This manuscript refers to the electromagnetic scattering problem involving plane waves at skew incidence with respect to the edge of a right-angled metallic wedge having one face coated by a double negative metamaterial sheet. Its presence in the propagation scenario is properly accounted at high frequencies by considering the geometrical optics response of the structure and the diffraction contribution arising from the edge of the wedge. In particular, the reflection coefficients related to the coated surface are determined for both the polarizations by using the equivalent transmission line circuit, whereas the diffraction coefficients are obtained by applying the uniform asymptotic physical optics approach. This last is based on electric and magnetic equivalent surface currents under the physical optics approximation and permits to evaluate the diffraction contribution in the context of the uniform geometrical theory of diffraction. The resulting approximate solution is characterized by the same simplicity of use of the heuristic solutions and provides reliable field values as confirmed by the numerical tests carried out by a full-wave commercial software.
"Scattering from a 90° Metallic Wedge with One Face Coated by a Double Negative Metamaterial Layer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 114, 79-89, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM22092704
1. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, Metamaterials: Physics and Engineering Explorations, Wiley & Sons, USA, 2006.
2. Sakoda, K., Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Modern Insights into Macroscopic Electromagnetic Fields, Springer, Singapore, 2019.
3. Marquéz, R., F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameters: Theory, Design and Microwave Applications, Wiley & Sons, USA, 2008.
5. Kouyoumjian, R. G. and P. H. Pathak, "A uniform geometrical theory of diffraction for an edge in a perfectly conducting surface," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 62, 1448-1461, 1974. doi:10.1109/PROC.1974.9651
6. Tiberio, R., G. Pelosi, and G. Manara, "A uniform GTD formulation for the diffraction by a wedge with impedance faces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 33, 867-873, 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143687
7. Senior, T. B. A. and J. L. Volakis, "Scattering by an imperfect right-angled wedge," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, 681-689, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143864
8. Rojas, R. G., "Electromagnetic diffraction of an obliquely incident plane wave field by a wedge with impedance faces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 36, 956-970, 1988. doi:10.1109/8.7201
9. Syed, H. H. and J. L. Volakis, "An approximate solution for scattering by an impedance wedge at skew incidence," Radio Sci., Vol. 3, 505-524, 1995. doi:10.1029/94RS03015
10. Osipov, A. V. and T. B. A. Senior, "Diffraction by a right-angled impedance wedge," Radio Sci., Vol. 43, RS4S02, 2008. doi:10.1029/2007RS003787
11. Senior, T. B. A. and J. L. Volakis, Approximate Boundary Conditions in Electromagnetics, IEE, Stevenage, 1995. doi:10.1049/PBEW041E
12. Daniele, V. G. and G. Lombardi, "Wiener-Hopf solution for impenetrable wedges at skew incidence," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, 2472-2485, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.880723
13. Lyalinov, M. A. and N. Y. Zhu, "Diffraction of a skew incident plane electromagnetic wave by an impedance wedge," Wave Motion, Vol. 44, 21-43, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.wavemoti.2006.06.005
14. Holm, P. D., "A new heuristic UTD diffraction coefficient for nonperfectly conducting wedge," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, 1211-1219, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.884489
15. El-Sallabi, H. M. and P. Vainikainen, "Improvements to diffraction coefficient for non-perfectly conducting wedges," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, 3105-3109, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.854534
16. Nechayev, Y. I. and C. C. Constantinou, "Improved heuristic diffraction coefficients for an impedance wedge at normal incidence," IEE Proc. - Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 153, 125-132, 2006. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20045150
17. Basdemir, H. D., "Diffraction by a right angle impedance wedge between left- and right-handed media," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 34, No. 7, 869-880, 2020. doi:10.1080/09205071.2020.1759460
18. Gennarelli, G. and G. Riccio, "Diffraction by a planar metamaterial junction with PEC backing," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, 2903-2908, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2052581
19. Ferrara, F., C. Gennarelli, R. Guerriero, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "A UAPO diffraction contribution to take into account the edge effects in microstrip reflectarrays," Electromagn., Vol. 26, 461-471, 2006. doi:10.1080/02726340600837925
20. Gennarelli, G. and G. Riccio, "A uniform asymptotic solution for diffraction by a right-angled dielectric wedge," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, 898-903, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2103031
21. Gennarelli, G. and G. Riccio, "Plane-wave diffraction by an obtuse-angled dielectric wedge," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 28, 627-632, 2011. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.28.000627
22. Gennarelli, G. and G. Riccio, "Useful solutions for plane wave diffraction by dielectric slabs and wedges," Int. J. Antennas Propag., 1-7, 2012.
23. Gennarelli, G. and G. Riccio, "Diffraction by 90˚ penetrable wedges with finite conductivity," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 31, 21-25, 2014. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.31.000021
24. Gennarelli, G., M. Frongillo, and G. Riccio, "High-frequency evaluation of the field inside and outside an acute-angled dielectric wedge," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, 374-378, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2364305
25. Frongillo, M., G. Gennarelli, and G. Riccio, "Diffraction by a structure composed of metallic and dielectric 90˚ blocks," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, 881-885, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2820738
26. Frongillo, M., G. Gennarelli, and G. Riccio, "Plane wave diffraction by arbitrary-angled lossless wedges: High-frequency and time-domain solutions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, 6646-6653, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2876602
27. Frongillo, M., G. Gennarelli, and G. Riccio, "Diffraction by a dielectric wedge on a ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 82, 9-18, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19030601
28. Gennarelli, G. and G. Riccio, "On the accuracy of the UAPO solution for the diffraction by a PEC - DNG metamaterial junction," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 19, 581-585, 2020. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.2972308
29. Gennarelli, G. and G. Riccio, "High-frequency diffraction contribution by planar metallic - DNG metamaterial junctions," Int. J. Microw. Wireless Tech., 1-6, 2020.
30. Frongillo, M., G. Gennarelli, and G. Riccio, "Useful solutions for the plane wave diffraction by a configuration of dielectric and metallic acute-angled wedges," Int. J. Comm. Antenna Propag., Vol. 10, 68-75, 2020.
31. Meana, J. G., J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, F. Las-Heras, and C. Rappaport, "Wave scattering by dielectric and lossy materials using the modified equivalent current approximation (MECA)," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, 3757-3760, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2071363
32. Meana, J. G., J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, and F. Las-Heras, "High frequency techniques: The physical optics approximation and the modified equivalent current approximation (MECA)," Electromagnetic Waves Propagation in Complex Matter, 207-230, A. Kishk (ed.), Intech, Croatia, 2011.
33. Clemmow, P. C., The Plane Wave Spectrum Representation of Electromagnetic Fields, Oxford University Press, UK, 1996. doi:10.1109/9780470546598
34. Maliuzhinets, G. D., "Inversion formula for the Sommerfeld integral," Soviet Physics Doklady, Vol. 3, 52-56, 1958.