An Electric Ring Resonator (ERR) loaded Sierpinski Square Gasket Fractal (SSGF) antenna for multiple frequency band application is proposed, fabricated, and measured. The CPW-fed antenna consists of a Multi-mode Electric Ring Resonator (MERR) which is fixed on reverse side of the substrate and iterated Sierpinski gasket fractal derived from a square patch which is stamped on top of an FR4. Multi-bands can be obtained by placing a single multi-mode ERR beneath the CPW structure of the antenna. Each resonating frequency band can be easily tuned by properly changing the dimensions of the ERR structure. Instead of ERR's quasi-lumped capacitance, reconfigurability of the low, middle, and high frequency bands can be achieved by using a pair of Digital Variable Capacitors (DVCs)inserted into the middle of the ERR's rings corresponding to the chosen mode. The bandwidth is enhanced using four iterations of square radiating patch, modified feed line, and multi-mode electric ring resonator-loaded ground plane. More specifically, the impedance matching of the CPW fed antenna is improved by introducing transitions between the microstrip feed line and the Sierpinski square gasket. The numerical results show that the proposed antenna has good impedance bandwidth and radiation characteristics in the operating bands at 3.08/5.81/8.02/12.13/15.56\,GHz which cover the frequency spectrum of WiMAX, WiFi/WLAN(IEEE 802.11a), IEEE 802.16e, X-band uplink, S/C/X/Ku and K band with return loss of better than 10 dB.
1. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "On smoothening the singular field developed in the vicinity of metallic edges," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 31, No. 2, 67-77, 2009.
2. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., S. Saleekaw, P. Akkaraekthalin, and M. Krairiksh, "A rhombic patch monopole antenna with modified Minkowski fractal geometry for UMTS, WLAN, and mobile WiMAX," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 57-74, 2009.
3. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Closed-form solution to the scattering of a skew strip field by metallic PIN in a slab," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 1-21, 2008.
4. Gupta, M. and V. Mathur, "Koch fractal-based hexagonal patch antenna for circular polarization," Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences, Vol. 25, No. 6, 4474-4485, 2017.
5. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "On examining the influence of a thin dielectric strip posed across the diameter of a penetrable radiating cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 3, 203-214, 2008.
6. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Arbitrary currents on circular cylinder with inhomogeneous cladding and RCS optimization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,, Vol. 21, No. 5, 665-680, 2007.
7. Si, L.-M. and X. Lv, "CPW-FED multi-band Omni-directional planar microstrip antenna using composite metamaterial resonators for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 133-146, 2008.
8. Nguyen, D. T., H. L. Dong, and C. P. Hyun, "Small planar coplanar waveguide-fed dual bandnotched monopole ultra wideband antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 4, 920-924, 2011.
9. Yu, F. and C. Wang, "A CPW-fed novel planar ultra wideband antenna with a band notch characteristic," Radio Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 4, 551-555, 2009.
10. Evangelos, S. A., Z. A. Argiris, I. K. Dimitra, A. A. Antonis, L. Fotis, and D. Kostas, "Circular and elliptical CPW-fed slot and microstrip-fed antennas for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 294-297, 2006.
11. Poonkuzhali, R., Z. C. Alex, and T. N. Balakrishnan, "Miniaturized wearable fractal-antenna for military application at VHF-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 62, 179-190, 2016.
12. Gianvittorio, J. P., et al., "Fractal antennas: A novel antenna miniaturization technique and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 44, 20-36, 2002.
13. Azari, A., "A new super wideband fractal microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1724-1727, May 2011.
14. Puente, C., J. Romeu, R. Pous, and A. Cardama, "On the behavior of the Sierpinski multiband fractal antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 4, 517-524, 1998.
15. Beigi, P. and P. Mohammadi, "A novel small triple-band monopole antenna with crinkle fractalstructure," Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 70, 1382-1387, Elsevier AEU, 2016.
16. Baena, J. D., J. Bonache, F. Martin, R. M. Sillero, F. Falcone, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. Garcfa-Farcfa, I. Gil, M. F. Portillo, and M. Sorolla, "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 1451-1461, 2005.
17. Bilotti, F., A. Toscano, and L. Vegni, "Design of spiral and multiple split-ring resonators for the realization of miniaturized metamaterial samples," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 2258-2267, 2007.
18. Chang, D. C., B. H. Zeng, and J. C. Liu, "CPW-fed circular fractal slot antenna design for dualband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 3630-3636, 2008.
19. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, and D. R. Smith, "Electric-field-coupled resonators for negative permittivity metamaterials," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 88, No. 4, 041109-041109-3, 2006.
20. Withayachumnankul, W., C. Fumeaux, and D. Abbott, "Near-field interactions in electric inductive-capacitive resonators for metamaterials," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 45, No. 48, 485101, Nov. 2012.
21. Rusakov, A., I. Vendik, K. Kanjanasit, J. Hong, and D. Filonov, "Ultra wideband antenna with single- and dual-band notched characteristics based on electric ring resonator," Proc. Days on Diffraction, 350-355, St. Petersburg, Russia, Jun. 27–Jul. 1, 2016.
22. Sedghi, M. S., M. Naser-Moghadasi, and F. B. Zarraabi, "A dual band fractal slit antenna loaded by jerusalem crosses for wireless plus WiMAX communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 61, 19-24, 2016.
23. Gorlaa, H. R. and F. J. Haracki-ewicz, "A novel rectangular circle planar monopole ant for ultra wide-band application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 61, 65-73, 2016.
24. Joseph, S., B. Paul, S. Mridula, and P. Mohanan, "A novel Planar fractal antenna with CPW-feed for multiband applications," Radioengineering, Vol. 22, No. 4, 1262-1266, 2013.
25. Mishra, N. and R. K. Chaudhary, "A miniaturized ZOR antenna with enhanced bandwidth for WiMAX applications," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 1, 71-75, 2016.
26. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, Q. Peng, and J.-G. Liiang, "Novel design of triple-band band pass filter based on fractal shaped geometry of a complementary single split ring resonator," Int. J. Electr. Tay, Vol. 98, No. 5, 647-654, France, 2011.
27. Adel Abdelrehim, A. and H. G. Shirazz, "Performance improvement of patch antenna using circular split ring resonators and thin wires employing metamaterials lens," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 69, 137-155, 2016.
28. Saputro, S. A. and J.-Y. Chung, "Hilbert curve fractal antenna for dual on- and off-body communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 58, 81-88, 2016.
29. Elavarasi, C. and T. Shanmuganantham, "Parametric analysis of water lily shaped SRR loaded fractal monopole antenna for multiband application," WASET Int. J. Electr. Comp. Energetic Electro Comm. Eng., Vol. 10, No. 9, 2016.