In this work, a Complementary Folded Triangle Split Ring Resonator (CFTSRR) loaded triband mobile handset planar antenna is presented. The proposed antenna consists of a dumbbell-shaped radiating element and two CFTSRR metamaterial unit cells. The dumbbell-shaped radiating element resonates at 5 GHz. The presence of CFTSRRs additionally offers two lower band resonance. The CFTSRR-1 and CFTSRR-2 exhibit negative permittivity at 1.8 GHz and 2.4 GHz, respectively. The proposed antenna is designed to resonate at 1.8 GHz (GSM1800 MHz), 2.4 GHz, and 5 GHz (IEEE802.11ax) for voice and Wi-Fi applications of the mobile handset, respectively. The proposed antenna demonstrates compactness up to 88.6% at 1.8 GHz. The parametric studies are investigated to optimize the antenna in desired frequency bands by using Ansys HFSS19 software. The simulated and measured results are discussed. The measured result shows -10 dB reflection coefficient with bandwidth about 250 MHz (1.6 GHz-1.85 GHz), 50 MHz (2.375 GHz-2.425 GHz), and 225 MHz (4.925 GHz-5.15 GHz) which are 14.5%, 2%, and 5% respectively around their center frequencies. The measured maximum gain is approximately 1.7 dBi, 8 dBi, and 11.5 dBi for 1.8 GHz, 2.4 GHz, and 5 GHz, respectively.
1. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, 1st Edition, Wiley-IEEE Press, Hoboken, NJ, 2006, ISBN-10: 0471669857. doi:10.1002/0471754323
2. Marques, R., F. Martn, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameters: Theory, Design and Microwave Applications, Hoboken, NJ, Wiley, 2007, ISBN: 978-0-471-74582-2.
3. Ji, J. K., G. H. Kim, and W. M. Seong, "Bandwidth enhancement of metamaterial antennas based on composite right/left handed transmission line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 36-39, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2041628
4. Chen, Q., H. Zhang, Y.-J. Shao, and T. Zhong, "Bandwidth and gain improvement of an L-shaped slot antenna with metamaterial loading," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, 1411-1415, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2848639
5. Roy, S. and U. Chakraborty, "Gain enhancement of a dual-band WLAN microstrip antenna loaded with diagonal pattern metamaterials," IET Communications, Vol. 12, No. 12, 1448-1453, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-com.2018.0170
6. Joshi, J. G., S. S. Pattnaik, S. Devi, and M. R. Lohokare, "Frequency switching of electrically small patch antenna using metamaterial loading," Indian Journal of Radio & Space Physics, Vol. 40, 159-165, 2011.
7. Chou, Y.-J., G.-S. Lin, J.-F. Chen, L.-S. Chen, and M.-P. Houng, "Design of GSM/LTE multiband application for mobile phone antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 17, 1304-1306, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.1839
8. Sharma, M., N. Mishra, and R. K. Chaudhary, "SRR based compact wideband metamaterial inspired antenna for WiMAX (2.5–2.7)/WLAN (2.4–2.48)/Bluetooth (2.4–2.48)/LTE (2.3–2.4) applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 80, 109-116, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18100802
9. Sameer, K., M. Sharma, A. Abdalla, and Z. Hu, "Miniaturisation of an electrically small metamaterial inspired antenna using additional conducting layer," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Proagation, Vol. 12, No. 8, 1444-1449, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0927
10. Varamini, G., A. Keshtkar, and M. Naser-Moghadasi, "Miniaturization of microstrip loop antenna for wireless applications based on metamaterial metasurface," International Journal of Electronics and Communications (AEU), Vol. 83, 32-39, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2017.08.024
11. Liu, W., L. Xu, and H. Zhan, "Design of 2.4GHz/5GHz planar dual-band electrically small slot antenna based on impedance matching circuit," International Journal of Electronics and Communications (AEU), Vol. 83, 322-328, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2017.08.040
12. Zhu, X., Y. Gu, and W.Wu, "A novel dual band antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 516-519, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2456039
13. Rajalakshmi, P. and N. Gunavathi, "Gain enhancement of cross shaped patch antenna for IEEE 802.11ax Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 80, 91-99, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18091401
14. Gunavathi, N. and D. Sriram Kumar, "Miniaturized unilateral coplanar waveguide-fed asymmetric planar antenna with reduced radiation hazards for 80.11ac application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 2, 337-342, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.28838
15. Gunavathi, N. and D. Sriram Kumar, "CPW-fed monopole antenna with reduced radiation hazards towards human head using metallic thin-wire mesh for 802.11ac application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 11, 2684-2687, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29411
16. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1997.
17. Vidyalakshmi, M. R., B. Rekha, and P. H. Rao, "Stopband characteristics of complementary triangular split ring resonator loaded microstrip line," 2011 IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 2011.
18. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of negative permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, 195104, 2002. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.65.195104