Simple internal multiband monopole antenna with low SAR for most of wireless mobile communication applications is presented in this paper. The proposed antenna is a unequal arms monopole antenna with a meander strip in the other substrate side. The antenna has a simple structure and is sufficiently small in size to be easily fit on the housing of mobile or USB dongle with size 18 × 15 × 0.8 mm3. The antenna is designed to operate at multi-bands to occupy most of allocated wireless communication devices by using high frequency structure simulator ver. 13 (HFSS). The proposed antenna has acceptable gain and efficiency while providing broadside radiation pattern that covers the horizontal plane. The antenna design and experimental results are in agreement. Moreover, the specific absorption rate (SAR) in the human head is investigated by CST 2012 Microwave Studio Hugo Voxel Model.
1., , Wireless USB Promoter Group [Online], Available at http://www.usb.org/developers/wusb、. doi:10.1002/mop.24429
2. Park, P. and H. Choi, "Internal multiband monopole antenna for wireless-USB dongle application," Microwave and Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 7, 1786-1788, Jul. 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.21502
3. Wong, K. L. and L. C. Chou, "Internal composite monopole antenna for WLAN/WIMAX operation in a laptop computer," Microwave and Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, 868-871, 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.24878
4. Yu, S. Y. and J. H. Choi, "A compact modified monopole type internal antenna for wireless USB dongle application," Microwave and Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, 198-201, Jan. 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310790322037
5. Chen, W.-S., B.-Y. Lee, and C.-H. Chen, "Small printed monopole antenna for wireless USB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 1, 41-50, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10080303
6. Gong, J.-G., Y.-C. Jiao, Q. Wang, J. Li, and G. Zhao, "A militarization internal wideband antenna for wireless USB dongle application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 67-74, 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20080017
7. Pazin, L., N. Telzhensky, and Y. Leviatan, "Wideband flat-plate inverted-F laptop antenna for WI-FI/WIMAX operation," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, 568-573, Sep. 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.20337
8. Su, S. W., K. L. Wong, and C. L. Tang, "Ultra-wideband square planar monopole antenna for IEEE 802.16a operation in the 211-GHz band," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 42, 463-466, 2004. doi:10.1163/156939312800030794
9. Ban, Y.-L., H.-M. Yuan, J.-H. Chen, J. Li, and Y. J. Wu, "A novel ultra-wideband antenna with distributed inductance for wireless USB dongle attached to laptop computer," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2-3, 179-191, Jan. 2012. doi:10.1163/156939311795762141
10. Yang, O. J., J. Zhang, K. Z. Zhang, and F. Yang, "Compact folded dual-band slot antenna for wireless communication USB dongle application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1221-1230, Jan. 2011.
11. IEEE standard for safety levels with respect to human exposure to radio frequency electromagnetic fields, 3 kHz to 300 GHz, IEEE International Committee on Electromagnetic Safety (SCC39), 2005.
12. ICNIRP, "Guidelines for limiting exposure to time-varying electric, magnetic and electromagnetic fields (up to 300 GHz)," Health Physics, Vol. 74, 494-522, 1998. doi:10.1002/mop.23292
13. Tang, I. T., D.-B. Lin, W.-L. Chen, and J.-H. Horng, "Miniaturized hexaband meandered PIFA antenna using three meandered-shaped slits," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, 1022-1025, Apr. 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL10052004
14. Li, F., L.-S. Ren, G. Zhao, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Compact triple band monopole antenna with C-shaped and S-shaped meander strips or WLAN/WIMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 107-116, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09062702
15. Chou, , H-H., H.-T. Hsu, H.-T. Chou, K.-H. Liu, and F.-Y. Kuo, "Reduction of peak SAR in human head for handset applications resistive sheets (R-CARDS)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 281-296, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939307779391722
16. Kuo, L.-C., Y.-C. Kan, and H.-R. Chuang, "Analysis of a 900/1800-MHz dual-band gap loop antenna on a handset with proximate head and hand model," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 107-122, 2007.