This paper presents a novel topology of a dual-rotor hybrid excitation motor (DRHEM), which combines outer permanent magnet synchronous motor (PMSM) and inner doubly salient electromagnetic motor (DSEM). The structure and combination criterion of the DRHEM are introduced and studied. A new type of intermediate stator structure has been adopted and fixed in the form of stator fasteners. The electromagnetic field of the motor is analyzed, and optimization methods are proposed for reducing the cogging torque and superimposing the back electromotive force. Furthermore, to verify the theoretical analysis, experimental tests are conducted, and the torque-speed and output power-speed characteristics are compared under various speeds conditions. The results verify the electromagnetic design well.
"Evaluation of a New Dual-Rotor Hybrid Excitation Brushless Motor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 86, 233-245, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18060101
1. Xu, Z. G., S. J. Xie, and P. Mao, "Analytical design of flux-switching hybrid excitation machine by a nonlinear magnetic circuit method," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 49, No. 6, 3002-3008, Jun. 2013. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2012.2236566
2. Zhang, Q., S. Huang, and G. D. Xie, "Design and experimental verification of hybrid excitation machine with isolated magnetic paths," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 25, No. 4, 993-1000, Jun. 2010. doi:10.1109/TEC.2010.2050322
3. Chen, Z. H., Y. P. Sun, and Y. G. Yan, "Static characteristics of a novel hybrid excitation doubly salient machine," International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems. IEEE, Jan. 2005.
4. Zhang, Z. R., J. Dai, and C. Dai, "Design considerations of a hybrid excitation synchronous machine with magnetic shunt rotor," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 49, No. 11, 5566-5573, May 2013. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2013.2262000
5. Fodorean, D., A. Djerdir, and L. A. Viorel, "A double excited synchronous machine for direct drive application design and prototype tests," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 22, No. 3, 656-665, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/TEC.2007.896279
6. Owen, R. L., Z. Q. Zhu, and G. W. Jewell, "Hybrid-excited flux-switching permanent-magnet machines with iron flux bridges," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 46, No. 6, 1726-1729, May 2010. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2010.2040591
7. Geng, W. W., Z. R. Zhang, and K. Jiang, "A new parallel hybrid excitation machine: permanent-magnet/variable-reluctance machine with bidirectional field-regulating capability," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electro., Vol. 62, No. 3, 1372-1381, Aug. 2014. doi:10.1109/TIE.2014.2348936
8. 8, Z. R., Y. Y. Tao, and Y. G. Yan, "Investigation of a new topology of hybrid excitation doubly salient brushless DC generator," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electro., Vol. 59, No. 6, 2550-2556, Jun. 2012. doi:10.1109/TIE.2011.2159957
9. Wang, Y. and Z. Deng, "Parallel hybrid excitation machines and their control schemes for DC generation system," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 6, No. 9, 669-680, Nov. 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-epa.2012.0041
10. Afinowi, I. A. A., Z. Q. Zhu, and Y. Guan, "Hybrid-excited doubly salient synchronous machine with permanent magnets between adjacent salient stator poles," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 51, No. 10, ID: 8107909, Oct. 2015.
11. Cao, R. W., C. Mi, and M. Cheng, "Quantitative comparison of flux-switching permanent-magnet motors with interior permanent magnet motor for EV, HEV, and PHEV applications," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 48, No. 8, 2374-2383, Mar. 2012. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2012.2190614
12. Zhu, S. S., C. Liu, and K. Wang, "Theoretical and experimental analyses of a hybrid excitation synchronous generator with integrated brushless excitation ," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 10, No. 4, 258-267, Apr. 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-epa.2015.0262
13. Fodorean, D., A. Djerdir, and L. A. Viorel, "A double excited synchronous machine for direct drive application --- Design and prototype tests," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 22, No. 3, 656-665, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/TEC.2007.896279
14. Nedjar, B., S. Hlioui, and Y. Amara, "A new parallel double excitation synchronous machine," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 47, No. 9, 2252-2260, Apr. 2011. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2134864
15. Jing, L. B., T. Zhang, Y. Lin, and J. Cheng, "Design, analysis, and realization of a magnetic force transmission PM brushless motor," IEEJ Trans. Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 5, 791-798, May 2018. doi:10.1002/tee.22631
16. Wang, Q. S., S. X. Niu, and Y. Lin, "Design optimization and comparative study of novel dual-PM excited machines," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 64, No. 12, 9924-9933, Dec. 2017. doi:10.1109/TIE.2017.2716869
17. Sheng, T. T. and S. X. Niu, "Design of doubly complementary stator-PM machine with high magnet utilization factor for low-cost applications," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 33, No. 2, 567-575, Jun. 2018. doi:10.1109/TEC.2017.2765465
18. Bianchi, N., M. Dai Pre, and Luigi, "Theory and design of fractional-slot PM machines," CLEUP, Padova, Italy, Sep. 2007.
19. Xu, Y., F. Wang, and K. Feng, "Analysis of inductance, permanent magnet EMF and slot torque ripple of dual-rotor permanent magnet machine," Transactions of China Electro-technical Society, Vol. 22, No. 9, 40-44, Sep. 2007.
20. Chen, Y., P. Pillay, and A. Khan, "PM wind generator comparison of different topologies," 39th IAS Annual Meeting, Conference Record of the 2004 IEEE, Vol. 3, 1405-1412, 2004.
21. Zhang, F. G., J. H. Chen, and G. W. Liu, "Influence of stator fastener for permanent magnet machine with anti-rotation dual rotors," Journal of Zhejiang University, Vol. 45, No. 5, 804-808, May 2011.