A band-pass filter using spoof surface plasmon polaritons (SSPPs) and half-mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) for Ka-band RADAR application is proposed. In order to achieve the band-pass response, an HMSIW structure with high pass response and SSPPs with band-stop response are combined. Moreover, to investigate effects of geometric dimensions on the frequency characteristics of the proposed band-pass filter are examined by parametric analysis. It has been observed that lower cut-off and upper frequencies can be individually controlled just by changing the structural parameters. High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) software was utilized to simulate the proposed structure. HFSS is the simulation tool for complex 3-D geometries and uses the finite element method (FEM). To validate the functionality, the proposed band-pass filter is fabricated on the dielectric material RT duroid 5880 with the dielectric constant εr = 2.2, height h = 0.508 mm, and dissipation factor tanδ = 4 × 10-4. The measured result shows return loss better than -10 dB and insertion loss less than 1.25 dB with the 3 dB fractional bandwidth (FBW) of 44.02% at the center frequency of 7.95 GHz.
Alpesh D. Vala,
Jitendra P. Chaudhari,
"Spoof Surface Plasmon Polaritons and Half-Mode Substrate Integrated Waveguide Based Compact Band-Pass Filter for Radar Application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 101, 25-35, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERM20121803
5. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Guided-wave and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 1, 66-73, 2005. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0463
6. Bozzi, M., A. Georgiadis, and K. Wu, "Review of substrate-integrated waveguide circuits and antennas," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 8, 909-920, 2011. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.106.874
7. Ritchie, R. H., "Plasma losses by fast electrons in thin films," Physical Review, Vol. 106, No. 5, 874, 1957. doi:10.1038/nature01937
8. Barnes, W. L., A. Dereux, and T. W. Ebbesen, "Surface plasmon subwavelength optics," Nature, Vol. 424, No. 6950, 824-830, 2003. doi:10.1007/0-387-37825-1
9. Maier, S. A., Plasmonics: Fundamentals and Applications, Springer Science & Business Media, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.4808350
10. Shen, X. and T. J. Cui, "Planar plasmonic metamaterial on a thin film with nearly zero thickness," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 102, No. 21, 211909, 2013. doi:10.1080/09205071.2019.1632747
11. Mahant, K. and H. Mewada, "A novel Substrate IntegratedWaveguide (SIW) based highly selective filter for radar applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33, No. 13, 1718-1725, 2019. doi:10.2174/2210327909666191026093137
12. Mahant, K. and H. Mewada, "Substrate integrated waveguide based bandpass filter with defected ground structure for FMCW radar application," International Journal of Sensors Wireless Communications and Control, Vol. 10, No. 3, 421-429, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.08.009
13. Khorand, T. and M. Sajjad Bayati, "Novel half-mode substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filters using semi-hexagonal resonators," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 95, 52-58, 2018.
15. Máximo-Gutiérrez, C., J. Hinojosa, and A. Alvarez-Melcon, "Design of wide band-pass Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) filters based on stepped impedances," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 100, 1-8, 2019. doi:10.1002/mmce.21508
16. Mahant, K. and H. Mewada, "Substrate Integrated Waveguide based dual-band bandpass filter using split ring resonator and defected ground structure for SFCW Radar applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 9, e21508, 2018.
17. Patel, A., et al. "Design of highly selective bandpass filters for communication between two satellites at K band frequency," 2015 IEEE 16th Annual Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference (WAMICON), IEEE, 2015. doi:10.9734/JSRR/2015/14076
18. Zhang, Q., et al. "A hybrid circuit for spoof surface plasmons and spatial waveguide modes to reach controllable band-pass filters," Scientific Reports, Vol. 5, No. 1, 1-9, 2015. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2018.2869290
19. Chen, P., et al. "Hybrid spoof surface plasmonpolariton and substrate integrated waveguide broadband bandpass filter with wide out-of-band rejection," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 11, 984-986, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.32551
20. Mittal, G. and N. P. Pathak, "Spoof surface plasmonpolaritons based microwave bandpass filter," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 63, No. 1, 51-57, 2021.
21. Rudramuni, K., et al. "Compact bandpass filter based on hybrid spoof surface plasmon and substrate integrated waveguide transmission line," 2017 IEEE Electrical Design of Advanced Packaging and Systems Symposium (EDAPS), IEEE, 2017.
22. Singh, N., et al. "Substrate integrated waveguide wideband and ultra-wideband bandpass filters using multimode resonator," Advances in VLSI, Communication, and Signal Processing, 579-586, Springer, Singapore, 2020.