This paper presents a design of circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) array. The dielectric resonators (DRs) were excited by rectangular aperture coupling slots feed with a linear microstrip. The slot positions were determined based on the characteristic of standing wave ratio over a short ended microstrip to deliver the maximum amount of coupling power to the DRs, in order to improve the array gain. Each DR element was rotated 45ᵒ with respect to the sides of the exciting slot to generate circular polarization pattern. The DRA array was modeled and simulated as a parallel RLC input impedance component using Agilent (ADS) software, since that will ensure the resonant frequency of the antenna as primary design step before simulating in (CST) software and doing the measurements. The results of the return loss, gain, radiation and pattern axial ratio are shown. The gain of the proposed array in X band was about 8.5 dBi, while the 3dB axial ratio bandwidth started from 8.14 to 8.24 GHz. The impedance bandwidths started from 8.14GHz to 8.26GHz. The proposed DRA exhibited an enhancement of the gain in comparison to a single pellet DRA. The size of the whole antenna structure is about 40 mm X 50 mm and can potentially be used in wireless systems.
Mohd Fadzil Ain,
Yazeed Mohammad A. Qasaymeh,
Zainal Arrifin Ahmad,
Mohammad Azman Zakariya,
Mohamad Ariff Othman,
Seyi Stephen Olokede,
Mohd Zaid Abdullah,
"Novel Modeling and Design of Circularly Polarized Dielectric Resonator Antenna Array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 28, 165-179, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12021801
1. Long, , S., , M. McAllister, and S. Liang, "The resonant cylindrical dielectric cavity antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation,, Vol. 31, No. 2, 406-412, , 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143080
2. Wee, , F. H., et al., , "Investigation of the characteristics of barium strontium titanate (BST) dielectric resonator ceramic loaded on array antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 21, 181-213, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11080815
3. Lee, , R. Q. , R. N. Simons, and , "Bandwidth enhancement of dielectric resonator antennas," 1993 Digest, Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, AP-3, 1993.
4. Eshrah, , I. A., et al., , "Theory and implementation of dielectric resonator antenna excited by a waveguide slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 483-494, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.838782
5. Al-Zoubi, A. S., , A. A. Kishk, and A. W. Glisson, , "Analysis and design of a rectangular dielectric resonator antenna fed by dielectric image line through narrow slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 77, , 379-390, , 2007.. doi:10.2528/PIER07082504
6. Ain, , M. F., , Y. M. Qasaymeh, Z. A. Ahmad, M. A. Zakariya, M. A. Othman, A. A. Sulaiman, A. Othman, S. D. Hutagalung, and M. Z. Abdullah, , "A novel 5.8 GHz array dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 201-210, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10053104
8. Kishk, A. A., An elliptic dielectric resonator antenna designed for circular polarization with single feed, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters,, Vol. 37, No. 6, , 454-456, , 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.10948
9. Leung, K. W., et al., "Circular-polarised dielectric resonator antenna excited by dual conformal strips," Electronics Letters,, Vol. 36, No. 6, 484-486, 2000. doi:10.1049/el:20000453
10. Huang, , C.-Y., , J.-Y. Wu, and K.-L. Wong, , "Cross-slot-coupled microstrip antenna and dielectric resonator antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation , Vol. 47, No. 4, 605-609, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.768798
11. Li, , B., , K. K. So, and K. W. Leung, , "A circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna excited by an asymmetrical U-slot with a backing cavity," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation, Vol. 2, No. 1, 133-135, , 2003. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2003.816641
12. Hsiao, F.-R., , T.-W. Chiou, and K.-L. Wong, "Circularly polarized low-pro¯le square dielectric resonator antenna with a loading patch," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 31, No. 2, 157-159, 2001.. doi:10.1002/mop.1385
13. Laisne, , A., , R. Gillard, and G. Piton, "Circularly polarised dielectric resonator antenna with metallic strip," Electronics Letters, Vol. 38, No. 2, 106-107, , 2002. doi:10.1049/el:20020075
14. Petosa, , A., , A. Ittipiboon, and M. Cuhaci, "Array of circular-polarised cross dielectric resonator antennas," Electronics Letters , Vol. 32, No. 19, , 1742-1743, , 1996.. doi:10.1049/el:19961175
15. Kishk, , A. A., "Performance of planar four-element array of single-fed circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 38, No. 3, 381-384, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.11066
16. Palmer, , K. D., , J. H. Cloete, and J. J. van Tonder, , "Bandwidth improvement of circularly polarised arrays using sequential rotation," 1992 Digest, Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, AP-S., Held in Conjuction with: IEEE URSI Radio Science , 1992.
18. Haneishi, , M. , H. Takazawa, and , "Broadband circularly polarised planar array composed of a pair of dielectric resonator antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 21, No. 10, 437-438, , 1985. doi:10.1049/el:19850311
19. Petosa, , A., et al., , "Bandwidth improvement for a microstrip-fed series array of dielectric resonator antennas," Electronics Letters,, Vol. 32, No. 7, 608-609, 1996. doi:10.1049/el:19960451
20. Mousavi Kejani, E. and M. H. Neshati., "Design investigation of circularly polarized Dielectric Resonator Antenna array excited by Dielectric Image Line," 18th Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE),, 2010.
21. Pozar, D. M., , D. M., , "Microstrip antenna aperture-coupled to a microstripline," Electronics Letters,, Vol. 21, No. 2, 49-50, 1985.. doi:10.1049/el:19850034
22. Oliver, M. B., , R. K. Mongia, and Y. M. M. Antar, "A new broadband circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna," Digest, Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, AP-S., 1995.
23. Pozar, , D., , "A reciprocity method of analysis for printed slot and slot-coupled microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation,, Vol. 34, No. 12, 1439-1446, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143785
24. Sullivan, , P. , D. Schaubert, and , "Analysis of an aperture coupled microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 8, 977-984, 34, No. . doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143929
25. Ittipiboon, , A., et al., "Aperture fed rectangular and triangular dielectric resonators for use as magnetic dipole antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 29, No. 23, 2001-2002, 1993. doi:10.1049/el:19931334
26. Ruan, , Y.-F., , Y.-X. Guo, and X.-Q. Shi, , "Equivalent circuit model of a tri-resonance wideband dielectric resonator antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, , Vol. 49, No. 6, , 1427-1433, , 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22470
27. Kishk, , A. A., , et al., "Numerical analysis of stacked dielectric resonator antennas excited by a coaxial probe for wideband applications ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation , Vol. 51, No. 8, 1996-2006, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.814735
28. Collin, , R. E., , Foundations for Microwave Engineering [Hauptw.], 2nd Ed., MacGraw-Hill, New York, , 1992..
29. Kajfez, , D. , P. Guillon, and , "Dielectric Resonators, ,", 1986..
30. Mirshekar-Syahkal, , D., , "Spectral Domain Method for Microwave Integrated Circuits, ," Research Studies Press, Wiley, , 1990..
31. Akhavan, H. G. , D. Mirshekar-Syahkal, and , "Approximate model for microstrip fed slot antennas," Electronics Letters, , Vol. 30, No. 23, , 1902-1903, , 1994.. doi:10.1049/el:19941300