Dielectric logging is a valuable tool for locating and developing tight reservoirs, low contrast reservoirs, shale oil and gas reservoirs, and other unconventional oil and gas reservoirs. The processing of multi-frequency and multi-spacing dielectric logging measurements is based on a stable and efficient response computation algorithm. An equivalent computation model for the push-against-hole array dielectric logging tool is established in this paper, and an improved forward method based on the semi-analytical algorithm for dielectric logging response is devised. Thus the calculation speed of each measurement point's dielectric logging response is increased by more than 8 times. Dielectric logging response charts are also constructed, showing amplitude attenuation and phase shift as functions of formation resistivity and relative permittivity at various operating frequencies. The effects of mud cake, invasion, and anisotropy on the response signal are then simulated and evaluated. The findings reveal that: (1) as the high-frequency response changes significantly when the mud cake is thick, to correct the mud cake's influence, the mud cake parameters can be extracted using the high-frequency detection mode. (2) Invasion has a complicated effect on the high-frequency response, and higher resistivity or relative permittivity in the invasion zone can readily lead to an oscillatory nonlinear shift in the response as a function of invasion depth. This means that for high-resistivity and high-permittivity formations, the high-frequency response has a larger sensitivity and a deeper depth of investigation. (3) When the anisotropy coefficient is small, the high-frequency response is preferable for extracting anisotropy; however, as anisotropy increases, the low-frequency response becomes more sensitive to anisotropy than the high-frequency response.
"Fast Computing Method and Response Characteristic Analysis for Array Dielectric Logging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 122, 243-252, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERC22060605
1. Chew, W. C., "Modeling of the dielectric logging tool at high frequencies: Applications and results," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 26, No. 4, 388-398, 1988, https://doi.org/10.1109/36.3042. doi:10.1109/36.3042
2. Forgang, S., B. Corley, A. Garcia, A. Hanif, F. Le, J. Jones, et al. "A new multi-frequency array-dielectric logging service: Tool physics, field testing, and case studies in the permian basin wolfcamp shale," SPWLA 60th Annual Logging Symposium Transactions, 1-21, Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts, 2019, https://doi.org/10.30632/T60ALS-2019_W.
3. Herlinger, R., "Dielectric logging: Principles, applications, and examples from the Brazilian oilfields," Offshore Technology Conference Brasil 2019, OTCB 2019, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4043/29882-ms.
4. Hizem, M., H. Budan, B. Deville, O. Faivre, L. Mosse, and M. Simon, "Dielectric dispersion: A new wireline petrophysical measurement," SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Denver, Colorado, USA, 2008, https://doi.org/10.2118/116130-MS.
5. Hong, D., W.-F. Huang, and Q. H. Liu, "Radiation of arbitrary magnetic dipoles in a cylindrically layered anisotropic medium for well-logging applications," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 54, No. 11, 6362-6370, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2016.2582535. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2016.2582535
6. Hong, D., W.-F. Huang, H. Chen, and Q. H. Liu, "Novel and stable formulations for the response of horizontal-coil eccentric antennas in a cylindrically multilayered medium," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 4, 1967-1977, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2017.2670360. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2670360
7. Kang, Z., S. Ke, C. Yin, W. Wang, S. Zheng, X. Sun, and J. Li, "Dielectric constant measurements of sweep frequency and its effect from 20 MHz to 1000 MHz," Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol. 166, 602-610, March 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2018.03.093. doi:10.1016/j.petrol.2018.03.093
8. Little, J. D., D. R. Julander, L. C. Knauer, J. T. Aultman, and J. L. Hemingway, "Dielectric dispersion measurements in California heavy oil reservoirs," SPWLA 51st Annual Logging Symposium, SPWLA-2010-14021, Society of Petrophysicists and Well-Log Analysts, Perth, Australia, 2010.
9. Liu, C. R., "Principle of dielectric logging tools," Theory of Electromagnetic Well Logging, 447-501, Elsevier, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-804008-9.00012-1.
10. Liu, H., D. Hong, N. Li, W. Han, and Q. H. Liu, "Solving electromagnetic fields by general reflectiontransmission method for coaxial-coil antenna in cylindrically multilayered medium," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 15, No. 6, 912-916, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/LGRS.2018.2814614. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2018.2814614
11. Lovell, J. and W. Chew, "Response of a point source in a multicylindrcally layered medium," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 25, No. 6, 850-858, 1987, https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.1987.289757. doi:10.1109/TGRS.1987.289757
12. Mosse, L., R. Carmona, E. Decoster, O. Faivre, and M. Hizem, "Dielectric dispersion logging in heavy oil: A case study from the orinoco belt," SPWLA 50th Annual Logging Symposium, 16, Society of Petrophysicists and Well-Log Analysts, The Woodlands, Texas, 2009.
13. Pirrone, M., H. Mei, N. Bona, M. Borghi, M. T. Galli, F. Pampuri, et al. "A novel approach based on dielectric dispersion measurements to evaluate the quality of complex shaly-sand reservoirs," SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, 13, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Denver, Colorado, USA, 2011, https://doi.org/10.2118/147245-MS.
14. Rabinovich, M., S. Liu, F. Le, H. M. Maurer, and J. Dahl, "Challenges of measuring dielectric anisotropy with high-frequency dielectric logging tools," SPWLA 56th Annual Logging Symposium 2015, SPWLA-2015-JJ, 2015.
15. Rodríguez-Rozas, Á. and D. Pardo, "priori fourier analysis for 2.5D finite elements simulations of logging-while-drilling (LWD) resistivity measurements," Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 80, 782-791, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2016.05.368. doi:10.1016/j.procs.2016.05.368
16. Rodríguez-Rozas, Á., D. Pardo, and C. Torres-Verdín, "Fast 2.5D finite element simulations of borehole resistivity measurements," Computational Geosciences, Vol. 22, No. 5, 1271-1281, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10596-018-9751-7. doi:10.1007/s10596-018-9751-7
17. Rosa, G. S. and J. R. Bergmann, "Pseudo-analytical modeling for the electromagnetic propagation in stratified cylindrical structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 344-347, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2015.2444418. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2444418
18. Seleznev, N. V., R. L. Kleinberg, M. M. Herron, M. Machlus, A. E. Pomerantz, S. L. Reeder, et al. "Applications of dielectric dispersion logging to oil shale reservoirs," SPWLA 52nd Annual Logging Symposium, SPWLA-2011-G, Society of Petrophysicists and Well-Log Analysts, Colorado Springs, Colorado, 2011.