The waveguide re-entrant or inverted re-entrant turnstile circulator relies for its operation on either a quarter wave long cylindrical or prism resonator mounted on either a circular or an equilateral platform with its open face separated from the top waveguide wall by a suitable gap. The adjustment of the prism geometry, the main endeavour of this paper, is characterized by two degrees of freedom. One degree of freedom is the orientation of the prism inside the junction with respect to a typical waveguide feed. The others are the aspect ratio of the gyromagnetic resonator and the choice of platform or piston. The agreement between some calculations based on a Finite Element (FE) engine and experiment is excellent. The work undertaken here indicates that the preferred geometry is that for which the platform has the crosshairs section of the resonator.
1. Schaug-Patterson, T., "Novel design of a 3-port circulator,", Norwegian Defense Research Establishment Report, Rpt. No. R-59, Jan. 1958. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1959.1124688
2. Auld, B. A., "The synthesis of symmetrical waveguide circulators," IRE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 7, 238-246, Apr. 1959. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1965.1125923
3. Fay, C. E. and R. L. Comstock, "Operation of the ferrite junction circulator," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 13, 15-27, Jan. 1965. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1970.1127417
4. Owen, B. and C. E. Barnes, "The compact turnstile circulator," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 18, 1096-1100, Dec. 1970. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2209452
5. Helszajn, J., "An FE algorithm for the adjustment of the first circulation condition of the turnstile waveguide circulator," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 60, 3079-3087, Oct. 2012.
6. Ogasawara, N. and T. Noguchi, "Modal analysis of the dielectric slab of the normal triangular cross section," Papers of the Technical Group of Microwave IECE Japan, Jun. 1974 (in Japanese). doi:10.1109/TMTT.1977.1129032
7. Akaiwa, Y., "Mode classification of a triangular ferrite post for Y-circulator," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 25, 59-61, Jan. 1977. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1983.1131522
8. Helszajn, J. and J Sharp, "Resonant frequencies, Q-factor, and susceptance slope parameter of waveguide circulators using weakly magnetized open resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 31, 434-441, Jun. 1983.
9. Helszajn, J., "Adjustment of degree-2 H-plane waveguide turnstile circulator using prism resonator," Microwave Engineering Europe, 35-48, Jul. 1999.
10. Riblet, G., J. Helszajn, and B. O'Donnell, "Loaded Q-factors of partial height and full-height triangular resonators for use in waveguide circulators," Proc. Eur. Microwave Conf., 420-424, 1979. doi:10.1049/piee.1975.0325
11. Helszajn, J. and F. C. F. Tan, "Susceptance slope parameter of waveguide partial-height ferrite circulators," Proc. Inst. Elec. Eng., Vol. 122, No. 72, 1329-1332, Dec. 1975. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2047917
12. Helszajn, J., A. Casanueva, A. Mediavilla, J. A. Pereda, M. Caplin, and B. O’Donnell, "A two-port WR75 waveguide turnstile gyromagnetic switch," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 58, 1485-1492, Jun. 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1973.1128053
13. Helszajn, J., "Frequency response of quarter-wave coupled reciprocal stripline junctions," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 21, 533-537, Aug. 1973.
14. Helszajn, J., "Experimental evaluation of junction circulators: A review," IEE Proc. - Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 141, No. 9, 351-358, Oct. 1994.
15. Levy, R. and J. Helszajn, "Specific equations for one and two section quarter-wave matching networks for stub resistor loads," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory Techn., Vol. 30, 56-63, Jan. 1982.
16. Bosma, H., "On the principle of stripline circulation," Proc. IEE Suppl., Vol. 109, 137-146, 1962.