A novel balanced-to-unbalanced (BTU) Bagley power divider (BPD) with input-reflectionless filtering characteristics is proposed. It features a balanced input port and three single-ended output ports, which is difficult to achieve by means of conventional BTU power dividers. The filtering characteristics are achieved by parallel coupled lines. To further improve the differential-mode filtering selectivity, stepped impedance resonators are applied to introduce two transmission zeros near the passband. The input-reflectionless characteristic in the bandstop region is achieved by loading absorptive branches. For verifying the proposed power divider topology, a prototype of microstrip BTU Bagley power divider operating at 1.0 GHz is designed and fabricated with 3-dB filtering bandwidth of 72%. Furthermore, 10-dB input-reflectionless bandwidth covers the full measurement frequency from 0 to 2.5 GHz. Good agreement between the simulation and measurement validated the proposed method.
"Balanced-to-Unbalanced Bagley Power Divider with Input-Reflectionless Filtering Characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 136, 123-135, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23063007
1. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
2. Shamaileh, K., A. Qaroot, and N. Dib, "Design of miniaturized 3-way Bagley polygon power divider using non-uniform transmission lines," IEEE Int. Symp. Antenna & Prop., 29-32, Jul. 2011.
3. Saleh, S., W. Ismail, I. S. Z. Abidina, et al. "Compact UWB 1:2:1 unequal-split 3-way Bagley power divider using non-uniform transmission lines," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 35, No. 2, 262-276, Jan. 2021. doi:10.1080/09205071.2020.1832586
4. Dong, G. and X. Yang, "General design equations for arbitrary odd-way filtering Bagley polygon power divider with notch band," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 36, No. 3, 378-387, Aug. 2021. doi:10.1080/09205071.2021.1970028
5. Buesa-Zubiria, A. and J. Esteban, "Design of five-way Bagley polygon power dividers in rectangular waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 66, No. 1, 116-127, Jan. 2018. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2017.2738002
6. Jaradat, H., N. Dib, and K. Al Shamaileh, "Design of multi-band miniaturized Bagley power dividers based on non-uniform coplanar waveguide," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 118, Art. No. 153137, May 2020. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2020.153137
7. Li, W. T., H. R. Zhang, X. J. Chai, et al. "Compact dual-band balanced-to-unbalanced filtering power divider design with extended common-mode suppression bandwidth," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 6, 511-514, Jun. 2022. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2022.3145021
8. Xia, B., L. S. Wu, and J. Mao, "A new balanced-to-balanced power divider/combiner," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 9, 2791-2798, Sep. 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2203926
9. Li, H. Y., J. X. Xu, and X. Y. Zhang, "Miniaturized balanced filtering power dividers with arbitrary power division ratio using multimode dielectric resonator in single cavity," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II Exp. Briefs, Vol. 69, No. 6, 2707-2711, Jun. 2022.
10. Xia, B., L. S. Wu, S. W. Ren, and J. F. Mao, "A balanced-to-balanced power divider with arbitrary power division," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 61, No. 8, 2831-2841, Aug. 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2268739
11. Zhang, G., Q. Zhang, Q. Liu, W. Tang, and J. Yang, "Design of a new dual-band balanced-to-balanced filtering power divider based on the circular microstrip patch resonator," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II Exp. Briefs, Vol. 68, No. 12, 3542-3546, Dec. 2021.
12. Chen, S., W. C. Lee, and T. L. Wu, "Balanced-to-balanced and balanced-to-unbalanced power dividers with ultra-wideband common-mode rejection and absorption based on mode-conversion approach," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 9, No. 2, 306-316, Feb. 2019.
13. Wei, F., Z. J. Yang, P. Y. Qin, et al. "A balanced-to-balanced in-phase filtering power divider with high selectivity and isolation," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 67, No. 2, 683-694, Feb. 2019. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2018.2880903
14. Wu, L. S., Y. X. Guo, L. F. Qiu, and J. F. Mao, "A new balanced-to-single-ended (BTSE) power divider," IEEE Int. Wireless Symp., 1-4, Mar. 2014.
