Design of a harmonically tuned RF Power Amplifier (PA) with enhanced efficiency and gain is presented in this letter. It makes use of a tri-band impedance transformer as a two-port output network for facilitating concurrent optimum fundamental and harmonic impedances at the drain terminal. The design is augmented by analytical formulations and analysis to identify the optimal impedance matching scenario at the fundamental, second harmonic, and third harmonic. A thorough analysis reveals that the proposed PA design scheme is very simple while maintaining the performance obtained from the load-pull. A prototype operating at a frequency of 3.5 GHz is developed on RO5880 using 10W GaN HEMT. An excellent agreement between the measured and the EM simulated results validates the proposed design technique.
1. Grebennikov, A. and N. O. Sokal, Switchmode RF Power Amplifiers, Newnes, Newton, MA, USA, 2007.
2. Kim, J. H., G. D. Jo, J. F. Oh, Y. H. Kim, K. C. Lee, and J. H. Jung, "Modeling and design methodology of high-efficiency class-F and class-F−1 power amplifiers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 59, No. 1, 153-165, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2090167
3. Tanany, A. A., A. Sayed, and G. Boeck, "Analysis of broadband GaN switch mode class-E power amplifier," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 38, 151-160, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13012005
4. Raab, F. H., "Maximum efficiency and output of class-F power amplifiers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 49, No. 6, 1162-1166, 2001. doi:10.1109/22.925511
5. Xu, Y., J. Wang, and X. Zhu, "Analysis and implementation of inverse class-F power amplifier for 3.5 GHz transmitters," Proc. Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf., 410-413, 2010.
6. Lee, Y. S. and Y. H. Jeong, "A high-efficiency class-E GaN HEMT power amplifier for WCDMA applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 8, 622-624, 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.901803
7. Gao, S., P. Butterworth, S. Ooi, and A. Sambell, "High-efficiency power amplifier design including input harmonic termination," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 2, 81-83, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.863171
8. Liu, G., S. Li, Z. Cheng, H. Feng, and Z. Dong, "High efficiency broadband GaN HEMT power amplifier based on harmonic tuned matching approach," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 2, e22097, 2020.
9. Dani, A., M. Roberg, and Z. Popovic, "PA efficiency and linearity enhancement using external harmonic injection," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 12, 4097-4106, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2222918
10. Jee, S., J. Moon, J. Kim, J. Son, and B. Kim, "Switching behavior of class-E power amplifier and its operation above maximum frequency," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 1, 89-98, Dec. 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2173208
11. Lee, Y. S., M. W. Lee, and Y. H. Jeong, "High-efficiency class-F GaN HEMT amplifier with simple parasitic-compensation circuit," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 1, 55-57, 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.912023
12. Banerjee, D., A. Saxena, and M. Hashmi, "A novel independent harmonic tuned two port output network for efficiency enhanced RF power amplifiers," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 2020, doi: 10.1002/mop.32615.
13. Kamiyama, M., I. Ryo, and H. Kazuhiko, "5.65 GHz high-efficiency GaN HEMT power amplifier with harmonics treatment up to fourth order," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 6, 315-317, 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2197385
14. Saad, P., H. M. Nemati, K. Andersson, and C. Fager, "Highly efficient GaN-HEMT power amplifiers at 3.5 GHz and 5.5 GHz," Proc. IEEE WAMICON Conf., 1-4, 2011.
15. Colantonio, P., F. Giannini, R. Giofre, and L. Piazzon, "A design technique for concurrent dualband harmonic tuned power amplifier," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 56, No. 11, 2545-2555, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2004897
16. El Maazouzi, L., P. Colantonio, A. Mediavilla, and F. Giannini, "A 3.5 GHz 2nd harmonic tuned PA design,” IEEE European Microw. Conf. (EuMC),", 1090-1093, 2009.
17. Saad, P., C. Fager, H. M. Nemati, H. Cao, H. Zirath, and K. Andersson, "A highly efficient 3.5 GHz inverse class-F GaN HEMT power amplifier," Inter. Journal of Micro. Wireless Techno., Vol. 2, No. 3-4, 317-324, 2010. doi:10.1017/S1759078710000395
18. Ghannouchi, F. M. and M. S. Hashmi, Load-pull Techniques with Applications to Power Amplifier Design, Springer Series in Advanced Microelectronics, 2013. doi:10.1007/978-94-007-4461-5
19. Lin, F., C. X. Qing, and L. Zhe, "A novel tri-band branch-line coupler with three controllable operating frequencies," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 12, 666-668, 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2074191
20. Piazzon, L., P. Saad, P. Colantonio, F. Giannini, K. Andersson, and C. Fager, "Branch-line coupler design operating in four arbitrary frequencies," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 2, 67-69, 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2011.2181349
21. Banerjee, D., A. Saxena, and M. S. Hashmi, "A novel concept of virtual impedance for high frequency tri-band impedance matching networks," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II, Exp. Briefs, Vol. 65, No. 9, 1184-1188, 2018. doi:10.1109/TCSII.2018.2797129
22. Tang, X. and K. Mouthaan, "Compact dual-band power divider with single all pass coupled lines sections," IET Elect. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 10, 688-689, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.3579
23. Maktoomi, M. A., V. Panwar, M. S. Hashmi, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "A dual-band matching network for frequency-dependent complex loads suitable for dual-band RF amplifiers," IEEE Inter. Microw. RF Conf. (IMaRC), 88-91, 2014. doi:10.1109/IMaRC.2014.7038977
24. Lee, M. W., Y. S. Lee, and Y. H. Jeong, "A high-efficiency GaN HEMT hybrid class-E power amplifier for 3.5 GHz WiMAX applications," IEEE European Microw. Conf. (EuMC), 436-439, 2008.