To study effective anti-chaff jamming methods, this paper investigates the echo characteristics of the vessel and the chaff for missile-borne wideband coherent radars. Firstly, the echo model of the missile-borne wideband coherent LFM pulses radar is built, and the range-Doppler image of the echoes is derived. Based on the measured data, the differences of the echoes between the vessel and the chaff are analyzed. Then in terms of the spread feature and the energy evenness of the range-Doppler image, two features of the radar echoes are proposed to distinguish the vessel and chaff. Finally, statistical distributions of the two features are investigated, and we find that the proposed features can be used for chaff jamming identification and suppression.
2. Fu, X., H. Yan, C. Jiang, and M. Gao, "Chaff jamming recognition for anti-vessel end-guidance radars," Proceedings of the 2009 2nd International Congress on Image and Signal Processing, CISP'09, Article No. 5304639, 2009.
3. Jia, X. and G. R. Guo, "Anti-chaff jamming method for anti-ship missile terminal guidance radar," Shipboard Electronic Countermeasure, Vol. 3, No. 3, 21-22, 1998.
4. Fu, H. W., S. W. Zhang, and X. M. Li, "A recognition method of chaff jamming based on gray principle," Electronics Optics & Control, Vol. 10, No. 3, 42-44, 2003.
5. Shang, W., B. X. Chen, and L. F. Jiang, "An anti-chaff jamming method based on the effect of spectral expansion," Guidance & Fuze, Vol. 27, No. 3, 5-10, 2006.
6. Shao, X. H., H. Du, and J. H. Xue, "A recognition method depended on enlarge the difference between target and chaff," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, ICMMT'07, Article No. 4266269, 2007.
7. Chua, M. Y. and V. C. Koo, "FPGA-based chirp generator for high resolution UAV SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 71-88, 2009.
8. Chen, J., Principles of Radar Passive Jamming, 161-164, National Defense Industry Press, Beijing, 2009.
9. Wicks, M. C., E. L. Mokole, S. D. Blunt, R. S. Schneible, and V. J. Amuso , Principles of Waveform. Diversity and Design, Chap. 1, Scitech Publishing Inc., Mendham, New Jersey, 2010.
10. Farina, A. and F. A. Studer, "Detection with high resolution radar: Great promise, big challenge," Journal of Systems Engineering and Electronics, Vol. 3, No. 1, 21-34, 1992.
11. Wehner, D. R., High-resolution Radar, Chap. 4-Chap. 5, Artech House, Boston, 1995.
12. Tao, R., N. Zhang, and Y. Wang, "Analyzing and compensating the effects of range and Doppler frequency migrations in linear frequency modulation pulse compression radar," IET Radar Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 5, No. 1, 12-22, 2011.
13. Liu, B. and W. Chang, "Range alignment and motion compensation for missile-borne frequency stepped chirp radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 523-542, 2013.
14. Calvo-Gallego, J. and F. Perez-Martinez, "Simple traffic surveillance system based on range-Doppler radar images," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 343-364, 2012.
15. Xia, G. F., H. C. Zhu, and H. Y. Su, "Research on the anti-chaff-interference for modulated stepped frequency terminal guided radar," Radar Science and Technology, Vol. 7, No. 1, 14-17, 2009.
16. Liu, B. and W. Chang, "A novel range-spread target detection approach for frequency stepped chirp radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 275-292, 2012.
17. Xi, L., "Auto focusing of ISAR images based on entropy minimization," IEEE Trans. Aerospace Electron. Syst., Vol. 35, No. 4, 1240-1252, 1999.
18. Xu, S., P. Shui, and X. Yan, "CFAR detection of range-spread target in white Gaussian noise using waveform entropy," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 9, 647-649, 2010.
19. Chen, X. R. and Z. G. Zheng, Modern Mathematics Handbook: Stochastic Mathematics, 38-46, Huazhong University of Science and Technology Press, 1999.