In this paper, the analysis and design of a compact Multiple Split Ring Resonator (MSRR) inspired microstrip rectangular patch antenna is presented. The MSRR is used with four rings. The size of the antenna is 25 × 31 × 1.6 mm3 realized on a low cost FR4 substrate. The proposed rectangular microstrip patch antenna operates at the resonant frequency of 5.88 GHz prior to MSRR inclusion. The antenna characteristics are studied before and after inclusion of metamaterial. After including MSRRs at appropriate places, the proposed MSRR antenna induces a new resonant frequency of 2.78 GHz. In addition to rectangular patch's fundamental resonance, the additional resonance is obtained at 2.78 GHz, thus, exhibits dual bands. Hence, MSRR loading antenna attains a bandwidth of 197 MHz at 2.78 GHz and 703 MHz at 5.88 GHz. The prototype of the proposed antenna is fabricated and measured. Simulated results are verified with the measured ones. This proposed antenna can be effectively utilized for WLAN and RF-ID applications. Parametric studies are illustrated to yield the desired frequency bands. Equivalent circuit model analysis of the MSRR loading is determined. Band characteristics of split ring structure are used to determine the negative permeability characteristics.
Nambiyappan Thamil Selvi,
Palavesa Nadar Thiruvalar Selvan,
"An Inset-Fed Rectangular Microstrip Patch Antenna with Multiple Split Ring Resonator Loading for WLAN and RF-ID Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 81, 41-52, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC17110102
1. Si, L. M., W. Zhu, and H. J. Sun, "A compact, planar, and CPW-fed metamaterial-inspired dual-band antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation. Letters, Vol. 12, 305-308, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2249037
2. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Sov. Phys. Usp, Vol. 10, 509-14, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
3. Christophe, C. and I. Tatsuo, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley-IEEE Press, New York, 2005.
4. Marques, R., F. Martina, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameters: Theory, Design and Microwave Applications, Wiley-Inter Science, 2007. doi:10.1002/9780470191736
5. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetismfrom conductors and enhanced nolinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory Technology, Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
6. Smith, D. R., D. C. Viker, N. Kroll, and S. Schultz, "Direct calculation of permeability and permittivity for a left-handed metamaterial," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 77, 2246-2248, 2000. doi:10.1063/1.1314884
7. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Physics Review Letters, Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.84.4184
8. Bilotti, F., A. Toscano, L. Vegni, K. Aydin, K. B. Alice, and E. Ozbay, "Equivalent circuit models for the design of metamaterials based on artificial magnetic inclusions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory Technology, Vol. 55, 2865-2872, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.909611
10. Si, L.-M., H.-J. Sun, Y. Yuan, and X. Lv, "CPW-fed compact planar UWB antenna with circular disc and spiral split ring resonators," PIERS Proceedings, 502-505, Beijing, China, March 23-27, 2009.
11. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "Broadband monopole antenna with split ring resonator loaded substrate for good impedance matching," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, 2388-2392, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28602
12. Ji, J. K., G. H. Kim, and W. M. Seong, "Bandwidth enhancement of metamaterial antennas based on composite right/left handed transmission line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 36-39, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2041628
13. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "Microstrip antenna with complementary split ring resonator loaded ground plane for gain enhancement," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 292-296, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.28835
14. Joshi, J. G., S. S. Pattnaik, S. Devi, and M. R. Lohokare, "Frequency switching of electrically small patch antenna using metamaterial loading," Indian Journal of Radio & Space Physics, Vol. 40, 159-165, June 2011.
15. Basaran, S. C. and K. Sertel, "Multiband monopole antenna with complementary split ring resonators for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Electron Letters, Vol. 49, No. 10, 636-638, 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2013.0357
16. Liu, H.-W., C.-H. Ku, and C.-F. Yang, "Novel CPW-fed planar monopole antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation. Letters, Vol. 9, 240-243, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2044860
17. Yang, K., H. Wang, Z. Lei, Y. Xie, and H. Lai, "CPW-fed slot antenna with triangular SRR terminated feed line for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, 685-686, 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2011.1232
18. Quan, X. L., R. L. Li, Y. H. Cui, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Analysis and design of a compact dual-band directional antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 547-550, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2199458
19. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "A CPW-fed triple band OCSRR embedded monopole antenna with modified ground for WLAN and Wi-Max applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 2413-2418, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29352
20. Sharma, S. K. and R. K. Chaudhary, "Dual-band metamaterial-inspired antenna for Mobile applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 1444-1447, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29113
21. Rajeshkumar, V. and S. Raghavan, "A compact asymmetric monopole antenna with electrically coupled SRR for WiMAX/WLAN/UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 2194-2197, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29298
22. Imaculate Rosaline, S. and S. Raghavan, "A compact dual band antenna with an ENG SRR cover for SAR reduction," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 741-747, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.28941
23. Rajeshkumar, V. and S. Raghavan, "Trapezoidal ring quad-band fractal antenna for WLAN/WIMAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, 2545-2548, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28631
24. Kaur, J. and R. Khanna, "Development of dual-band microstrip patch antenna for WLAN/MIMO/WIMAX/ AMSAT/WAVE applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, 988-993, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28206
25. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "Broadband monopole antenna with split ring resonator loaded substrate for good impedance matching," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, 2388-2392, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28602
26. Balanis, C. A., Modern Antenna Handbook, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2005.
27. Matin, M. A. and A. I. Sayeed, "A design rule for inset-fed rectangular microstrip patch antenna," WSEAS Transactions on Communications, Vol. 9, No. 1, 2010.
28. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of negative permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Review B, Vol. 65, 195104-195109, 2002. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.65.195104
29. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 5514, 77-79, 2001. doi:10.1126/science.1058847
30. Chen, H., J. Zhang, Y. Bai, Y. Luo, L. Ran, Q. Jiang, and J. A. Kong, "Experimental retrieval of the effective parameters of metamaterials based on a waveguide method," Optical Express, Vol. 14, 12944-12949, 2006. doi:10.1364/OE.14.012944