, and Q. Cheng, "Anisotropic coding metamaterials and their powerful manipulation of differently polarized terahertz waves," Light-Science & Applications, Vol. 5, Art. No. e16076, May 2016.
13. Lv, B. Y., C. M. Ouyang, H. F. Zhang, Q. Xu, Y. F. Li, X. Q. Zhang, Z. Tian, J. Q. Gu, L. Y. Liu, J. G. Han, and W. L. Zhang, "All-dielectric metasurface-based quad-beam splitter in the terahertz regime," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 12, No. 5, Art. No. 4601410, Oct. 2020.
14. Ding, X., L. Zhang, K. Zhang, Q. Wu, and C.-W. Qiu, "Ultrathin metasurface based on phase discontinuity with maximal cross-polarization efficiency," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Advanced Materials and Processes for RF and THz Applications (IEEE MTT-S IMWS-AMP 2015), 266-268, Suzhou, China, 2015.
15. Ding, X. M., F. Monticone, K. Zhang, L. Zhang, D. L. Gao, S. N. Burokur, A. de Lustrac, Q. Wu, C.-W. Qiu, and A. Alu, "Ultrathin pancharatnam-berry metasurface with maximal cross-polarization efficiency," Advanced Materials, Vol. 27, No. 7, 1195-1200, Feb. 18, 2015. doi:10.1002/adma.201405047
16. Mueller, J. P. B., N. A. Rubin, R. C. Devlin, B. Groever, and F. Capasso, "Metasurface polarization optics: Independent phase control of arbitrary orthogonal states of polarization," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 118, No. 11, Art. No. 113901, Mar. 14, 2017.
17. Liu, M. Z., P. C. Huo, W. Q. Zhu, C. Zhang, S. Zhang, M. W. Song, S. Zhang, Q. W. Zhou, L. Chen, H. J. Lezec, A. Agrawal, Y. Q. Lu, and T. Xu, "Broadband generation of perfect Poincare beams via dielectric spin-multiplexed metasurface," Nature Communications, Vol. 12, No. 1, Art. No. 2230, Apr. 13, 2021.
18. Pang, H., H. Gao, Q. Deng, S. Yin, Q. Qiu, and C. Du, "Multi-focus plasmonic lens design based on holography," Optics Express, Vol. 21, No. 16, 18689-18696, Aug. 12, 2013. doi:10.1364/OE.21.018689
19. Chen, M., D. P. Zhao, J. J. Cai, C. Y. Wang, X. F. Xiao, and L. Z. Chang, "All-dielectric metasurfaces for circularly polarized beam-splitters with high conversion efficiency and broad bandwidth," Optik, Vol. 165, 41-49, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2018.01.059
20. Lee, W. S. L., S. Nirantar, D. Headland, M. Bhaskaran, S. Sriram, C. Fumeaux, and W. Withayachumnankul, "Broadband terahertz circular-polarization beam splitter," Advanced Optical Materials, Vol. 6, No. 3, 1700852, 2018. doi:10.1002/adom.201700852
21. Liu, C. B., Y. Bai, Q. Zhao, Y. H. Yang, H. S. Chen, J. Zhou, and L. J. Qiao, "Fully controllable pancharatnam-berry metasurface array with high conversion efficiency and broad bandwidth," Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, 34819, 2016. doi:10.1038/srep34819
22. Xie, X., M. B. Pu, K. P. Liu, X. L. Ma, X. Li, J. N. Yang, and X. G. Luo, "High-efficiency and tunable circular-polarization beam splitting with a liquid-filled all-metallic catenary meta-mirror," Advanced Materials Technologies, Vol. 4, No. 7, 1900334, 2019. doi:10.1002/admt.201900334
23. Kuznetsov, S. A., V. A. Lenets, M. A. Tumashov, A. D. Sayanskiy, P. A. Lazorskiy, P. A. Belov, J. D. Baena, and S. B. Glybovski, "Self-complementary metasurfaces for designing terahertz deflecting circular-polarization beam splitters," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 118, No. 13, 131601, 2021. doi:10.1063/5.0042403
24. Yoon, G., D. Lee, K. Nam, and J. Rho, "Geometric metasurface enabling polarization independent beam splitting," Scientific Reports, Vol. 8, 9468, 2018. doi:10.1038/s41598-018-27876-2