Aircraft collision avoidance system is an airborne system which is designed to provide the service as a last defense equipment for avoiding mid-air collisions between aircraft. End-fired antenna is suitable to be used in such airborne systems where low aerodynamic drag is urgently required. An effort to develop such an antenna using dipole elements is presented in this paper. Here a unit element planar folded dipole antenna is presented which radiates in the end-fire direction. Split ring resonators inspired artificial materials are incorporated in the design to improve the directivity performance of the proposed antenna, and those materials are loaded in the same plane of the primary dipole radiator. Here suppression of surface wave in the antenna takes place, which results in gain enhancement and also reduction of side lobes which make radiation pattern better. All these proposed antennas are designed and simulated in CST Microwave Studio (MWS) EM tool which is based on time domain solver. The performance and other antenna characteristics have been explored from the simulation results followed by the antenna fabrication and measurement. Quite good agreement is achieved between the simulated and measured results. Much better performance characteristics make this proposed antenna a good candidate for this application.
Prasanna Kumar Sahu,
"Design and Development of a Unit Element Planar Folded Dipole End-Fired Antenna for Aircraft Collision Avoidance System," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 82, 171-183, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18011207
1. Ammann, M. J. and Z. N. Chen, "Wideband monopole antennas for multi-band wireless systems," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 2, 146-150, 2003. doi:10.1109/MAP.2003.1203133
2. Booker, H. G., "Slot aerials and their relation to complementary wire aerials (Babinets principle)," Journal of the Institution of Electrical Engineers. Part IIIA: Radiolocation, Vol. 93, No. 4, 620-626, 1946. doi:10.1049/ji-3a-1.1946.0150
3. Wong, K. L. and W. H. Hsu, "A broad-band rectangular patch antenna with a pair of wide slits," IIEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 9, 1345-1347, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.951507
4. DeJean, G. R., T. T. Thai, S. Nikolaou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Design and analysis of microstrip bi-Yagi and quad-Yagi antenna arrays for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 244-248, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.893104
5. Ehrenspeck, H., "The double-helix antenna and its variants, a new class of tunable endfire antennas ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 2, 203-208, 1965. doi:10.1109/TAP.1965.1138408
6. Pazin, L. and Y. Leviatan, "A compact 60-GHz tapered slot antenna printed on LCP substrate for WPAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 272-275, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2046612
7. Zheng, G., A. A. Kishk, A. B. Yakovlev, and A.W. Glisson, "Simplified feed for amodified printed Yagi antenna," IEEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 8, 464-465, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20040348
8. Zheng, G., A. A. Kishk, A. B. Yakovlev, and A. W. Glisson, "A broad band printed bow-tie antenna with a simplified feed," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 4024-4027, 2004.
9. Deal, W. R., N. Kaneda, J. Sor, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A new quasi-Yagi antenna for planar active antenna arrays," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 6, 910-918, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.846717
10. Leong, K. M. K. H., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "Surface wave enhanced broadband planar antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 6, 62-64, 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.914303
11. Zhou, B. and T. J. Cui, "Directivity enhancement to vivaldi antennas using compactly anisotropic zero-index metamaterials ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 326-329, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2142170
12. Sun, M., Z. N. Chen, and X. Qing, "Gain enhancement of 60-GHz antipodal tapered slot antenna using zero-index metamaterial," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 4, 1741-1746, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2237154
13. Chen, L., Z. Lei, R. Yang, J. Fan, and X. Shi, "A broadband artificial material for gain enhancement of antipodal tapered slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 1, 395-400, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2365044
14. Henely, S., The Avionics Hand Book, 18-TCAS II, Rockwell Collins, Cedar Rapids, 2001.
16. Smith, D., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. Soukoulis, "Determination of effective permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Physics Review B, Vol. 65, No. 19, 195104, 2002. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.65.195104