The purpose of this paper is to examine whether a generalised range-based sliding window detector provides any improved detection performance relative to a single order statistic based counterpart. This is for non-coherent target detection in an X-band maritime surveillance radar environment, and as such the intensity clutter is modelled by a Pareto distribution. It will be demonstrated mathematically that a single order statistic detector is in fact sucient. Some numerical examples are also provided to clarify the theoretical results.
Graham V. Weinberg,
"An Investigation of the Generalised Range-Based Detector in Pareto Distributed Clutter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 85, 1-8, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18042601
1. Finn, H. M. and R. S. Johnson, "Adaptive detection model with threshold control as a function of spatially sampled clutter-level estimates," RCA Review, Vol. 29, 414-464, 1968.
2. Nitzberg, R., "Low-loss almost constant false-alarm rate processors," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 15, 719-723, 1979. doi:10.1109/TAES.1979.308861
3. Gregers Hanson, V. and J. H. Sawyers, "Detectability loss due to greatest of selection in a cell-averaging CFAR," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 16, 115-118, 1980. doi:10.1109/TAES.1980.308885
4. Weiss, M., "Analysis of some modified cell-averaging CFAR processers in multiple-target situations," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 18, 102-114, 1982. doi:10.1109/TAES.1982.309210
5. Gandhi, P. P. and S. A. Kassam, "Analysis of CFAR processors in nonhomogeneous background," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 24, 427-445, 1988. doi:10.1109/7.7185
6. Minkler, G. and J. Minkler, CFAR: The Principles of Automatic Radar Detection in Clutter, Magellan, Baltimore, 1990.
7. Qin, X., S. Zhou, H. Zou, and G. Gao, "A CFAR detection algorithm for generalized Gamma distributed background in high-resolution SAR images," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 10, 806-810, 2013. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2012.2224317
8. Zhang, R., W. Sheng, and X. Ma, "Improved switching CFAR detector for non-homogeneous environments," Signal Processing, Vol. 93, 35-48, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2012.06.015
9. Weinberg, G. V., "Management of interference in Pareto CFAR processes using adaptive test cell analysis," Signal Processing, Vol. 104, 264-273, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2014.04.025
10. Zaimbashi, A., "An adaptive cell averaging-based CFAR detector for interfering targets and clutter-edge situations," Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 31, 59-68, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.dsp.2014.04.005
11. Baadeche, M. and F. Soltani, "Performance analysis of ordered CFAR detectors for MIMO radars," Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 44, 47-57, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.dsp.2015.05.010
12. Dai, H., L. Du, Y. Wang, and Z. Wang, "A modified CFAR algorithm based on object proposals for ship target detection in SAR images," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 13, 1925-1929, 2016. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2016.2618604
13. Kong, L., B. Wang, G. Cui, and X. Yang, "Performance prediction of OS-CFAR for generalized Swerling-Chi fluctuating targets," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 52, 492-500, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAES.2015.140967
14. Tao, D., A. P. Doulgeris, and C. Brekke, "A segmentation-based CFAR detection algorithm using truncated statistics," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 54, 2887-2898, 2016. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2015.2506822
15. Yu, W., Y. Wang, H. Liu, and J. He, "Superpixel-based CFAR target detection for high-resolution SAR images," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 13, 730-734, 2016. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2016.2540809
16. Bakry, E. M., "Heterogeneous performance analysis of the new model of CFAR detectors for partially-correlated χ2-targets," Journal of Systems Engineering and Electronics, Vol. 29, 1-17, 2018.
17. Zhao, W., J. Li, X. Yang, Q. Peng, and J. Wang, "Innovative CFAR detector with effective parameter estimation method for generalised Gamma distribution and iterative sliding window strategy," IET Image Processing, Vol. 12, 60-69, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-ipr.2017.0225
18. Ai, J., X. Yang, J. Song, Z. Dong, L. Jia, and F. Zhou, "An adaptively truncated clutter-statistics-based two-parameter CFAR detector in SAR imagery," IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 43, 267-279, 2018. doi:10.1109/JOE.2017.2768198
19. Lu, S., W. Yi, W. Liu, G. Cui, L. Kong, and X. Yang, "Data-dependent clustering-CFAR detector in heterogeneous environment," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 54, 476-485, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAES.2017.2740065
20. Balleri, A., A. Nehorai, and J. Wang, "Maximum likelihood estimation for compound-gaussian clutter with inverse-Gamma texture," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 43, 775-779, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAES.2007.4285370
21. Farshchian, M. and F. L. Posner, "The Pareto distribution for low grazing angle and high resolution X-band sea clutter," X-band sea clutter, 789-793, 2010.
22. Weinberg, G. V., "Assessing Pareto fit to high resolution high grazing angle sea clutter," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, 516-517, 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2011.0518
23. Weinberg, G. V., "Constant false alarm rate detectors for Pareto clutter models," IET Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 7, 153-163, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2011.0374
25. Weinberg, G. V., "Trimmed geometric mean order statistic CFAR detector for Pareto distributed clutter Signal," Image and Video Processing, 2018 (in press).
26. Levanon, N. and M. Shor, "Order statistics CFAR for Weibull background," IEE Proceedings F --- Radar and Signal Processing, Vol. 137, 157-162, 1990. doi:10.1049/ip-f-2.1990.0023
27. Weinberg, G. V., "Examination of classical detection schemes for targets in Pareto distributed clutter: Do classical CFAR detectors exist, as in the Gaussian case?," Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 26, 599-617, 2015. doi:10.1007/s11045-013-0275-y
28. Weinberg, G. V. and A. Alexopoulos, "Analysis of a dual order statistic constant false alarm rate detector," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 52, 2567-2574, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAES.2016.150508
29. Weinberg, G. V., "Assessing detector performance, with application to Pareto coherent multilook radar detection," IET Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 7, 401-412, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2012.0127