A coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed folded dipole with a 20% impedance bandwidth and 4-6 dBi endfire gain with stable patterns is proposed. Since the proposed element is electrically large (2.1λ x 2λ) conformal topology of this endfire radiator is designed and characterized. The input impedance is not altered significantly compared to the planar element. The radiation in the H plane indicates an increase in specific absorption rate when integrated with a typical mobile terminal. In order to mitigate this effect, a compact (0.8λ x 0.8λ) wideband reflector with periodic sinusoidal slots is proposed and mounted with the conformal element at an offset of 0.2λ from the radiator. The proposed antenna has an operating bandwidth from 24 to 30 GHz (20%) with an endfire gain of 6-7 dBi across the band. The front to back ratio is more than 12 dB across the band. Pattern diversity of the conformal antenna is also investigated. Simulated and measurement results are presented in detail.
Gulur Sadananda Karthikeya,
Mahesh Pandurang Abegaonkar,
Shiban Kishen Koul,
"CPW Fed Conformal Folded Dipole with Pattern Diversity for 5G Mobile Terminals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 87, 199-212, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18082902
1. Forecast, Cisco VNI, "Cisco visual networking index: Global mobile data traffic forecast update 2009-2014 ,", Cisco Public Information, February 9, 2010. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6736752
2. Wang, C.-X., et al. "Cellular architecture and key technologies for 5G wireless communication networks," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 2, 122-130, 2014. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6894454
3. Hong, W., K.-H. Baek, Y. Lee, Y. Kim, and S.-T. Ko, "Study and prototyping of practically large-scale mmWave antenna systems for 5G cellular devices," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 9, 63-69, 2014. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2013.2260813
4. Rappaport, T. S., S. Sun, R. Mayzus, H. Zhao, Y. Azar, K. Wang, G. N. Wong, J. K. Schulz, M. Samimi, and F. Gutierrez, "Millimeter wave mobile communications for 5G cellular: It will work!," IEEE Access, Vol. 1, 335-349, 2013. doi:10.1109/MWC.2016.1400374RP
5. Zhang, J., X. Ge, Q. Li, M. Guizani, and Y. Zhang, "5G millimeter-wave antenna array: Design and challenges," IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 24, No. 2, 106-112, 2017. doi:10.1109/MAP.2012.6309152
6. Rowell, C. and E. Y. Lam, "Mobile-phone antenna design," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 54, No. 4, 14-34, 2012. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2014.2352679
7. Haraz, O. M., A. Elboushi, S. A. Alshebeili, and A.-R. Sebak, "Dense dielectric patch array antenna with improved radiation characteristics using EBG ground structure and dielectric superstrate for future 5G cellular networks," IEEE Access, Vol. 2, 909-913, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2601900
8. Asaadi, M. and A. Sebak, "High-gain low-profile circularly polarized slotted SIW cavity antenna for MMW applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 752-755, 2017.
9. Jilani, S. F. and A. Alomainy, "Planar millimeter-wave antenna on low-cost flexible PET substrate for 5G applications," 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-3, IEEE, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2523514
10. Park, J.-S., J.-B. Ko, H.-K. Kwon, B.-S. Kang, B. Park, and D. Kim, "A tilted combined beam antenna for 5G communications using a 28-GHz band," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1685-1688, 2016. doi:10.1109/MAP.2014.7011015
11. Sarabandi, K., J. Oh, L. Pierce, K. Shivakumar, and S. Lingaiah, "Lightweight, conformal antennas for robotic flapping flyers," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 6, 29-40, 2014.
12. Agnihotri, N., G. S. Karthikeya, K. Veeramalai, A. Prasanna, and S. S. Siddiq, "Super wideband conformal antenna array on cylindrical surface," 2016 21st International Conference on Microwave, Radar and Wireless Communications (MIKON), 1-4, IEEE, 2016.
13. Semkin, V., F. Ferrero, A. Bisognin, J. Ala-Laurinaho, C. Luxey, F. Devillers, and A. V. Raisanen, "Beam switching conformal antenna array for mm-wave communications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 15-31, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2249037
14. Si, L.-M., W. Zhu, and H.-J. Sun, "A compact, planar, and CPW-fed metamaterial-inspired dual-band antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 305-308, 2013. doi:10.1109/APS.1995.530119
15. Raman, S. and G. M. Rebeiz, "94GHz slot-ring antennas for monopulse applications," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1995, AP-S, Digest, Vol. 1, 722-725, IEEE, 1995.
16. Zhai, G., Y. Cheng, Q. Yin, S. Zhu, and J. Gao, "Uniplanar millimeter-wave log-periodic dipole array antenna fed by coplanar waveguide," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, 2013.
17. Elsheakh, D. M. and M. F. Iskander, "Circularly polarized triband printed quasi-Yagi antenna for millimeter-wave applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2015, 2015. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1986.1133562
18. Jackson, R. W., "Considerations in the use of coplanar waveguide for millimeter-wave integrated circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 34, No. 12, 1450-1456, 1986.
19. Jilani, S. F., S. M. Abbas, K. P. Esselle, and A. Alomainy, "Millimeter-wave frequency reconfigurable T-shaped antenna for 5G networks," 2015 IEEE 11th International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob), 100-102, IEEE, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2574881
20. Dadgarpour, A., B. Zarghooni, B. S. Virdee, and T. A. Denidni, "Single end-fire antenna for dual-beam and broad beamwidth operation at 60 GHz by artificially modifying the permittivity of the antenna substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 9, 4068-4073, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.929506
21. Alhalabi, R. A. and G. M. Rebeiz, "High-efficiency angled-dipole antennas for millimeter-wave phased array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 10, 3136-3142, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2039320
22. Alhalabi, R. A. and G. M. Rebeiz, "Differentially-fed millimeter-wave Yagi-Uda antennas with Differentially-fed millimeter-wave Yagi-Uda antennas with," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 3, 966-969, 2010.