This paper proposes a novel electromagnetic band gap (EBG) structure based on a dual-layer dual-patch unit (DLDP-EBG) cell to improve isolation and decrease envelope correlation between MIMO slot antenna array elements. A wideband MIMO slot antenna array operating in the frequency range of 4.2-6.5 GHz (43%) is deployed. The antenna array is based on slotted rectangular microstrip radiating elements printed on the top surface of two stacked FR4 substrates to widen the array impedance bandwidth. A 2 x 7 dual-layer DLDP-EBG unit cell is inserted between the array elements to reduce the mutual coupling and detect the individual beams of each antenna in opposite directions. An isolation improvement of up to 56 dB is maintained throughout the working bandwidth of the antenna, when the EBG is inserted. Also, the DLDP-EBG unit cells reduce the envelope correlation coefficient by 5-30 dB across the whole operating bandwidth by detecting the radiation beams of the individual antenna elements in opposite directions. The MIMO array gain and radiation eciency have been improved after using the EBG structure due to the reduction in mutual coupling and surface wave mitigation between the array elements. The proposed low-prole MIMO slot antenna array is the first in literature to exhibit such wideband isolation improvement, gain enhancement, and correlation reduction behavior simultaneously.
"Dual-Layer Dual-Patch EBG Structure for Isolation Enhancement and Correlation Reduction in MIMO Antenna Arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 100, 233-245, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC19112607
1. Foschini, G. J., "Layered space-time architecture for wireless communication in a fading environment when using multi-element antennas," Bell Labs Technical Journal, Vol. 1, No. 2, 41-59, Autumn 1996. doi:10.1002/bltj.2015
2. Jensen, M. A. and J. W. Wallace, "A review of antennas and propagation for mimo wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2810-2824, Nov. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.835272
3. Hassan, T., M. U. Khan, H. Attia, and M. S. Sharawi, "An FSS based correlation reduction technique for MIMO antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 9, 4900-4905, Sep. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2842256
4. Nadeem, I. and D. Choi, "Study on mutual coupling reduction technique for mimo antennas," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 563-586, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2885558
5. Gauthier, G. P., A. Courtay, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Microstrip antennas on synthesized low dielectric-constant substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 8, 1310-1314, Aug. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.611252
6. Sokunbi, O., H. Attia, and S. I. Sheikh, "Microstrip antenna array with reduced mutual coupling using slotted-ring ebg structure for 5g applications," 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, 1185-1186, Jul. 2019.
7. Bait-Suwailam, M. M., O. F. Siddiqui, and O. M. Ramahi, "Mutual coupling reduction between microstrip patch antennas using slotted-complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 876-878, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2074175
8. Sarin, V. P., N. Nassar, V. Deepu, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Wideband printed microstrip antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 779-781, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2026193
9. Sharawi, M. S., "Current misuses and future prospects for printed multiple-input, multiple-output antenna systems [wireless corner]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 59, No. 2, 162-170, Apr. 2017. doi:10.1109/MAP.2017.2658346
10. Li, M., B. G. Zhong, and S. W. Cheung, "Isolation enhancement for mimo patch antennas using near-field resonators as coupling-mode transducers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 2, 755-764, Feb. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2880048
11. Zhu, Y., Y. Chen, and S. Yang, "Decoupling and low-profile design of dual-band dual-polarized base station antennas using frequency-selective surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 8, 5272-5281, Aug. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2916730
12. Li, M., L. Jiang, and K. L. Yeung, "Novel and efficient parasitic decoupling network for closely coupled antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 6, 3574-3585, Jun. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2902656
13. Sokunbi, O. and H. Attia, "Highly reduced mutual coupling between wideband patch antenna array using multiresonance EBG structure and defective ground surface," Microwave and Optical Technology Letter, 1-10, 2019.
