In this paper, a folded slot active tag antenna for 5.8 GHz radio frequency identification (RFID) applications is presented. It consists of an inverted U-shaped monopole radiator fed by a coplanar waveguide (CPW) feed line and extended ground planes. A 10 dB return loss bandwidth of 5.65-6.55 GHz is achieved. The overall volume of the presented antenna is 10.7×11×1.6 mm3. A good agreement between the simulated and measured results is observed. The antenna has an omnidirectional radiation pattern at 5.8 GHz frequency which makes it suitable for RFID applications. It has advantages of compact dimensions and wider bandwidth than previously reported structures.
Amit Kumar Singh,
"Folded-Slot Active Tag Antenna for 5.8 GHz
RFID Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 82, 89-97, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18010919
1. Chawla, V. and D. S. Ha, "An overview of passive RFID," IEEE Communication Magazine, Vol. 45, 11-17, September 2007. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2007.4342873
2. Hirvonen, M., K. Jaakkola, P. Pursula, and J. Saily, "Dual-band platform tolerant antennas for radio-frequency identification," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 9, 2632-2637, September 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.880726
3. Hamani, A., M. C. E. Yagoub, T. P. Vuong, and R. Touhami, "A novel broadband antenna design for UHF RFID tags on metallic surface environments," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 91-94, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2557778
4. Marrocco, G., "The art of UHF RFID antenna design: Impedance-matching and size-reduction techniques," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 50, 66-79, 2008. doi:10.1109/MAP.2008.4494504
5. Marrocco, G., "Gain-optimized self-resonant meander line antennas for RFID applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 302-305, 2003. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2003.822198
6. Hirvonenen, M., P. Pursula, K. Jaakkola, and K. Laukkanen, "Planar inverted-F antenna for radio frequency identification," Electronics Letter, Vol. 40, No. 14, 848-850, July 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20045156
7. Jeon, S., Y. Yu, and J. Choi, "Dual-band slot-coupled dipole antenna for 900 MHz and 2.45 GHz RFID tag application," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 22, October 2006.
8. Kamalvand, P., G. K. Pandey, and M. K. Meshram, "RFID tag antenna for ultra and super high frequency band applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, Vol. 26, No. 7, 640-650, September 2016. doi:10.1002/mmce.21012
9. Chen, H. D., C. H. Tsai, C. Y. D. Sim, and C. Y. Kuo, "Circular polarized loop tag antenna for long reading range RFID applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 12, 1460-1463, November 2013.
10. Nguyen, D. L., K. S. Paulson, and N. G. Riley, "Reduced size circular polarized square microstrip antenna for 2.45 GHz RFID applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 1, 94-99, 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2011.0269
11. Shi, Y., K. Qi, and C. H. Liang, "A miniaturized design of 2.45 GHz RFID tag antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 1905-1908, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29223
12. Shi, Y., C. Fang, K. Qi, and C. H. Liang, "A broadband design of UHF fractal RFID tag antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 58, 45-51, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL15100406
13. Pazin, L., A. Dyskin, and Y. Leviatan, "Quasi-isotropic X-band inverted-F antenna for active RFID tags," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 8, 27-29, April 2009.
14. Fang, Z., R. Jin, and J. Geng, "Asymmetric dipole antenna suitable for active RFID tags," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 2, 937-939, January 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20082935
15. Malek, M. A., S. Hakimi, S. K. A. Rahim, and A. K. Evizal, "Dual-band CPW-fed transparent antenna for active RFID tags," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 14, 919-922, April 2015.
16. Chang, L., H. Wang, Z. Zhang, Y. Li, and Z. Feng, "Compact single-feed dual-mode antenna for active RFID tag applications," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 11, 5190-5194, November 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2477417
17. Chang, L., H. Wang, Z. Zhang, Y. Li, and Z. Feng, "A dual-environment active RFID tag antenna mountable on metallic objects," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 15, 1759-1762, November 2016.
18. Liu, W. C. and Z. K. Hu, "Broadband CPW-fed folded-slot monopole antenna for 5.8 GHz RFID application," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 7, 937-939, August 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20052222
19. Liu, W. C. and C. M. Wu, "CPW-fed shorted F-shaped monopole antenna for 5.8-GHz RFID applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 3, 573-575, March 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21410
20. Liu, W. C., "A coplanar waveguide-fed folded-slot monopole antenna for 5.8 GHz radio frequency identification application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 1, 71-74, January 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22051
21. Chen, S. Y. and P. Hsu, "CPW-fed folded-slot antenna for 5.8 GHz RFID tags," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, 1516-1517, November 2004.
22. Liu, W. C. and P. C. Kao, "Compact CPW-fed dual folded-strip monopole antenna for 5.8-GHz RFID application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 6, 1614-1615, August 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21686
23. Ma, D. and W. X. Zhang, "Broadband CPW-fed RFID antenna at 5.8 GHz," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 22, 1516-1517, October 2006.
24. Zhang, M. T., Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "Dual-band CPW-fed folded-slot monopole antenna for RFID application," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 21, October 2006.
25. Bhaskar, S., S. Singhal, and A. K. Singh, "CPW-fed inverted U-shaped folded-slot monopole antenna for RFID applications," National Conference on Recent Advancement in Communication Engineering and Microelectronics (RACEM), MMMUT Gorakhpur, India, March 9-10, 2016.
26. Ansoft Corporation, HFSS, High frequency structure simulator version 11, , Finite element package, Ansoft Corporation, Available at: http://www.ansoft.com.