Cylindrical/ring-shaped permanent magnets with diametrical magnetization can be found in many applications, ranging from electrical motors to position sensory systems. In order to correctly calculate the magnetic field generated by a permanent magnet of this kind with low computational cost, several studies have been reported in literature providing analytical expressions. However, these analytical expressions are either limited for an infinite cylinder or for computing the magnetic field only on the central axis of a finite cylinder. The others are derived to calculate the magnetic field at any point in three-dimensional (3D) space but only with low accuracy. This paper presents an exact analytical model of the magnetic field, generated by a diametrically magnetized cylindrical/ring-shaped permanent magnet with a limited length, which can be used to calculate the magnetic field of any point in 3D space fast and with very high accuracy. The expressions were analytically derived, based on geometrical analysis without calculating the magnetic scalar potential. Also, there is no approximation in the derivation steps that yields the exact analytical model. Three components of the magnetic field are analytically represented using complete and incomplete elliptical integrals, which are robust and have low computational cost. The accuracy of the developed analytical model was validated using Finite Element Analysis and compared against existing models.
1. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, V. Lemarquand, and C. Depollier, "Permanent magnet couplings: Field and torque three-dimensional expressions based on the Coulombian model," IEEE Trans. on Magn., Vol. 45, No. 4, 1950-1958, Apr. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2008.2010623
2. Cuguat, O., J. Delamare, and G. Reyne, "Magnetic micro-actuators and systems (magmas)," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 39, No. 5, 3607-3612, Sep. 2003. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2003.816763
3. Wang, J., G. W. Jewell, and D. Howe, "Design optimisation and comparison of permanent magnet machines topologies," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng., Vol. 148, 456-464, 2001.
4. Charpentier, J. F. and G. Lemarquand, "Optimization of unconventional p.m. couplings," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 38, No. 2, 1093-1096, Mar. 2002. doi:10.1109/20.996280
5. Lemarquand, V., J. F. Charpentier, and G. Lemarquand, "Nonsinusoidal torque of permanent-magnet couplings," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 35, No. 5, 4200-4205, Sep. 1999. doi:10.1109/20.799068
6. Berkouk, M., V. Lemarquand, and G. Lemarquand, "Analytical calculation of ironless loudspeaker motors," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 37, No. 2, 1011-1014, Mar. 2001. doi:10.1109/20.917185
7. Kwon, O. M., C. Surussavadee, M. Chari, S. Salon, and K. Vasubramaniam, "Analysis of the far field of permanent magnet motors and effects of geometric asymmetries and unbalance in magnet design," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 40, No. 3, 435-442, May 2004. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2004.824117
8. Paperno, E., I. Sasada, and E. Leonovich, "A new method for magnetic position and orientation tracking," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 37, No. 4, 1938-1940, Jul. 2001. doi:10.1109/20.951014
9. Fountain, T. W. R., P. V. Kailat, and J. J. Abbott, "Wireless control of magnetic helical microrobots using a rotating-permanent-magnet manipulator," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., 576-581, 2010.
10. Wu, S.-T., J.-Y. Chen, and S.-H. Wu, "A rotary encoder with an eccentrically mounted ring magnet," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 63, No. 8, 1907-1915, Aug. 2014. doi:10.1109/TIM.2014.2302243
11. Ng, K., Z. Q. Zhu, and D. Howe, "Open-circuit field distribution in a brushless motor with diametrically magnetised PM rotor, accounting for slotting and eddy current effects," IEEE Trans. on Magn., Vol. 32, No. 5, 5070-5072, 1996. doi:10.1109/20.539493
12. Eid, G. and A. Mouillet, "Transistorized dc brushless micromotor with rare-earth permanent magnets," Proc. Int. Conf. on Electr. Mach., 570-573, 1984.
13. Jang, S. M., M. M. Koo, Y. S. Park, J. Y. Choi, and S. H. Lee, "Characteristic analysis on permanent magnet synchronous machines with three types of diametrically magnetized rotors under magnetic circuit construction conditions," Proc. IEEE Vehi. Power and Prop. Conf., 227-230, 2012.
14. Jang, S. M., J. Y. Choi, D. J. You, and H. S. Yang, "Electromagnetic analysis of high speed machines with diametrically magnetized rotor considering slotting effect and applied to new magnetization modelling," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Electr. Mach. and Driv., 1204-1211, 2005. doi:10.1109/IEMDC.2005.195875
15. Lemarquand, G. and V. Lemarquand, "Annular magnet position sensor," IEEE Trans. on Magn., Vol. 26, No. 5, 2041-2043, 1990. doi:10.1109/20.104612
16. Smirnov, Y., T. Kozina, E. Yurasova, and A. Sokolov, "Analog-to-Digital converters of the components of a displacement with the use of microelectronic sine-cosine magnetic encoders," Measurement Techniques, Vol. 57, 41-46, 2014. doi:10.1007/s11018-014-0404-5
17. Lenzo, B., M. Fontana, S. Marcheschi, F. Salsedo, A. Frisoli, and M. Bergamasco, "Trackhold: A novel passive arm-support device," ASME J. Mechan. and Robo., Vol. 8, 1-9, 2015.
