A novel planar circular Apollonian fractal shaped UWB monopole antenna with band rejection capability is presented in this paper. The antenna performs satisfactorily in the frequency range 1.8-10.6 GHz which gives a wide impedance bandwidth of 142% for VSWR within 2. The proposed antenna has the capability to reject the frequency band 5.125-5.825 GHz assigned for IEEE802.11 a and HIPERLAN/2. This is achieved by a pair of narrow band resonant L-shaped slots in the CPW ground plane. The antenna exhibits satisfactory omnidirectional radiation characteristics throughout its operating band. The measured peak gain varies from 2 dBi to 6 dBi in the entire UWB band except the notch band. The performances of time domain characteristic is satisfactory with a group delay variation of 1 ns that shows the antenna is non dispersive. To ensure the usefulness of the proposed antenna in pulse communications systems, the correlation between the time-domain transmitting antenna input signal and the receiving antenna output signal is calculated. This antenna can be effectively used for medical imaging and military radar system along with other common UWB applications.
1., "the commission's First Report and Order in the matter of Revision of Part 15 of Rules Regarding Ultra-Wideband Transmission Systems,", Released by Federal Communication Commission ET-Docket 98-153, Apr. 22, 2002.
2., "FCC Report and Order for Part 15 Acceptance of Ultra Wideband (UWB) Systems from 3.1-10.6 GHz ,", FCC Website, Feb. 2002.
3. Zhu, F., S. Gao, J. Z. Li, and J. D. Xu, "Planar asymmetrical ultra-wideband antenna with improved multiple band-notched characteristics," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 11, May 24, 2012.
4. Emadian, S. R., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, M. Mirmozafari, and J. Pourahmadazar, "Bandwidth enhancement of CPW-fed circle-like slot antenna with dual band-notched characteristic," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 2012.
5. Emadian, R., M. Mirmozafari, C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Bandwidth enhancement of dual band-notched circle-like slot antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 7, Mar. 29, 2012.
6. Bazaz, R., S. K. Koul, M. Kumar, and A. Basu, "An ultra-wideband antenna with band reject capability and its characterization in time domain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 19, 223-234, 2011.
7. Gao, G.-P., Z.-L. Mei, and B.-N. Li, "Novel circular slot UWB antenna with dual band-notched characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 49-63, 2010.
8. Rezaeieh, S. A. and M. Abbak, "A novel compact antenna enhanced with variable notches," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 4, Apr. 2012.
9. Moosazadeh, M., A. M. Abbosh, and Z. Esmati, "Design of compact planar ultrawideband antenna with dual-notched bands using slotted square patch and pi-shaped conductor backed plane," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propogation, Vol. 6, No. 3, 290-294, 2012.
10. Jiang, W. and W. Che, "A novel UWB antenna with dual notched bands for WiMAX and WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 2012.
11. Ghatak, R., R. Debnath, D. R. Poddar, and R. K. Mishra, "A CPW fed planar monopole band notched UWB antenna with embedded split ring resonators," Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference, 645-647, 2009.
12. Zheng, Z.-A., Q.-X. Chu, and Z.-H. Tu, "Compact band-rejected ultra wideband slot antennas inserting with λ/2 and λ/4 resonator," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 2, Feb. 2011.
13. Ahmed, O. M. H. and A. R. Sebak, "A novel maple-leaf shaped UWB antenna with a 5.0-6.0 GHz band-notch characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 11, 39-49, 2009.
14. Chiu, C.-W. and C.-S. Li, "A CPW fed band-notched slot antenna for UWB application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 6, Jun. 2009.
15. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "A compact band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with parasitic elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 129-138, 2011.
16. Kalteh, A. A., G. R. Dadash Zadeh, M. Naser-Moghadasi, and B. S. Virdee, "Ultra-wideband circular slot antenna with reconfigurable notch band function," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Mar. 12, 2011.
17. Li, C. M. and L. H. Ye, "Improved dual band-notched UWB slot antenna with controllable notched band-widths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 477-493, 2011.
18. Jangid, S. and M. Kumar, "Compact planar UWB patch antenna with integrated bandpass filter and band notched characteristics," IEEE International Conference on Communication Systems and Network Technologies, 2012.
19. Addition, P. S., Fractals and Chaos, 24-40, Institute of Physic Publishing, Wholly, London, 1997.
20. Werner, D. H. and S. Ganguly, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 1, 2003.
21. Lagarias, J. C., C. L. Mallows, and A. Wilks, "Beyond the Descartes circle theorem," Amer. Math., Vol. 109, 338-361, 2002.
22. Liu, J. C., D. C. Chang, D. Soong, C. H. Chen, C. Y. Wu, and L. Yao, "Circular fractal antenna approaches with Descartes circle theorem for multiband/wideband applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, No. 5, 405-408, Mar. 2005.
23. Naeem Khan, S., J. Hu, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Circular fractal monopole antenna based on Descartes circle theorem for UWB application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 6, 1605-1608, Mar. 2008.
24. Flaconer, K., Fractal Geometry-mathematical Foundations and Applications, 1-155, John Wiley and Sons Ltd, England, 1990.
26. Saleem, R. and A. K. Brown, "Empirical miniaturization analysis of inverse parabolic step sequence based UWB antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 369-381, 2011.
27. Karmakar, A., S. Verma, M. Pal, and R. Ghatak, "An ultra wide band monopole antenna with multiple fractal slots with dual band rejection characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 31, 185-197, 2012.
28. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M., "Novel wideband planar fractal monopole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3844-3849, Dec. 2008.
29. Begaud, X., Ultra Wideband Antennas, John Wiley and Sons, New Jersey, 2011.