In this paper linear and nonlinear properties of graphene at millimeter wave frequency band are investigated. The nonlinear properties of the graphene are utilized to design frequency multiplier and mixer for millimeter wave applications. A patch of graphene is deposited on the dielectric image guide that will generate higher order harmonics. The amplitude of harmonics is optimized based on the dimensions of the graphene patch on top of the dielectric image guide. A frequency multiplier and mixer are designed, which utilize the second harmonics generated through graphene. The nonlinear behavior of the proposed designs has been simulated in the 50-75 GHz input signal frequency range. A conversion efficiency of -23 dB is obtained for the second harmonic for the frequency doubler. The frequency mixer is designed to mix two frequencies in V-band using dielectric image guide as the waveguide. A -28 dB conversion efficiency is simulated on a dielectric image-guide platform.
1. Bontu, C. S., D. D. Falconer, and L. Strawczynski, "Simple equalization scheme for high rate FSK data transmission in the millimeter wave frequency band," Sixth IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, 1995, PIMRC'95, Wireless: Merging onto the Information Superhighway, Vol. 1, IEEE, 1995.
2. Bontu, C. S., D. D. Falconer, and L. Strawczynski, "Feasibility evaluation of high rate FSK data transmission and equalization for millimeter wave indoor radio," 1996 5th IEEE International Conference on Universal Personal Communications, 1996, Record, Vol. 2, IEEE, 1996.
3. Wei, X., et al., "A wide band millimeter-wave substrate integrated coaxial line (SICL) for high speed data transmission," 2015 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Vol. 3, IEEE, 2015.
4. Kemp, M. C., A. Glauser, C, and Baker, "Recent developments in people screening using terahertz technology: Seeing the world through terahertz eyes," Defense and Security Symposium, International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2006.
5. Vaseashta, A., "New THz technologies and applications in applications in support of safety and security," THz and Security Applications, 277-292, Springer, Netherlands, 2014.
6. Cooper, K. B., et al., "Penetrating 3-D imaging at 4-and 25-m range using a submillimeter-wave radar," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 12, 2771-2778, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2007081
7. Fakharzadeh, M., M. Nezhad-Ahmadi, B. Biglarbegian, J. Ahmadi-Shokouh, and S. Safavi-Naeini, "CMOS phased array transceiver technology for 60 GHz wireless applications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 4, 1093-1104, Apr. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2041140
8. Basha, M. A., et al., "Novel D-band Si-based integrated platform for millimeter wave," 2014 44th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), IEEE, 2014.
9. Basha, M. A., A. Samir, and R. H. Zaghloul, "Evolution of DIG integrated platform for millimeter-wave applications," 2015 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), IEEE, 2015.
10. Glazov, M. M. and S. D. Ganichev, "High frequency electric field induced nonlinear effects in graphene," Physics Reports, Vol. 535, No. 3, 101-138, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.physrep.2013.10.003
11. Mikhailov, S. A., "Non-linear graphene optics for terahertz applications," Microelectronics J., Vol. 40, No. 4-5, 712-715, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.mejo.2008.11.042
12. Ishikawa, K. L., "Nonlinear optical response of graphene in time domain," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 82, No. 20, 201402, Nov. 2010. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.82.201402
13. Hadarig, A. I., et al., "Experimental analysis of the high-order harmonic components generation in few-layer graphene," Applied Physics A, Vol. 118, No. 1, 83-89, 2015. doi:10.1007/s00339-014-8739-y
14. Amir, F., C. Mitchell, and M. Missous, "Development of advanced Gunn diodes and Schottky multipliers for high power THz sources," 2010 8th International Conference on Advanced Semiconductor Devices & Microsystems (ASDAM), IEEE, 2010.
15. Ward, J. and et al, "Capability of THz sources based on Schottky diode frequency multiplier chains," 2004 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, IEEE, 2004.
16. Feng, Z. H., et al., "High-frequency multiplier based on GaN planar Schottky barrier diodes," 2016 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Advanced Materials and Processes for RF and THz Applications (IMWS-AM, IEEE, 2016.
17. Hanson, G. W., "Dyadic Green's functions and guided surface waves for a surface conductivity model of graphene," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 103, No. 6, 064302, 2008. doi:10.1063/1.2891452
18. Niu, J., M. Luo, and Q. H. Liu, "Full-wave nonlinear optical analyses of graphene-based optoelectronic devices," 2015 USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting (Joint with AP-S Symposium), IEEE, 2015.
19. Hotopan, G. R., S. Ver-Hoeye, C. Vazquez-Antuna, R. Camblor-Diaz, M. Fernandez-Garcia, F. Las Heras Andres, P. Alvarez, and R. Menendez, "Millimeter wave microstrip mixer based on graphene," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 57-69, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11051709
20. Yang, K., S. Arezoomandan, and B. Sensale-Rodriguez, "The linear and nonlinear THz properties of graphene," International Journal of Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 6, No. 4, 223-233, 2013.
22. Graphenea LTD, "MikeletegiPasealekua,", 83, 20009 Donostia, Gipuzkoa, Spain.
23. Zhao, W., M. Fang, F. Wu, H. Wu, L. Wang, and G. Chen, "Preparation of graphene by exfoliation of graphite using wet ball milling," J. Mater. Chem., Vol. 20, No. 28, 5817, 2010. doi:10.1039/c0jm01354d
24. Takatoshi, Y., K. Jaeho, I. Masatou, and H. Masataka, "Low-temperature graphene synthesis using microwave plasma CVD," J. Phys. D. Appl. Phys., Vol. 46, No. 6, 63001, 2013. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/46/6/063001
25. Falcao-Filho, E. L., et al., "Analytic scaling analysis of high harmonic generation conversion efficiency," Optics Express, Vol. 17, No. 13, 11217-11229, 2009. doi:10.1364/OE.17.011217