In this paper, we propose a modified version of the Random Sample Consensus (RANSAC) method for Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR) image registration based on the Scale-Invariant Feature Transform (SIFT). Because of speckle, the ``maximization of inliers'' criterion in the original RANSAC cannot obtain the optimal results. Since in InSAR image registration, the registration accuracy is in inverse proportion to number of residues. Therefore, we modify the old criterion with a new one --- minimization of residues --- to obtain the optimal results. We tested our method on a variety of real data from different sensors, and the experimental results demonstrated the validity and robustness of the proposed method.
2. Hanssen, R. F., Radar Interferometry: Data Interpretation and Error Analysis, Kluwer Academic, 2001.
3. Li, C. and D. Y. Zhu, "A residue-pairing algorithm for InSAR phase unwrapping," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 341-354, 2009.
4. Wu, B. I., M. C. Yeung, Y. Hara, and J. A. Kong, "InSAR height inversion by using 3-D phase projection with multiple baselines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 173-193, 2009.
5. Li, S., H. Xu, and L. Zhang, "An advanced DSS-SAR InSAR terrain height estimation approach based on baseline decoupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 207-224, 2011.
6. Liu, Q., S. Xing, X. Wang, J. Dong, D. Dai, and Y. Li, "The ``slope" effect of coherent transponder in InSAR DEM," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 351-370, 2012.
7. Stone, H. S., M. T. Orchard, E. C. Change, and S. A. Martucci, "A fast direct Fourier based algorithm for subpixel registration of images," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 39, No. 10, 2235-2243, 2001.
8. Lin, Q., J. F. Vesecky, and H. A. Zebker, "New approaches in interferometric SAR data processing," IEEE Trans. Geosci Remote Sens., Vol. 30, No. 3, 560-567, 1992.
9. Gabriel, K. and R. M. Goldstein, "Crossed orbit interferometry: Theory and experimental results from SIR-B," Int. J. Remote Sens., Vol. 9, No. 5, 857-872, Sep. 1988.
10. Natsuaki, R. and A. Hirose, "SPEC method --- A fine coregistration method for SAR interferometry," IEEE Trans. Geosci Remote Sens., Vol. 49, No. 1, 28-37, 2011.
11. Li, D. and Y. H. Zhang, "A fast offset estimation approach for InSAR image subpixel registration," IEEE Geosci Remote Sens Letters., Vol. 9, No. 2, 267-271, 2011.
12. Lowe, D. G., "Object recognition from local scale-invariant features," IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, Vol. 2, 1150-1157, Kerkyra, Greece, Sep. 20-27, 1999.
13. Lowe, D. G., "Distinctive image features from scale-invariant keypoints," Int. J. Comput. Vis., Vol. 60, No. 2, 91-110, 2004.
14. Fischler, M. A. and R. C. Bolles, "Random sample consensus: A paradigm for model fitting with applications to image analysis and automated cartography," Commun. ACM, Vol. 24, No. 6, 381-395, 1981.
15. Schwind, P., S. Suri, P. Reinartz, and A. Siebert, "Applicability of the SIFT operator for geometrical SAR image registration," Int. J. Remote Sens., Vol. 31, No. 8, 1959-1980, 2010.
16. Morel, J. M. and G. S. Yu, "ASIFT: A new framework for fully affine invariant image comparison," SIAM J. Imag. Sci., Vol. 2, No. 2, 438-469, 2009.
17. Li, Q. L., G. Y. Wang, J. G. Liu, and S. B. Chen, "Robust scale-invariant feature matching for remote sensing image registration," EEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 6, No. 2, 287-291, 2009.
18. Suri, S., P. Schwind, J. Uhl, and P. Reinartz, "Modifications in the SIFT operator for effective SAR image matching," nt. J. Image Data Fus., Vol. 1, No. 3, 243-256, 2010.
19. Wang, S., H. You, and K. Fu, "BFSIFT: A novel method to find feature matches for SAR image registration," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 9, No. 4, 649-653, 2012.
20. Goncalves, H., L. Corte-Real, and J. Goncalves, "Automatic image registration through image segmentation and SIFT," IEEE Trans. Geosci Remote Sens., Vol. 49, No. 7, 2589-2600, 2011.
21. Goldstein, R. M., H. A. Zebker, and C. L.Werner, "Satellite radar interferometry: Two-dimensional phase unwrapping," Radio Science, Vol. 23, No. 4, 713-720, 1988.
22. Guarnier, M. I. and C. Prati, "A quick and dirty coherence estimator for data browsing," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 35, 660-669, May 1997.