14. Roshna, T. K., U. Deepak, V. R. Sajitha, K. Vasudevan, and P. Mohanan, "A compact uwb mimo antenna with re ector to enhance isolation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1873-1877, Apr. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2398455
15. Rajo-Iglesias, E., O. Quevedo-Teruel, L. Inclan-Sainchez, and L.-E. Garcia-Munoz, "Design of a planar ebg structure to reduce mutual coupling in multilayer patch antennas," 2007 Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference, Vol. 4, No. 4, 149-152, Apr. 2007. doi:10.1109/LAPC.2007.367453
16. Vishvaksenan, K. S., K. Mithra, R. Kalaiarasan, and K. S. Raj, "Mutual coupling reduction in microstrip patch antenna arrays using parallel coupled-line resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2146-2149, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2700521
17. Zhang, S. and G. F. Pedersen, "Mutual coupling reduction for UWB MIMO antennas with a wideband neutralization line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 166-169, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2435992
18. Ghosh, J., D. Mitra, and S. Das, "Mutual coupling reduction of slot antenna array by controlling surface wave propagation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 2, 1352-1357, Feb. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2883524
19. Radhi, A. H., R. Nilavalan, Y. Wang, H. Al-Raweshidy, A. A. Eltokhy, and N. A. Aziz, "Mutual coupling reduction with a novel fractal electromagnetic bandgap structure," IET Microwaves Antennas Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 2, 134-141, 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.5273
20. Liu, F., J. Guo, L. Zhao, X. Shen, and Y. Yin, "A meta-surface decoupling method for two linear polarized antenna array in sub-6GHz base station applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 2759-2768, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2886641
21. Li, X., G. Yang, and Y. Jin, "Isolation enhancement of wideband vehicular antenna array using fractal decoupling structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 9, 1799-1803, Sep. 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2930365
22. Alibakhshikenari, M., B. S. Virdee, C. H. See, R. Abd-Alhameed, A. Hussein Ali, F. Falcone, and E. Limiti, "Study on isolation improvement between closely-packed patch antenna arrays based on fractal metamaterial electromagnetic bandgap structures," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 14, 2241-2247, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.5103
23. Yuan, T., H. H. Ouslimani, A. C. Priou, G. Lacotte, and G. Collignon, "Dual-layer ebg structures for low-profile “bent” monopole antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 47, 315-337, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB12110502
24. Hafezifard, R., M. Naser-Moghadasi, J. R. Mohassel, and R. A. Sadeghzadeh, "Mutual coupling reduction for two closely spaced meander line antennas using metamaterial substrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 40-43, 2016.
25. Movahedinia, R., M. Niroo-jazi, M. Akbari, A. R. Sebak, and M. R. Chaharmir, "Improvement of transmit-receive array antenna isolation by employing multilayer EBG structure," 2015 IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Wireless Broadband (ICUWB), 1-4, Oct. 2015.
26. Shen, C., T. Wu, C. Chen, and D. Han, "Miniaturized and bandwidth-enhanced multilayer 1-D EBG structure for power noise suppression," 2014 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), 357-361, Aug. 2014. doi:10.1109/ISEMC.2014.6898997
27. Kim, M. and S. Ahn, "A compact and multi-stack electromagnetic bandgap structure for gigahertz noise suppression in multilayer printed circuit boards," Applied Sciences, Vol. 7, 804, Aug. 2017. doi:10.3390/app7080804
28. Microwave vision group (mvg), , [Online], Available: https://www.mvg-world.com/en/products/fieldproductfamily/antenna-measurement-2/starlab.
29. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, May 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030495
30. Khandani, A. K., "Two-way (true full-duplex) wireless," 2013 13th Canadian Workshop on Information Theory, 33-38, Jun. 2013. doi:10.1109/CWIT.2013.6621588
31. Khandani, A. K., Methods for spatial multiplexing of wireless two-way channels, patent number: 7817641, Oct. 19, 2010.
32. Jain, M., J. Choi, S. I. Sheikh, T. M. Kim, D. Bharadia, S. Seth, K. Srinivasan, P. Levis, S. Katti, and P. Sinha, "Practical, real-time, full duplex wireless," MobiCom ’11 Proceedings of the 17th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, 301-312, Sep. 2011. doi:10.1145/2030613.2030647
33. Ghosh, C. K., R. Hazra, A. Biswas, A. K. Bhattachrjee, and S. K. Parui, "Suppression of crosspolarization and mutual coupling between dual trace dual column coaxial microstrip array using dumbbell-shaped resonator," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 9, 2182-2186, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28531
34. Karimian, R., A. Kesavan, M. Nedil, and T. A. Denidni, "Low-mutual-coupling 60-GHz MIMO antenna system with frequency selective surface wall," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 373-376, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2578179