Metamaterials left-hand negative refractive index has remarkable optical properties; this paper presents the results obtained from the study of a flat metamaterial lens. Particular interest is given to the interaction of electromagnetic waves with metamaterials in the structure of the lens Pendry. Using the new approach of the Wave Concept Iterative Process (WCIP) based on the auxiliary sources helps to visualize the behavior of the electric field in the metamaterial band and outside of its interfaces. The simulation results show an amplification of evanescent waves in the metamaterials with an index of n = -1, which corresponds to a resonance phenomenon to which the attenuation solution is canceled, leaving only the actual growth of these waves. This amplification permits the reconstruction of the image of the source with a higher resolution.
1. Veselago, V., "Electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative electrical and magnetic permeabilities," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
2. Pendry, J., A. Holden, W. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 76, No. 25, 4773-4776, 1996. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.76.4773
3. Pendry, J., A. Holden, D. Robbins, and W. Stewart, "Low frequency plasmons in thin-wire structures," Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, Vol. 10, 4785, 1998. doi:10.1088/0953-8984/10/22/007
4. Pendry, J., A. Holden, D. Robbins, and W. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
5. Belov, P. A., C. R. Simovski, and P. Ikonen, "Canalization of subwavelength images by electromagnetic crystals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 71, 193105, May 2005. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.71.193105
6. Belov, P. A. and M. G. Silveirinha, "Resolution of subwavelength transmission devices formed by a wire medium," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 73, 056607, May 2006. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.73.056607
7. Simovski, C. R., A. J. Viitanen, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Resonator mode in chains of silver spheres and its possible application," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 72, 066606, Dec. 2005. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.72.066606
8. Salandrino, A. and N. Engheta, "Far-field subdiffraction optical microscopy using metamaterial crystals: Theory and simulations," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 74, 075103, Aug. 2006. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.74.075103
9. Jacob, Z., L. V. Alekseyev, and E. Narimanov, "Optical hyperlens: Far-field imaging beyond the diffraction limit," Optics Express, Vol. 14, No. 18, 8247-8256, 2006. doi:10.1364/OE.14.008247
10. Liu, Z., H. Lee, Y. Xiong, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, "Far-field optical hyperlens magnifying sub diffraction-limited objects," Science, Vol. 315, 1686, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1126/science.1137368
11. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of E and p," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, Jan. 1967. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
13. Anantha Ramakrishna, S., et al., "Plasmonic interaction of visible light with gold nanoscale checkerboards," Physical Review B, Vol. 84, 245424, 2011. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.84.245424
14. Iyer, G. V. Eleftheriades, "Negative refractive index metamaterials supporting 2-D waves," IEEE MZ7’-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 1067-1070, Seattle, WA, Jun. 2–7, 2002.
15. Naoui, S., L. Latrach, and A. Gharsallah, "Metamaterials dipole antenna by using split ring resonators for RFID technology," Wiley Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, 2899-2903, 2014, DOI 10.1002/mop.28731. doi:10.1002/mop.28731
16. Guenneau, S. and B. Gralak, "Une optique classique sens dessus dessous," Les Dossiers De La Recherche, Vol. 38, 32, 2010.
17. Liu, Z., H. Lee, Y. Xiong, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, "Far-field optical hyperlens magnifying subdiffraction- limited objects," Science, Vol. 315, 1686, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1126/science.1137368
19. Azizi, M. K., L. Latrach, N. Raveu, A. Gharsallah, and H. Baudrand, "A new apporoach of almost periodic lumped elements circuits by an iterative method using auxiliary sources," American Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 10, No. 11, 1457-1472, 2013, ISSN: 1546-9239. doi:10.3844/ajassp.2013.1457.1472
20. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, Nov. 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
21. Iyer, A. K. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Negative refractive index metamaterials supporting 2-D waves," IEEE MZ7’-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 1067-1070, Seattle, WA, Jun. 2–7, 2002.
23. Iyer, A. K., P. C. Kremer, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Experimental and theoretical verification of focusing in a large, periodically loaded transmission line negative refractive index metamaterial," Opt. Express, Vol. 11, 696-708, Apr. 2003. doi:10.1364/OE.11.000696
24. Iyer, A. K., A. Grbic, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Sub-wavelength focusing in loaded transmission line negative refractive index metamaterials," IEEE MTTS International Microwave Symposium Digest, 199-202, Philadelphia, PA, Jun. 8–13, 2003.
25. Azizi, M. K., H. Baudrand, T. Elbellili, and A. Gharsallah, "Almost periodic lumped elements structure modeling using iterative method: Application to photonic jets and planar lenses," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 55, 121-132, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM16121906