Limiter is a protective structure that is considered a vital device in microwave systems, especially radars. A limiter operates as a receiver protection against large input power for receiver microwave circuit component protection and allows the receiver to function normally when these large signals are not present. In this paper, the investigation and implementation of a miniaturized microwave substrate integrated waveguide power limiter (SIWL), approximately 43×20.5×135 millimeters cubed, for low power receiver protection in military S-Band portable radar applications are compared with a rectangular waveguide limiter (RWGL), approximately 72.14×64.04×178.05 millimeters cubed, and analyzed using commercial software. The proposed limiter design configurations for receiver protection have been designed, analyzed, and compared with samples of the other literature techniques. The proposed designs have been fabricated, and the microwave characteristics have been illustrated. The measured results of the proposed limiters have been analyzed, and the agreement between the measured and simulated results shows that the proposed limiters provide excellent protection and meet the needs of low power receiver portable radar and communication applications with a design that reduces SIWL size.
Ahmed F. Miligy,
Assem H. Elfeky,
Hassan Nadir Kheirallah,
Mohamed R. M. Rizk,
Yasser M. Madany,
"Study of Miniaturized SIW and RWG Limiters for S-Band Receiver Protector Radar and Communication Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 132, 171-185, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23012202
1. Madany, Y. M. and A. F. Miligy, "Investigation and design of Microwave Waveguide Power Limiter (MWPL) for communication and radar applications," Inter. Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA'2015), Torino, Italy, Sep. 2015.
2. Miligy, A. F., Y. M. Madany, and A. M. Soliman, "Investigation and design of microwave receiver protector for meteorological radar applications," International Telecommunications Conference (ITC-Egypt'2021), ADC, Egypt, Jul. 13-15, 2021.
3., "Receiver protector limiter: CLS series," Communications & Power Industries LLC, Microwave Journal, May 2019.
7., "Waveguide impedance and impedance matching," Radio-Electronics, http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/antennas/waveguide/waveguide-impedance-matching-iris-post.php.
8. Bilotta, R., "Receiver protector: Theory of operation," Communications & Power Industries, Microwave Division, 2020.
9. Miligy, A. F., A. H. Elfeky, H. N. Kheirallah, and M. R. M. Rizk, "Investigation and implementation of integrated SIW system for hexagonal diamond of lamda shape slots fractal array antenna for X and Ku-band applications," International Journal of Telecommunications, IJT 2021, Vol. 1, No. 1, Dec. 2021.
10. Nguyen-Trong, N. and C. Fumeaux, "Half-mode substrate-integrated waveguides and their applications for antenna technology: A review of the possibilities for antenna design," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 60, No. 6, 20-31, 2018. doi:10.1109/MAP.2018.2870587
11. Bouchra, R. and M. Feham, "Design of K-band substrate integrated waveguide coupler, circulator and power divider," International Journal of Information and Electronics Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 1, 47, 2014.
12. Elfeky, A. H., A. F. Miligy, H. N. Kheirallah, and M. R. M. Rizk, "Integration of SIW directional coupler and E-plane tee for wideband antenna using hybrid of rectangular and ring slots for X-band applications," The International Telecommunications Conference, ITC-Egypt'2022, Jul. 26-28, 2022.
13. Der, E. T., T. R. Jones, and M. Daneshmand, "Miniaturized 4 × 4 Butler matrix and tunable phase shifter using ridged half-mode substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 68, No. 8, 3379-3388, 2020. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2020.2989798
14. Song, K., et al. "Dual-passband bandpass-filtering power divider using half-mode substrate integrated waveguide resonator with high frequency selectivity," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 9, e22309, 2020. doi:10.1002/mmce.22309
15. Hussein, O., et al. "A half-mode substrate integrated waveguide filtering power divider with fourier-varying via holes," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 63, No. 12, 2964-2968, 2021. doi:10.1002/mop.33002
16. Moulay, A. and T. Djerafi, "Wilkinson power divider with fixed width substrate-integrated waveguide line and a distributed isolation resistance," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 2, 114-116, 2018. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2018.2790706
17. Elfeky, A. H., A. F. Miligy, H. N. Kheirallah, and M. R. M. Rizk, "Analysis and implementation of binomial SIW slot antenna array based on Pascal's triangle using 6-port SIW directional coupler for X-band systems," The International Telecommunications Conference, ITC-Egypt'2022, Jul. 26-28, 2022.
18. Bouazza, T. H. C., K. Nouri, B. S. Bouazza, M. Damou, and K. Becharef, "Multilayer substrate integrated waveguide directional coupler," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 11, No. 4, Jul. 2016.
19. Kou, B., E. Li, and Z. Zhang, "A Ku band high power rectangular waveguide directional coupler's design," 2012 Spring Congress on Engineering and Technology (S-CET), 1-4, May 27-30, 2012.
20. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antennas," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 80, No. 1, 79-91, Jan. 1992. doi:10.1109/5.119568
21. Amine, M., et al. "Half-Mode Substrate Integrated Waveguide (HMSIW) for X-band applications," 10th Research World International Conference, 2016.
22. Doucha, S. and M. Abri, "New design of leaky wave antenna based on SIW technology for beam steering," International Journal of Computer Networks & Communications, Vol. 5, No. 5, 2013. doi:10.5121/ijcnc.2013.5506
23. Djerafi, T., A. Doghri, and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide antennas," Handbook of Antenna Technologies, Springer Science, 2015.
25. Smith, D. G., D. D. Heston, and D. L. Allen, "Designing high-power limiter circuits with GaAs PIN diodes," 1999 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (Cat. No. 99CH36282), Vol. 1, 329-332, Anaheim, CA, USA, 1999, doi: 10.1109/MWSYM.1999.779486. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.1999.779486
26. Shen, J., J. Liu, M. Lin, Z. Wu, and S. D. Validation, "A microwave limiter with non-reciprocal limiting threshold," Electronics Letters, Vol. 59, No. 2, 1-3, Jan. 2023. doi:10.1049/ell2.12730
27. Gauvin, J., O. Vendier, J.-L. Cazaux, and P. Blondy, "Microwave power limiters based on RF-MEMS," 2013 IEEE 26th International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS), 769-772, Taipei, Taiwan, 2013, doi: 10.1109/MEMSYS.2013.6474356. doi:10.1109/MEMSYS.2013.6474356
28. Pham, B. L., D. P. Nguyen, A.-V. Pham, and P. D. Le, "High power monolithic pHemt GaAs limiter for T/R module," Compound Semiconductor Integrated Circuit Symposium, 1-4, 2016, 10.1109/CSICS.2016.7751041.
29. Tiwari, A. and R. C. Yadav, "Switch limiter for high power radar application," International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT), Vol. 6, No. 4, 617-619, Apr. 2017.