A novel ultra-broadband Polarization Rotation (PR) Reflective Surface (PRRS) is presented, which can reflect the linearly polarized incident wave in orthogonal polarization state. The proposed PRRS consists of a periodic array of double split ring patches printed on a substrate, which is backed by a metallic ground. A PRRS composed of circular split ring units can realize polarization rotation in two wide frequency bands. When two circular split rings with gradual radii are arranged concentrically, an ultra-broadband polarized rotation will be obtained. This paper explains the mechanism of polarization rotation and the mechanism of Radar Cross Section (RCS) reduction and studies the influence of structural parameters on the polarization rotation frequency band. Simulation results show that a 101.6% PR bandwidth is achieved. Meanwhile, by arranging the unit cells of the PRRS in four orthogonal directions, the monostatic RCS reduction band ranges from 8 GHz to 21.8 GHz (or 92.6%) for arbitrary polarization of the incident wave.
1. Samadi, F. and A. Sebak, "Dielectric based triangle-type AMC structure for RCS reduction at mmWave frequencies," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and North American Radio Science Meeting, 1193-1194, 2020. doi:10.1109/IEEECONF35879.2020.9329564
2. Liu, X., J. Gao, L. Xu, X. Cao, Y. Zhao, and S. Li, "A coding diffuse metasurface for RCS reduction," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 724-727, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2601108
3. Zhang, X. L., M. Niu, L. H. Su, and K. P. Song, "Radar cross section reduction based on metasurface," ChinaCom 2017: Communications and Networking, Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telec, B. Li, L. Shu, D. Zeng (eds.), 236, Springer, Cham, 2018.
4. LibiMol, V. A. and C. K. Aanandan, "Wideband radar cross section reduction using artificial magnetic conductor checkerboard surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 69, 171-183, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18030303
5. Li, Y. F., J. Q. Zhang, S. B. Qu, J. F. Wang, H. Y. Chen, Z. Xu, and A. X. Zhang, "Wideband radar cross section reduction using two-dimensional phase gradient metasurface," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 104, 221110, 2014. doi:10.1063/1.4881935
6. Kumar, P. V. and B. Ghosh, "Polarization sensitive dual-band metasurface lens for X-band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 103, 141-149, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERM21051605
7. Joy, V., A. Dileep, P. Abhilash, R. U. Nair, and H. Singh, "Metasurfaces for stealth applications: A comprehensive review," Journal of Electronic Materials, 1-20, 2021.
8. Turpin, J. P., P. E. Sieber, and D. H.Werner, "Absorbing ground planes for reducing planar antenna radar cross-section based on frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1456-1459, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2288682
9. Jia, Y., Y. Liu, Y. J. Guo, K. Li, and S.-X. Gong, "Broadband polarization rotation reflective surfaces and their applications to RCS reduction," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 1, Jan. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2502981
10. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M. and M. Khanjarian, "Radar cross section reduction using polarization cancellation approach," Radar cross section reduction using polarization cancellation approach, Vol. 74, 107-110, 2018.
11. Yang, W., K.-W. Tam, W.-W. Choi, W. Che, and H. Hui, "Polarization rotation reflective surface based on artificial magnetic conductor and its application," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 21, 2015.
12. Ghosh, S., S. Bhattacharyya, D. Chaurasiya, and K. V. Srivastava, "An ultrawideband ultrathin metameterial absorber based on circular split rings," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 2015.
13. Patel, K. and M. Joshi, "Broadband radar cross section reduction of microstrip antenna using polarization conversion metasurface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 96, 67-86, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERB22060405
14. Qi, Y., B. Zhang, C. Liu, and X. Deng, "Ultra-broadband polarization conversion meta-surface and its application in polarization converter and RCS reduction," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 116675-116684, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3004127
15. Murugesan, A., K. T. Selvan, A. K. Iyer, K. V. Srivatsav, and A. Alphones, "A review of metasurface-assisted RCS reduction techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 94, 75-103, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERB21081401
16. Yin, J. Y., H. J. Sun, and L. Zhang, "An ultra-wideband polarization conversion meta-surface and its application in RCS reduction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 89, 29-36, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERL19091003
17. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M. and M. Khanjarian, "Radar cross section reduction using polarization cancellation approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 74, 107-110, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18020401
18. Zhao, R., H. Chen, L. Zhang, F. Li, P. Zhou, J. Xie, and L. Deng, "Design and implementation of high efficiency and broadband transmission-type polarization converter based on diagonal split-ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 161, 1-10, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIER17110604