This paper reports algorithm and technique for the accurate phase calibration in order to measure current and voltage waveforms at the terminals of two-port microwave devices. The calibration approach presented in this paper does not require any multi-harmonic coherent signal generator and golden standard, reported in earlier papers, thus allowing the system to be more reliable, generic and accurate. The results achieved using the reported calibration algorithm on a developed measurement setup shows good agreement with those obtained on a standard commercial scope. In the end, it has been shown that the developed algorithm and measurement setup can be adapted for carrying out waveform engineering which clearly identifies the application of this work in the characterization and measurement of microwave devices.
Walid Saber El-Deeb,
Mohammad S. Hashmi,
Fadhel M. Ghannouchi,
"Systematic Calibration of Two-Port Network Analyzer for Measurement and Engineering of Waveforms at Radio Frequency," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 28, 209-222, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12030808
1. Bensmida, , S., , P. Poire, R. Negra, F. M. Ghannouchi, and G. Brassard, "New time-domain voltage and current waveform measurement setup for power amplifir characterization and optimization," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 1, 224-231, January 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.912225
2. El-Deeb, , W. S., , M. S. Hashmi, S. Bensmida, N. Boulejfen, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Thru-less calibration algorithm and measurement system for on-wafer large-signal characterization of microwave devices," IET Microwaves, Antenna and Propagation , Vol. 4, No. 11, 1773-1781, , November 2010.. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0317
3. Hashmi, , M. S., , A. L. Clarke, S. P. Woodington, J. Lees, J. Benedikt, and P. J. Tasker, "An accurate calibrate-able multi-harmonic active load-pull system based on the envelope load-pull concept," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques , Vol. 58, No. 3, 656-664, March 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2040403
4. Hashmi, , M. S., A. L. Clarke, P. J. Helaoui, P. J. Tasker, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Agile harmonic envelope load-pull system enabling reliable and rapid device characterization," Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 21, No. 5, 1-9, 2010. doi:10.1088/0957-0233/21/5/055109
5. Ramadan, , A., , T. Reveyrand, A. Martin, J. M. Nebus, P. Bouysse, L. Lapierre, J. F. Villemazet, and S. Forestier, "Experimental study on e®ect of second-harmonic injection at input of classes of F and F-1 GaN power amplifiers," IET Electronic Letter, Vol. 46, No. 8, 570-572, , April 15 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.0392
6. Ghannouchi, , F. M. , M. S. Hashmi, and , "Experimental investigation of the uncontrolled higher harmonic impedances effects on the performance of high power microwave devices," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2480-2482, November 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25494
7. Raab, , F. H., , "Class-F power amplifiers with maximally flat waveforms," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques,, Vol. 45, No. 11, 2007-2012, , November 1997. doi:10.1109/22.644215
8. Rhodes, , J. D., , "Output universality in maximum e±ciency in linear power amplifier," International Journal on Circuit Theory and Applications, Vol. 31, 385-405, 2003. doi:10.1002/cta.239
10. Bousnina, , S., C. Falt, P. Mandeville, A. B. Kouki, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "An accurate on-wafer deembedding technique with application to HBT devices characterization ," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 420, No. 424, 50-2, Februar 2002.
11. Wei, , C. J., , Y. A. Tkachenko, and D. Bartle, "Waveform measurement technique and its applications to optimum loading studies on power FETS," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 666-669, 2002.
12. Kompa, , G. , F. van Raay, and , "Error-corrected large-signal waveform measurement system combining network analyzer and sampling oscilloscope capabilities," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 38, No. 4, 358-365, April 1990.. doi:10.1109/22.52575
13. Lott, , U., "Measurement of magnitude and phase of harmonics generated in nonlinear microwave two-ports," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 37, No. 10, 1506-1511, October 1989.. doi:10.1109/22.40993
14. Sipila, M., , K. Lehtinen, and V. Porra, , "High-frequency periodic time-domain waveform measurement system," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 36, No. 10, 1397-1405, October 1988. doi:10.1109/22.6087
15. Williams, , D. J. , P. J. Tasker, and , "An automated active source and load-pull measurement system," Proc. 6th IEEE High Frequency Student Colloquium, 7-12, Septembe 2001.
16. Blockley, P. S., J. G. Rathmell, and , "Towards generic calibration," 65th Spring ARFTG Conference Digest, 1-5, , June 2005. doi:10.1109/ARFTGS.2005.1500559
17. Wei, , C. J., , Y. A. Tkachenko, and D. Bartle, , "Waveform measurement technique and its applications to optimum loading studies on power FETS," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 666-669, 2002.
21. Takayama, , Y., "A new load-pull characterization method for microwave power transistors," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, , 218-220, 1976.
22. Le, , D.-L. , F. M. Ghannouchi, and , "Multi-tone characterization and design of FET resistive mixers based on combined active source-pull/load-pull techniques," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 9, 1201-1208, Septembe 1998. doi:10.1109/22.709457
23. Ghannouchi, , F. M., , M. S. Hashmi, S. Bensmida, and M. Helaoui, "Loop enhanced passive source- and load-pull technique for high re°ection factor synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 11, 2952-2959, November 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2077990