A planar wideband circularly-polarized (CP) antenna array is designed for an X-band CubeSat. The design is a two-level sequential phase architecture, consisting of a 4 × 4 element array composed of sequentially rotated of 2 × 2 subarrays. Each subarray consists of sequentially rotated 2 × 2 antennas using metasurface. These antenna elements are incorporated with a two-level sequentially rotated phase network in order to obtain wideband characteristic and high gain. The final prototype with a size of 100 mm × 100 mm × 2.032 mm yields a measured |S11| < -10 dB bandwidth of 50% (6-10 GHz) and measured axial ratio < 3-dB bandwidth of 40.7% (6.45-9.75 GHz). Additionally, the proposed design achieves a good broadside right-hand CP radiation with a peak gain of 17.0 dBic, 3-dB gain bandwidth of 20.4% (7.5-9.2 GHz), and radiation efficiency of > 82%. With these features, the proposed antenna can be compatible with any CubeSat standard structure, as well as other small satellites.
Son Xuat Ta,
Nguyen Khac Kiem,
"A Planar Wideband Two-Level Sequentially Rotated Array Antenna for X-Band Cubesat," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 97, 57-67, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19092804
1. Gao, S., K. Clark, M. Unwin, J. Zackrisson, W. A. Shiroma, J. M. Akagi, K. Maynard, P. Garner, L. Boccia, G. Amendola, G. Massa, C. Underwood, M. Brenchley, M. Pointer, and M. N. Sweeting, "Antennas for modern small satellites," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 51, No. 4, 40-56, 2009. doi:10.1109/MAP.2009.5338683
2. Rodriguez-Osorio, R. M. and E. F. Ramirez, "A hands-on education project: Antenna design for inter-CubeSat communications," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 54, No. 5, 211-224, Oct. 201. doi:10.1109/MAP.2012.6348155
3. Rahmat-Samii, Y., V. Manohar, and J. M. Kovitz, "For satellites, think small, dream big," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 59, No. 2, 22-30, Apr. 2017. doi:10.1109/MAP.2017.2655582
4. Gao, S., Y. Rahmat-Samii, R. E. Hodges, and X. Yang, "Advanced antennas for small satellites," IEEE Proc., Vol. 106, No. 3, 391-403, Mar. 2018. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2018.2804664
5. Babuscia, A., T. Choi, J. Sauder, A. Chandra, and J. Thangavelautham, "Inflatable antenna for CubeSats: Development of the X-band prototype," Proc. IEEE Aerosp. Conf., 1-11, Big Sky, MT, USA, Mar. 2016.
6. Babuscia, A., J. Sauder, A. Chandra, J. Thangavelautham, L. Feruglio, and N. Bienert, "Inflatable antenna for CubeSat: A new spherical design for increased X-band gain," Conf., 1-10, Big Sky, MT, USA, Mar. 2017.
7. Hodges, R. E., N. Chahat, D. J. Hoppe, and D. Vacchione, "A deployable high-gain antenna bound for Mars: Developing a new folded-panel reflectarray for the first CubeSat mission to Mars," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 59, No. 2, 39-49, Apr. 2017. doi:10.1109/MAP.2017.2655561
8. Tubbal, F., R. Raad, and K. Chin, "A survey and study of planar antennas for pico-satellites," IEEE Access, Vol. 3, 2590-2612, 2015. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2015.2506577
9. Altunc, S., O. Kegege, S. Bundick, H. Shaw, S. Shaire, G. Bussey, G. Crum, J. C. Burke, S. Palo, and D. O’Conor, "X-band CubeSat communication system demonstration," 29th Annual AIAA/USU Conference Small Satellite, Logant, UT, USA, Aug. 2015.
10. Lehmensiek, R., "Design of a wideband circularly polarized 2 × 2 array with shorted annular patches at X-band on a CubeSat," 2017 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Phuket, Thailand, 2017.
11. Hu, Y., W. Ding, and W. Cao, "Broadband circularly polarized microstrip antenna array using sequentially rotated technique," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1358-1361, 2011.
12. Garcia-Aguilar, A., J. M. Inclan-Alonso, L. Vigil-Herrero, J. M. Fernandez-Gonzalez, and M. Sierra-Perez, "Low-profile dual circularly polarized antenna array for satellite communications in the X band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 5, 2276-2284, May 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2189729
13. Maddio, S., "A compact two-level sequentially rotated circularly polarized antenna array for C-band applications," Int. J. of Antennas Propag., Vol. 2015, Art. ID 830920, Oct. 2015.
14. Castro, A. T. and S. K. Sharma, "Inkjet printed wideband circularly polarized microstrip patch array antenna on a PET film flexible substrate material," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 1, 176-179, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2779440
15. Ta, S. X. and I. Park, "Low-profile broadband circularly polarized patch antenna using metasurface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 12, 5929-5934, Dec. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2487993
16. Luo, Q., F. Zhu, and S. Gao, Circularly Polarized Antennas, 6, Wiley (UK)-IEEE Press (USA), Jan. 2014. doi:10.1002/9781118790526
17. Evans, H., P. Gale, B. Aljibouri, E. Lim, E. Korolkeiwicz, and A. Sambell, "Application of simulated annealing to design of serial feed sequentially rotated 2 × 2 antenna array," Electron. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 24, 1987-1988, Nov. 2000. doi:10.1049/el:20001407