In this paper, the performance of a compact, multiband, and dual side printed microstrip patch antenna is introduced. The proposed antenna configuration is designed using a nested triangular patch and defected ground structure (DGS). A simple rectangular DGS is constituted in the ground plane, which helps to enhance the multiband characteristics of the antenna with its size. The proposed design exhibits compact size, better radiation, and reflection characteristics over a multiband frequency ranging from 1 GHz to 6 GHz. These entire bands are allied with various wireless communication services, such as GSM 1400 MHz and 1900 MHz, ISM, WLAN, Bluetooth, LTE, Wi-Fi, and GPS applications. The receiving Triangular Nested Patch (TNP) antenna offers omnidirectional radiation with 4.45 dBi gain and maximum return loss -34.31 dB at 3.75 GHz. Moreover, extraction of parameters has been presented in this paper with the variation of feed width and ground length. The proposed design shows the enhancement of gain and improved return loss. A comparative analysis has also been shown with the four different antennas parameters. Furthermore, this paper also presents the compact structure to cover efficient frequency ranging from 1400 MHz to 5.8 GHz for radiofrequency energy harvesting applications.
1. Ku, M., W. Li, Y. Chen, and K. J. Ray Liu, "Advances in energy harvesting communications: Past, present, and future challenges," IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol. 18, No. 2, 1384-1412. doi:10.1109/COMST.2015.2497324
2. Valenta, C. R. and G. D. Durgin, "Harvesting wireless power: Survey of energy-harvester conversion efficiency in far-field, wireless power transfer systems," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 15, No. 4, 108-120, June 2014, doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/MMM.2014.2309499. doi:10.1109/MMM.2014.2309499
3. Shafique, K., et al., "Energy harvesting using a low-cost rectenna for Internet of Things (IoT) applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 30932-30941, 2018, doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2834392. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2834392
4. Awais, Q., Y. Jin, H. T. Chattha, M. Jamil, H. Qiang, and B. A. Khawaja, "A compact rectenna system with high conversion efficiency for wireless energy harvesting," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 35857-35866, 2018, doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2848907. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2848907
5. Chuma, E. L., L. de la Torre Rodr´ıguez, Y. Iano, L. L. B. Roger, and M. Sanchez-Soriano, "Compact rectenna based on a fractal geometry with a high conversion energy efficiency per area," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 2, 173-178, 2018, doi: https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-map.2016.1150. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.1150
6. Mattsson, M., C. I. Kolitsidas, and B. L. G. Jonsson, "Dual-band dual-polarized full-wave rectenna based on differential field sampling," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 6, 956-959, June 2018, doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2018.2825783. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2825783
7. Shao, X., B. Li, N. Shahshahan, N. Goldsman, T. S. Salter, and G. M. Metze, "A planar dual-band antenna design for RF energy harvesting applications," 2011 International Semiconductor Device Research Symposium (ISDRS), 1-2, College Park, MD, 2011, doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/ISDRS.2011.6135318.
8. Chandravanshi, S., S. S. Sarma, and M. J. Akhtar, "Design of triple band differential rectenna for RF energy harvesting," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 6, 2716-2726, June 2018, doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2018.2819699. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2819699
9. Tavares, J., et al., "Spectrum opportunities for electromagnetic energy harvesting from 350 MHz to 3 GHz," 2013 7th International Symposium on Medical Information and Communication Technology (ISMICT), 126-130, Tokyo, 2013, doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/ISMICT.2013.6521714.
10. Nimo, A., D. Grgic, and L. M. Reindl, "Ambient Electromagnetic wireless energy harvesting using multiband planar antenna," International Multi-Conference on Systems, Signals & Devices, 1-6, Chemnitz, 2012, doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/SSD.2012.6198036.
11. Mansour, M., X. Le Polozec, and H. Kanaya, "Enhanced broadband RF differential rectifier integrated with archimedean spiral antenna for wireless energy harvesting applications," Sensors, Vol. 19, No. 3, 655, 2019, doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/s19030655. doi:10.3390/s19030655
12. Kurvey, M. and A. Kunte, "Tri-stepped rectangular antenna for efficient RF energy harvesting," J. Commun. Inf. Netw., Vol. 3, 86-90, 2018, doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s41650-018-0018-1. doi:10.1007/s41650-018-0018-1
13. Agrawal, S., M. S. Parihar, and P. N. Kondekar, "Broadband rectenna for radio frequency energy harvesting application," IETE J. of Research, Vol. 64, No. 3, 347-353, 2017. doi:10.1080/03772063.2017.1356755
14. Arrawatia, M., M. S. Baghini, and G. Kumar, "Broadband RF energy harvesting system covering CDMA GSM900 GSM1800 3G bands with inherent impedance matching," Proc. IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 1-3, San Francisco, CA, USA, 2016.
15. Arrawatia, M., M. S. Baghini, and G. Kumar, "Broadband bent triangular omnidirectional antenna for RF energy harvesting," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 36-39, 2015.
16. Booket, M. R., A. Jafargholi, M. Kamyab, H. Eskandari, M. Veysi, and S. M. Mousavi, "A compact multi-band printed dipole antenna loaded with single-cell MTM," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 1, 17-23, 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0545
17. Ali, M. M. M., A. M. Azmy, and O. M. Haraz, "Design and implementation of reconfigurable quad-band microstrip antenna for MIMO wireless communication applications," Proc. IEEE 31th National Radio Science Conference (NRSC), 27-34, Cairo, Egypt, 2014.
18. Ansal, K. A. and T. Shanmuganataham, "Compact Novel ACS fed antenna with defected ground for triple frequency operation," Proc. IEEE Annual International Conference on Emerging Research Areas and International Conference on Microelectronics, Communic, 1-4, Kanjirapally, India, 2013.
19. Ma, C., Z. Kuai, X.-W. Zhu, and W.-J. Zhu, "A broadside-coupled feeding planar multiband antenna," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp. (APSURSI), 520-521, Orlando, FL, USA, 2013.
20. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, Crawfordsville, USA, 1998.
21. Dwivedi, S., V. Mishra, and Y. P. Kosta, "Metamaterial-inspired patch antenna miniaturization technique for Satellite: Emerging Technology Trends in Electronics," Proc. IEEE 1st International Conference on Emerging Technology Trends in Electronics, Communication & Networking (ET2ECN), 1-6, Gujarat, India, 2012.
22. Taghadosi, M., L. Albasha, N. Qaddoumi, and M. Ali, "Miniaturized printed elliptical nested fractal multiband antenna for energy harvesting applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 10, 1045-1053, 2015. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2014.0744