A classification algorithm is applied to UHF radio frequency identification (RFID) system to estimate the indoor position of a passive tag utilizing a received signal strength indicator (RSSI). Passive tag signals are collected by conventional UHF RFID reader antenna located at two different positions. K-NN and curve fitting are used for distance estimation and examined at different frequencies within the range 902-928 MHz to find suitable frequencies which can minimize the average error. In the proposed method, the measured RSSI values are compared with the fingerprint database in different frequencies to find the nearest neighbor. The best accuracy achieved at frequency range 926-928 MHz is 18.3 cm. The monitoring system is composed of a reader and tags under test, which makes the proposed system robust, easy to set up, and with low cost. The limitation of the proposed method is also discussed.
Gui Yun Tian,
"Indoor Localization Systems for Passive UHF RFID Tag Based on RSSI Radio Map Database," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 77, 51-60, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM18082904
1. Zhu, X. W., S. K. Mukhopadhyay, and H. Kurata, "A review of RFID technology and its managerial applications in different industries," J. Eng. Technol. Manag., Vol. 29, No. 1, 152-167, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.jengtecman.2011.09.011
2. Erguler, I., "A potential weakness in RFID-based Internet-of-things systems," Pervasive Mob. Comput., Vol. 20, 115-126, 2014.
3. Zhang, J., G. Y. Tian, A. Marindra, A. Sunny, and A. Zhao, "A review of passive RFID tag antenna-based sensors and systems for structural health monitoring applications," Sensors, Vol. 17, No. 2, 265, 2017. doi:10.3390/s17020265
4. Duroc, Y., G. A. Vera, and J. G. Martin, "Modified RSSI technique for the localization of passive UHF RFID tags in LOS channels," Int. J. Microw. Wirel. Technol., Vol. 5, No. 5, 645-651, 2013. doi:10.1017/S1759078713000573
5. Nikitin, V., R. Martinez, S. Ramamurthy, H. Leland, G. Spiess, and K. V. S. Rao, "Phase based spatial identification of UHF RFID tags," 2010 IEEE International Conference on RFID (IEEE RFID 2010), 102-109, 2010. doi:10.1109/RFID.2010.5467253
6. Särkkä, S. V. Viikari, S. Member, and M. Huusko, "Phase-based UHF RFID tracking with nonlinear Kalman filtering and smoothing," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 12, No. 5, 904-910, 2012. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2011.2164062
7. Mittra, R. and U. Pujare, "Real time estimation of motion and range of RFID tags," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 3804-3808, 2011.
8. Li, X., Y. Zhang, and M. G. Amin, "Multifrequency-based range estimation of RFID tags," 2009 IEEE International Conference on RFID, 147-154, 2009.
9. Whitney, A., J. Parker, M. Engelhard, Z. Kratzer, and J. Fessler, "RSSI informed phase method for distance calculations," 2015 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM), 1138-1142, 2015. doi:10.1109/AIM.2015.7222693
10. Ni, L. M., Y. Liu, Y. C. Lau, A. Patil, and E. Lansing, "LANDMARC: Indoor location sensing using active RFID," Proceedings of the First IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications, 2003, (PerCom 2003), Vol. 10, No. 6, 701-710, 2003.
11. Xiao, X., X. Jing, S. You, and J. Zeng, "An environmental-adaptive RSSI based indoor positioning approach using RFID," 2010 International Conference on Advanced Intelligence and Awareness Internet (AIAI 2010), No. 1, 127-130, 2010. doi:10.1049/cp.2010.0735
12. Saab, S. S. and Z. S. Nakad, "A standalone RFID indoor positioning system using passive tags," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1961-1970, 2011. doi:10.1109/TIE.2010.2055774
13. Decarli, N., F. Guidi, D. Dardari, and S. Member, "Passive UWB RFID for tag localization: Architectures and design,", Vol. 16, No. 5, 1385-1397, 2016.
14. Parlak, S. and I. Marsic, "Non-intrusive localization of passive RFID tagged objects in an indoor workplace," 2011 IEEE International Conference on RFID-Technologies and Applications, 181-187, 2011. doi:10.1109/RFID-TA.2011.6068635
15. Zhang, Z., Z. Lu, V. Saakian, X. Qin, Q. Chen, and L. R. Zheng, "Item-level indoor localization with passive UHF RFID based on tag interaction analysis," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 4, 2122-2135, 2014. doi:10.1109/TIE.2013.2264785
16. Shao, S. and R. J. Burkholder, "Item-level RFID tag location sensing utilizing reader antenna spatial diversity," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 13, No. 10, 3767-3774, 2013. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2013.2272216
17. Martinelli, F., "A robot localization system combining RSSI and phase shift in UHF-RFID signals," IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol., Vol. 23, No. 5, 1782-1796, 2015. doi:10.1109/TCST.2014.2386777
18. Scherhäufl, M., M. Pichler, and A. Stelzer, "UHF RFID localization based on evaluation of backscattered tag signals," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 64, No. 11, 2889-2899, 2015. doi:10.1109/TIM.2015.2440554
19. Zhao, Y., K. Liu, and Y. Ma, "Similarity analysis-based indoor localization algorithm with backscatter information of passive UHF RFID tags," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 17, No. 1, 185-193, 2017. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2016.2624314
20. Chen, X., L. Xie, C. Wang, and S. Lu, "Adaptive accurate indoor-localization using passive RFID," Proceedings of the International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems - ICPADS, 249-256, 2013.
21. Uhf, R. L. Using, J. S. Choi, H. Lee, D. W. Engels, and S. Member, "Passive UHF RFID-based localization using detection of tag interference on smart shelf," 268 IEEE Trans. Syst., Vol. 42, No. 2, 268-275, 2012.
23. Griffin, J. D. and G. D. Durgin, "Complete link budgets for backscatter-radio and RFID systems," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 51, No. 2, 11-25, 2009. doi:10.1109/MAP.2009.5162013
24. Zhao, Y., K. Liu, Y. Ma, and Z. Li, "An improved k-NN algorithm for localization in multipath environments," EURASIP J. Wirel. Commun. Netw., Vol. 2014, No. 1, 208, 2014. doi:10.1186/1687-1499-2014-208
25. Objects, I. and I. R. Power, "Propagation mechanisms," Wireless Communications, 2nd Edition, 2011.
26. Lyu, Y., J. Patton, S. C. G. Periaswamy, and T. Roppel, "BFVP: A probabilistic UHF RFID tag localization algorithm using Bayesian filter and a variable power RFID model," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 65, No. 10, 8250-8259, 2018. doi:10.1109/TIE.2018.2803720
27. Djuric, M. B. M. R. M., "Proximity detection with RFID: A step toward the internet of things," IEEE Pervasive Comput., Vol. 14, No. 2, 70-76, 2015. doi:10.1109/MPRV.2015.39