15. Zhang, W., Y. Wu, Y. Liu, F. M. Ghannouchi, and A. Hasan, "A wideband balanced-to-unbalanced coupled-line power divider," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 26, No. 6, 410-412, Jun. 2016. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2016.2561400
16. Gao, X., W. Feng, W. Che, and Q. Xue, "Wideband balanced-to-unbalanced filtering power dividers based on coupled lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 65, No. 1, 86-95, Jan. 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2016.2614668
17. Zhu, H., J.-Y. Lin, and Y. J. Guo, "Filtering balanced-to-single-ended power dividers with wide range and high level of common-mode suppression," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 67, No. 12, 5038-5048, Dec. 2019. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2019.2944383
18. Feng, W., X. Ma, R. Gomez-Garcia, Y. Shi, W. Che, and Q. Xue, "Multi-functional balanced-to-unbalanced filtering power dividers with extended upper stopband," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II Exp. Briefs, Vol. 66, No. 7, 1154-1158, Jul. 2019.
19. Feng, W., W. Che, Y. Shi, Q. Xue, Y. C. Li, and X. Y. Zhou, "High selectivity balanced-to-unbalanced filtering power dividers using dual-mode ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Compon., Packag., Manuf. Technol., Vol. 9, No. 5, 927-935, May 2019. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2018.2866129
20. Wang, Z., Z. Zhu, Y. Fu, P. Han, H. Liu, and S. Fang, "A miniaturized balanced-to-unbalanced in-phase filtering power divider with wide upper stopband and wideband common-mode suppression," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 143181-143187, Oct. 2021.
21. Lee, J., J. Lee, and N. S. Barker, "Rigorous design of input-reflectionless filter with Chebyshev response and exact approach to increase reflectionless range," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 69, No. 10, 4460-4475, Oct. 2021. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2021.3098530
22. Zhao, K., R. Gomez-Garcia, and D. Psychogiou, "Tunable quasi-reflectionless bandpass filters using substrate integrated coaxial resonators," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II Exp. Briefs, Vol. 69, No. 2, 379-383, Feb. 2022.
23. Zhang, Y., Y. Wu, W. Wang, and J. Yan, "High-performance common- and differential-mode re ectionless balanced band-pass filter using coupled ring resonator," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II Exp. Briefs, Vol. 69, No. 3, 974-978, Mar. 2022.
24. Fan, M., K. Song, L. Yang, and R. Gomez-Garcia, "Frequency-reconfigurable input-reflectionless bandpass filter and filtering power divider with constant absolute bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II Exp. Briefs, Vol. 68, No. 7, 2424-2428, Jul. 2021.
25. Lee, B., S. Nam, J. Lee, "Filtering power divider with reflectionless response and wide isolation at output ports," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 67, No. 7, 2684-2692, Jul. 2019. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2019.2913650
26. Pan, B., W. Feng, Y. Shi, M. Huang, W. Che, and Q. Xue, "High-performance wideband balanced bandpass filter based on transversal signal-interference techniques," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 48, No. 12, 4119-4126, Dec. 2020. doi:10.1109/TPS.2020.3035558
27. Kwa, H. W., X. M. Qing, and Z. N. Chen, "Broadband single-fed single-patch circularly polarized antenna for UHF RFID applications," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., 1-4, 2008.
28. Nghiem, X. A., J. Guan, and R. Negra, "Design of a broadband three-way sequential Doherty power amplifier for modern wireless communications," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp., 1-4, 2014.
29. Kang, H., H. Oh, W. Lee, C. S. Park, K. C. Hwang, K. Y. Lee, and Y. Yang, "Symmetric three-way Doherty power amplifier for high efficiency and linearity," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II Exp. Briefs, Vol. 64, No. 8, 862-866, Aug. 2017.