18. Wang, S., J. Jin, T. Li, and G. Liu, "High-accuracy magnetic rotary encoder," System Simulation and Scientific Computing, 74-82, 2012. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-34381-0_9
19. Nguyen, V. T., T.-F. Lu, and P. Grimshaw, "Human intention recognition based on contact-less sensors to control an elbow and forearm assistive exoskeleton," Proc. Int. Conf. Asi. Soc. for Prec. Engin. and Nano. (ASPEN 2017), Nov. 2017.
20. Schaller, V., U. Kraling, C. Rusu, K. Petersson, J. Wipenmyr, A. Krozer, G. Wahnstrom, A. Sanz-Velasco, P. Enoksson, and C. Johansson, "Motion of nanometer sized magnetic particles in a magnetic field gradient," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 104, 093918, 2008. doi:10.1063/1.3009686
21. Warnke, K., "Finite-element modelling of the separation of magnetic microparticles in fluid," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 39, No. 3, 1771-1777, May 2003. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2003.810609
22. Caciagli, A., R. J. Baars, A. P. Philipse, and B. W. M. Kuipers, "Exact expression for the magnetic field of a finite cylinder with arbitrary uniform magnetization," J. Mag. and Mag. Mater., Vol. 456, 423-432, Jun. 2018. doi:10.1016/j.jmmm.2018.02.003
23. Robertson, W., B. Cazzolato, and A. Zander, "A simplified force equation for coaxial cylindrical magnets and thin coils," IEEE Trans. on Magn., Vol. 47, No. 8, 2045-2049, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2129524
24. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, V. Lemarquand, and C. Depollier, "Analytical calculation of the magnetic field created by permanent-magnet rings," IEEE Trans. on Magn., Vol. 44, No. 8, 1982-1989, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2008.923096
25. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, V. Lemarquand, and C. Depollier, "The three exact components of the magnetic field created by a radially magnetized tile permanent magnet," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 307-319, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08112708
26. Stratton, J., Electromagnetic Theory, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York and London, 1941.
27. Oberteuffer, J., "Magnetic separation: A review of principles, devices, and applications," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 10, No. 2, 223-238, 1974. doi:10.1109/TMAG.1974.1058315
28. Wysin, G., "Demagnetization fields,", available on https://www.phys.ksu.edu/personal/wysin/notes/demag.pdf.
29. Fontana, M., F. Salsedo, and M. Bergamasco, "Novel magnetic sensing approach with improved linearity," Sensors, No. 6, 7618-7632, 2013. doi:10.3390/s130607618
30. Furlani, E. P., Permanent Magnet and Electromechanical Devices: Materials, Analysis and Applications, Academic Press, 2001.
31. Rakotoarison, H. L., J. P. Yonnet, and B. Delinchant, "Using Coulombian approach for modeling scalar potential and magnetic field of a permanent magnet with radial polarization," IEEE Trans. on Magn., Vol. 43, No. 4, 1261-1264, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2007.892316
32. Ravaud, R. and G. Lemarquand, "Comparison of the Coulombian and Amperian current models for calculating the magnetic field produced by radially magnetized arc-shaped permanent magnets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 309-327, 2009.
33. Babic, S. I. and C. Akyel, "Improvement in the analytical calculation of the magnetic field produced by permanent magnet rings," Progress in Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 5, 71-82, 2008.
34. Ravau, R., G. Lemarquand, V. Lemarquand, and C. Depollier, "Magnetic field produced by a tile permanent magnet whose polarization is both uniform and tangential," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 1-20, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08121901
35. Ravaud, R. and G. Lemarquand, "Analytical expression of the magnetic field created by tile permanent magnets tangentially magnetized and radial currents in massive disks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 309-328, 2009.
36. Fukushima, T., "Precise, compact, and fast computation of complete elliptic integrals by piecewise minimax rational function approximation ," J. Comp. Appl. Math., Vol. 282, 71-76, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.cam.2014.12.038
37. Fukushima, T., "Fast computation of incomplete elliptic integral of first kind by half argument transformation," Numer. Math., Vol. 116, 687-719, 2010. doi:10.1007/s00211-010-0321-8
38. Fukushima, T., "Precise and fast computation of a general incomplete elliptic integral of second kind by half and double argument transformations," J. Comp. Appl. Math., Vol. 235, 4140-4148, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.cam.2011.03.004
39. Fukushima, T., "Precise and fast computation of a general incomplete elliptic integral of third kind by half and double argument transformations," J. Comput. Appl. Math., Vol. 236, 1961-1975, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.cam.2011.11.007